• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will be the new format for WRCA?

Beasley, and as for 106.1 they may not be able to do much of an upgrade due to being boxed in by WNBP's // in Newburyport, WCOD etc
And when WJIB's // on 101.3 gets on how bad will it be because of pirate Big City?FCC should really go after them...even if pirates return despite warnings or seizures, Touch 106.1 and Datz Hitz 99.7 were taken off, for good, a sign the feds can still be effective.

They REALLY NEED to somehow improve their signals. Maybe upgrade 92.9 hd2, and, or 106.1.
94.5 hd2 comes in fine in Boxborough, but the other signals are unlistenable

That may be because the 94.5 transmitter is in Newton, about ten miles closer to Boxborough than the other two in Boston.

That makes sense, Eli.
We're losing the local Bloomberg service here.
Maybe Beasley could move their signal to another HD2 signal, such as WKLB HD2, or WBQT HD2

The owners of 92.9 HD2, and 106.1. Beasley.
Was that a trick question, or did my post confuse you?

Since you didn't use a quote (i.e..the "reply with quote" button), I wasn't sure who you were responding too.....if you were talking about the AM's, the translators or what.

Hey, it's a 21 page thread! Lots of stations were mentioned. ;-)

WRCA w/dc, W291CZ Still w/“Translation”!?!

Uht-oh, 13-30 has been with a dead carrier since sometime late Friday night-early Saturday morning, but its 106.1 TRANSLATOR—which needs a “translatee” which, in this case, is 1.330—has been running Bloomberg, thoughout! Isnʼt that an unequivocal FCC no-no? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What if Beasley is buying WNBP and its 106.1 translator to shut the latter off and help their own 106.1? Could they thus increase power?
Sunday just before noon 1330 still w dead carrier

What if Beasley is buying WNBP and its 106.1 translator to shut the latter off and help their own 106.1? Could they thus increase power?
Why buy two to shut off one, when they can just make all four one big happy simulcast and extend the 106.1 fringe reach from Boston to southern ME?
Not likely.
Most probably, this is just the all too common case of an automated operation going amok, with no one around to do anything about it or even know about it. :eek:

Uht-oh, 13-30 has been with a dead carrier since sometime late Friday night-early Saturday morning, but its 106.1 TRANSLATOR—which needs a “translatee” which, in this case, is 1.330—has been running Bloomberg, thoughout! Isnʼt that an unequivocal FCC no-no? :rolleyes:

Technical problems present a loophole, I believe. WNTY Southington, CT's AM has been down several times, but the FM translator keeps right on going. Either it's a legit way out of the requirement or nobody's complaining about it and nobody at the FCC cares to enforce.

I don't think it's a no-no. A translator of a daytime only AM station can originate programming while the AM station is off the air. And I believe the same is the case if there are technical problems. Here in the Hartford Market there have been times when WNTY 990-AM has been off the air due to no power at their studio/tower site on Old Turnpike Road in the Plantsville section in Southington and the KOOL Radio Oldies format has continued uninterrupted on their 96.1 Translator which has its antenna mounted on the antenna of their FM sister station WMRQ 104.1 on
Meriden Mountain.

Technical problems present a loophole, I believe. WNTY Southington, CT's AM has been down several times, but the FM translator keeps right on going. Either it's a legit way out of the requirement or nobody's complaining about it and nobody at the FCC cares to enforce.

Today 96.1 was running a dead carrier for 5 1/2 hours while the AM was running Italian Programing and the shut-in church mass. The other day both were running a dead carrier from 11PM until just after 6AM the following morning when I sent a Tweet to their sister station Radio 104.1 WMRQ.

It could very well be Beasley that bought them, as I was told from people inside WNBP that they were looking into suing Beasley for interfering with their translator.

Beasley could buy WNBP and the translator out of petty cash, and for cheaper than what it would cost them to defend any action either in court or before the FCC

WNBP and the translator would not interfere with the ownership cap WRT number of stations IIRC ( but feel free to correct me) and WNBP's billing would not even make a dent in the revenue percentage cap.

The sad thing is I LIKE WNBP, and their translator is a frequent listen to when I am up that way.

Pete Falconi is widely respected in the broadcasting community. Jeff Lawrence and Jackie Ankelese are great talents. In the background there are long time radio people like Mark Hatem. I hate to see people get sent to the beach....

WNBP is local radio, and if that goes away it is a loss to the community.

I wonder how that would work out.....

Are translators guaranteed interference free contours?

I know LPFM's have no recourse, I am not sure about translators, but the WNBP Amesbury translator was there first, and they have to take the hit from WCOD coming across the water, and that does have an impact on them that they can do nothing about.

But the 106.1 at 99 watts and over 700' up on the Hancock or Pru ( I forget where and I am too tired to look) is covering a LOT of real estate, including into southern NH.

I was flying my drone today and from where I am in NH I had line of site to the Back Bay from 250 feet up, so that finally explains how Beasley's little 99 watt miracle is "making the trip" some 30 miles line of site.

Attachments

• DJI_0633ba.jpg
    DJI_0633ba.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 15
Dave Macaulay of the Sat oldies show had a tearful farewell Saturday as he thanked Win (Damon), Pete (Falconi), and Carl (Strube) as well as Bill McMahon (announcer?) and said in a bit over a month later he'd be at WHAV-LP
WNBP had a facebook post saying they were celebrating 60 years of serving Newburyport etc but didn't quite mention
the future?

>>Celebrating 60 years of classic hits from the 50's, 60's & 70's! Happy birthday to us! Thank you Newburyport for your continued support & birthday wishes on the Bartlet Mall!

But the 106.1 at 99 watts and over 700' up on the Hancock or Pru ( I forget where and I am too tired to look) is covering a LOT of real estate, including into southern NH.

There's not a lot of "settled law" or "case law" on Translators....I wonder how that would turn out?

I would put my money on whoever has the highest paid lawyer and the biggest pockets. ;-)

But I suppose EVERY station would love to have a frequency all to themselves.....

I would recommend a phone call to Mary Menna at Beasley Media Group Boston.
I spoke to her a few weeks ago, and it seems she was just then getting info. On the poor reception on all the Beasley signals that are carrying Bloomberg, WRCA was on and off then as well.
The 106.1 signal needs to be upgraded at all costs as long as they call themselves Bloomberg 106.1

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom