• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What are some TV stations that have kept the same logo for many years...

And there are more. This one has to be WTWO-2 Terre Haute, not WLWD (now WDTN), both NBC, both channel 2.

1656042758765.png

And I'm willing to bet that this county (Breathitt) actually got WSAZ-3 Huntington WV, not WAVE, both NBC, both channel 3:

1656042880021.png

Many broadcasters market themselves as low-digit stations even though the reality is that they are on UHF and/or have a UHF PSIP channel, such as ABC7 in both Sarasota and Fort Myers (two different stations), NBC10 in Boston, and KESQ-3 (PSIP 42) and KMIR-6 (PSIP 36) in Palm Springs CA. At the end of the day, a low channel number is always preferable to a high channel number. CBS had to do the walk of shame when they were relegated to channel 62 in Detroit.
How many local TV stations leave out channel numbers to take into account that they are on cable or on streamed at their TV app.

I can identify some of them like statewide PBS affiliates like Oregon Public Broadcasting, PBS Hawaii, NJTV, Nebraska Public Media are identifed by their statewide brand affiliation and not so much by Channel numbers because of Cable, streaming and OTA placements.

Or earlier where I mentioned NBC Bay Area, Note there are others like NBC Palm Springs which is managed by Entravision.

CBS in Baltimore was Westinghouse. Still has the old font on the Billboard call sign on Durid Hill (at lease as of 2020 when I did a project there)20200530_161618.jpg

And there are more. This one has to be WTWO-2 Terre Haute, not WLWD (now WDTN), both NBC, both channel 2.

View attachment 3157
I lived in Bloomington IN, 20 miles north of Bedford, in that era. I can guarantee you that WLWD could not override WTWO under normal circumstances. Even when the Cincy stations and Channel 7 in Dayton were clear (a rarity; they were usually snowy) and the antenna pointed toward them, Channel 2 would be an unviewable mess with both WTWO and WLWD combined.

CBC, made minor changes to their logo 30 years ago, uses their so called circled logo. The earliest one is the exploding pizza logo from nearly 50 years ago, designed by Burton Kramer, who also designed the OECA logo. AEF63B21-6EE7-4116-8590-47D16AEFDCA3.jpeg

Here is one of the Philippines longest running TV Network Logos the ABS-CBN Logo. Note there is a gap between 1972-1986 when the network was banned due to the Marcos Administration declaration of Martial Law.

Here are the logo over the years.

And note ABS-CBN still exists but this time mainly on Cable and streaming TV apps in the Philippines. It was due to a congress and the Duterte Administration going after the license of the network. Note in the Philippines broadcasting licenses are by network.

Note the networks former O&O's are under permits by other companies.

Attachments

• 148-1487179_abs-cbn-corporation-logo.png
    148-1487179_abs-cbn-corporation-logo.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 186px-Abscbn80s.svg.png
    186px-Abscbn80s.svg.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3362cd559c5f04c68df14644e0f2ead7.jpg
    3362cd559c5f04c68df14644e0f2ead7.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220627-172451379~2.png
    Screenshot_20220627-172451379~2.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
KDKA doesn't quite use the same "2" as KCBS and WCBS, as you noticed in the above pictures. I believe it's in the Helvetica font family, but the thickness of the "2s" are different. Just below is WBBM-TV's current logo; it's not as thick as K/WCBS' "2"s, it's just bit condensed.

View attachment 3049

Back to Los Angeles...KTLA's present logo has been around 2009 (tweaked in '15), but it's a variation of their 1981-97 logo...
View attachment 3051View attachment 3052

Here are some interesting ones KNSO-TV Fresno now a Telemundo affiliate managed by NBC at one point borrowed the KTLA 5 Logo in the late 1990's. Once the station got the Telemundo affiliation they had to drop the KTLA look from the KNSO-TV Logo.

Attachments

• KNSO_51_96_LOGO.jpg
    KNSO_51_96_LOGO.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 120px-KNSO_WB_51_logo.jpg
    120px-KNSO_WB_51_logo.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1
They are one of several stations that do a variation on the Circle 7, not exactly like the ABC logo.

It may just be my imagination, but the KSWO and WBBJ logos look just a little different from the ABC Circle 7, and I refer to dimensions, not color. The number 7 lends itself to being cleanly depicted within a circle, with the three ends touching the circle, in a way that none of the other channels 2 through 9 do.

WGHP also had a pretty cool logo, helped by the fact that the number 8 is similar to the small-case "g":

View attachment 3061

WCHS in Charleston WV had a similar logo, but I can't find it. This logo used to be on the matchbooks at Shoney's:

View attachment 3062
WCHS had the ei8ht logo, as did WJW.

I lived in Bloomington IN, 20 miles north of Bedford, in that era. I can guarantee you that WLWD could not override WTWO under normal circumstances. Even when the Cincy stations and Channel 7 in Dayton were clear (a rarity; they were usually snowy) and the antenna pointed toward them, Channel 2 would be an unviewable mess with both WTWO and WLWD combined.
Not to mention that in the WLW-D days, the Dayton station's power was kept lower than optimum because of co-owned stations in Cincinnati and Columbus.

My default pic should say it all for my favorite station...

WCKT/WSVN since 1976. However, its legendary for the 1983 circle 7 red version that still stands today. My favorite.

View attachment 3149
And WHDH Boston have the same logo as WSVN since Sunbeam took over the station back in 1993. This is one of the oldest logos in Boston too along with WGBH inc and WCVB-TV.

I would have expected a similar Channel 2 analog mess in parts of southern and south-central Illinois whose TV reception at least in the analog era was mostly fringe reception. This time with KTVI St. Louis and WTWO. Especially anywhere enclosed by at least a Pana/Shelbyville-Vandalia-Effingham-Flora-Salem/Centralia outlined area.

I know this logo is associated with KUSA Denver and now WUSA Washington DC but this logo is longest running via unrelated affiliations and unrelated owners.

KMBC, WSOC and WSYR have used the "9" logo inside a circle. KUSA and WUSA use the 9 in associated with their respective affiliations. KMSP and KHJ-TV at one point used the "9" logo. Note it's more like that logo is used for syndicated purposes as far as I am aware of.

Attachments

• ed32a052c9a699436594c16f1204df32.jpg
    ed32a052c9a699436594c16f1204df32.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 9
  • wusa9.png
    wusa9.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Kusa_9.png
    Kusa_9.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Khj1979.jpg
    Khj1979.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
  • WSYR_favicon.png
    WSYR_favicon.png
    336.2 KB · Views: 7
WKBW Buffalo when they were bought by Scripps had the same logo as their sister station in Detroit a circle 7 logo. They have recently changed to a new logo which looks somewhat like their original logo when they went on the air in 1958 but modernized.
And WKBW's current logo looks remarkably similar (outside of it being ABC in Buffalo) to what my local CBS (WSPA) had from 2001-2016 (when WSPA's news was still NewsChannel 7 [it became 7 On Your Side in the last 5 years of that logo's existence, before becoming 7 News in 2016 and adopting its current logo]).

WTVT.jpg
The WTVT logo is the longest running logo in Tampa since 1989. This logo was also used at KOVR Sacramento and KERA Dallas at one point. But this logo is also used at WHBQ-TV Memphis.

Note WTVT had to remove the Searchlights as part of Disney taking over 20th Century Studios from Fox Inc in 2019. Note WHBQ keeps the Searchlights on the 13 logo as of 2022.

WHBQ_1200x630.png

Last edited:
,IMG_20151112_170637.jpg
Here what I meant by other stations using the WTVT logo here is one from Dallas.KOVR_13_NEWS_OPEN_-_1989_-_SACRAMENTO,_CA.jpg

Here is one from Sacramento when KOVR was the ABC affiliate prior to 1995 when they became a CBS affiliate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom