• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whole lot changes in South Mississippi

First, WZKX Kicker 108 in Gulfport/Biloxi is now broadcasting in HD radio. On HD1 as KICKER 108 as Country, HD2 The Quake as Classic Rock and then HD3 The Hype as Throwback Hip-pop.

Second, WFFX 103.7 The Fox is moving away from Hattiesburg area. The transmitter is moving to New Orleans area so I don’t know what going to help with the format. But on the Louisiana page in radiodiscussions.com they saying that 104.1 the spot is moving in to Baton Rouge area and that’s why 103.7 frequency is available in New Orleans.

The move of WFFX is bizarre to me. Has such an extreme move happened in recent memory? This isn't just changing a community of license to cover a neighboring market; this is taking a radio station and moving it completely out and into a different city and state, and market.

The move of WFFX is bizarre to me. Has such an extreme move happened in recent memory? This isn't just changing a community of license to cover a neighboring market; this is taking a radio station and moving it completely out and into a different city and state, and market.
IHeart radio has apply for relocate the transmitter to New Orleans area. New info is on fccdata.org

IHeart radio has apply for relocate the transmitter to New Orleans area. New info is on fccdata.org
I know. I'm asking if such a move has happened recently or if this is as unusual as it seems. It's not everyday one hears of a radio station being reassigned to a completely different area than it currently covers.

Back in 2002, iHeart (then Clear Channel) filed a petition for rule making with the FCC to move 103.7 from Hattiesburg, Ms to Westwego, La., along with moving 104.1 from Houma, La. to Gonzales, La. The petition for rulemaking was withdrawn eventually and the move never happened. See MB Docket No. 02-295.

I had to do some research on the FCC website but 101.1 WLIN Durant-Kosciusko just filed and application to move to 103.7 as well and from the maps the moving of WFFX allows them to go basically non directional instead of the limits to the southeast that it has on 101.1fm. With 103.9 Jackson being a C3 WYAB and WLIN have to be 89 miles apart and they just are. But any chance to boost 103.9 WYAB to higher class would be lost but as a Full class C3 WYAB probably will cover the only areas that matter to WYAB.

Hey all -

I cannot speak to the WLIN changes, but WYAB's main limiting factor to upgrading further is WCLD 103.9 FM in Cleveland, MS. We are just happy to pick up the full C3 from the current WYAB tower site!

--- Casual Observer

Hey all -

I cannot speak to the WLIN changes, but WYAB's main limiting factor to upgrading further is WCLD 103.9 FM in Cleveland, MS. We are just happy to pick up the full C3 from the current WYAB tower site!

--- Casual Observer
I was gonna ask if there’s a chance WYAB moves to, say, 104.1, but WZKS Union would block a move eastward. One move I can think of that could possibly work is swapping with WOAD’s 103.5 FM signal. The 103.3s in Greenwood and Collinsville/Meridian would be the only stations standing in the way.

I did read on the Louisiana board that EMF filed to move 107.1 in Collins/Hattiesburg to 103.7, allowing EMF to upgrade its 107.1 in Gulfport. The same post also said WMXI Ellisville will move to 107.1. That move doesn’t make sense to me if 107.1 Gulfport upgrades, unless WMXI moves its tower northward, which would take away Hattiesburg coverage. Perhaps, WMXI could still move the tower and add height to keep or even enhance Hattiesburg coverage. If WMXI does move, it would be cool if WCPR upgrades its signal to get into Hattiesburg. I hated it when I would get to US 98 and WCPR’s signal would start to fade out.

Last edited:
It would be nice if WCPR FM would move it transmitter to WZNF 95.3 Gorilla tower on Wire Rd in McHenry, MS. That will give 97.9 CPR complete coverage area for the whole South Mississippi.

I just found out that WXYK 105.9 The Monkey just relocated their transmitter from Ocean Springs tower over to WOSM 103.1 tower I believe on Highway 57 and Highway 90 but no big change on height and power but less coverage over Gulfport Biloxi area and more coverage over in Jackson County and some parts of South Alabama. WXYK-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

100.5 in Atlanta was formerly 100.7 in Anniston, AL.

Actually 100.5 serving the Atlanta market now was on 100.5 while in Anniston. Use to pick it up in Stockbridge while in Anniston
Very interesting... Wow.

In the late 90's, a handful of stations were moved from Sherman/Denison, TX to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Each move required multiple moves, a few across multiple stations and states, to happen. I last lived in DFW in 1996, and I can think of at least six station moves from the Texoma area into the Metroplex since I left.

This may be among the most extreme in recent years, but it's not unprecedented nor an anomaly by any means.

I know. I'm asking if such a move has happened recently or if this is as unusual as it seems. It's not everyday one hears of a radio station being reassigned to a completely different area than it currently covers.
Not exactly the same, but in NY state by me when 96.7 then WTSX-FM in Port Jervis, NY in Orange County had to move it's COL to Lehman Township, PA which is probably 50 miles from Port Jervis (Port Jervis closer to NJ and PA) because of WARW FM on 96.7 in Port Chester, NY (Port Chester is closer to Connecticut and NYC) moving into the NYC market. WTSX was part of the Hudson Valley Market and moved to the Stroudsburg PA market. This happened in 2011. WTSX is now WVPO-FM.

Last edited:
Hey all -

The associated WYAB 103.9 FM upgrade and WLIN 101.1 FM frequency move to 103.7 FM applications were granted this morning. Both are contingent on WFFX relocating to Marrero/New Orleans, LA, of course.

--- Casual Observer

Back
Top Bottom