• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who's The Moron At ESPN/ABC?

Watching the LLWS on ABC today. Back and forth really tight game between Australia and Italy. Two innings to go, score is Aus 6, Italy 5, and some idiot decides to abandon the current game (being shown on national ABC) and go to one just starting (on ESPN something or other, not the mother ship). Then on the game just starting they showed one lame interview and 25 minutes of commercials and PSA's before that game (Washington vs Iowa) began.

Minutes ago I just learned (from the Internet and not the broadcast) that the final score ended 12-6 Italy (unconfirmed). This was a classic come-from-behind shootout but non-subscribers to ESPN didn't get to watch even though it was being broadcast on ABC.

This is an excellent reason why I don't, and never will, subscribe to ESPN (or any Disney owned property).

this isn't the first time ESPN on ABC pulled this stunt, i remember when NASCAR Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway had a rain delayed and that they opted to send the end of that race to ESPN as it was past the allowed time and the race ended on ESPN cause ABC needed to air America's Funniest Home Videos and they didn't want to pull a CBS and delay regularly scheduled programming for the finish of the race. in fact NBC has done this recently too, with a IndyCar race at Nashville starting the race coverage (delayed by lighting as it on the streets of Nashville, where any rain couldn't delay the race cause street/road course racing has rain tires for that type of racing) after a golf event went into a playoff and bled into their time then as the allowed time ended, NBC went to regularly scheduled programming while the race continued on CNBC (due to NASCAR being on USA at the same time at Pocono Raceway and that race too way delayed by rain).

Watching the LLWS on ABC today. Back and forth really tight game between Australia and Italy. Two innings to go, score is Aus 6, Italy 5, and some idiot decides to abandon the current game (being shown on national ABC) and go to one just starting (on ESPN something or other, not the mother ship). Then on the game just starting they showed one lame interview and 25 minutes of commercials and PSA's before that game (Washington vs Iowa) began.

Minutes ago I just learned (from the Internet and not the broadcast) that the final score ended 12-6 Italy (unconfirmed). This was a classic come-from-behind shootout but non-subscribers to ESPN didn't get to watch even though it was being broadcast on ABC.

This is an excellent reason why I don't, and never will, subscribe to ESPN (or any Disney owned property).
What ABC affiliate was it.

ABC has also botched an NFL game that originally was supposed to be on NFLN, then on CBS, and then on ABC. I feel your pain on this one.

Was the conclusion of Australia-Italy shown on ESPN+ or ESNP3, the two online-only channels of ESPN, or was it not shown anywhere? If the former was the case, then subscribing to ESPN's over-the-top service would have allowed you to see the ending you missed, as well as many other events not available on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. That's why I gladly pay for ESPN+.

Was the conclusion of Australia-Italy shown on ESPN+ or ESNP3, the two online-only channels of ESPN, or was it not shown anywhere? If the former was the case, then subscribing to ESPN's over-the-top service would have allowed you to see the ending you missed, as well as many other events not available on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. That's why I gladly pay for ESPN+.
I have no idea. I was watching the ABC OTA broadcast when they sent the game to one of the ESPN secondary cable services.

I would imagine it's a contractual rule that they have to dump out of the game on the network.

I would imagine it's a contractual rule that they have to dump out of the game on the network.
That could be but it still tends to piss most people off unless of course they are already overpaying for ESPN.

Actually, I should be using the term 'ESPN lite' because it is nothing like the original version.

That could be but it still tends to piss most people off unless of course they are already overpaying for ESPN.

Actually, I should be using the term 'ESPN lite' because it is nothing like the original version.
The one that used to show volleyball from Canada, rodeo from Mesquite, Texas, Australian rules football and punch-drunk palookas fighing at Ice World, in Totowa, New Jersey? The one that couldn't show highlights of many MLB teams on SportsCenter because their network flagships denied ESPN the rights? I think you've got the wrong ESPN to hang the "lite" label on.

The one that used to show volleyball from Canada, rodeo from Mesquite, Texas, Australian rules football and punch-drunk palookas fighing at Ice World, in Totowa, New Jersey? The one that couldn't show highlights of many MLB teams on SportsCenter because their network flagships denied ESPN the rights? I think you've got the wrong ESPN to hang the "lite" label on.
ABC's "Wide World of Sports" had that weird combination of domestic and international sports coverage long ago. ESPN was a virtual copy. Yes, it was full time whereas ABC's program was once per week but that was the only significant difference.

I'd love to see ABC have a separate sports division again.
I agree with you as long as they kept it closer to American team sports and not those really dumb shows that featured things like wrist wrestling from Petaluma. Way too much ice skating too.

I agree with you as long as they kept it closer to American team sports and not those really dumb shows that featured things like wrist wrestling from Petaluma. Way too much ice skating too.
Ice skating draws female viewers in a way no other sport can even hope to equal. Since OTA networks are supposed to appeal to general audiences, not just male team sports fanatics, you could expect to see plenty of figure skating/ice dancing coming from that new ABC sports division.

Ice skating draws female viewers in a way no other sport can even hope to equal. Since OTA networks are supposed to appeal to general audiences, not just male team sports fanatics, you could expect to see plenty of figure skating/ice dancing coming from that new ABC sports division.
With NBC having a stranglehold on Olympic sports I wonder if they would let ABC take some of it.

Although it has definitely changed since the 60's sports programming used to be aimed mainly at a mostly male audience. One excellent way to remove those viewers is to show too many mostly female sports such as ice skating. An attempt to hang on or attract males is probably why beach volleyball was invented.

Although it has definitely changed since the 60's sports programming used to be aimed mainly at a mostly male audience. One excellent way to remove those viewers is to show too many mostly female sports such as ice skating. An attempt to hang on or attract males is probably why beach volleyball was invented.
Beach volleyball existed as a recreational sport -- on actual beaches -- long before competitions were organized and TV televised them.

There isn’t some person willy nilly making these decisions. In today’s multichannel cable world these decisions are based on contractual obligations. Networks and cable channels have to follow those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom