• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas

Yes, at the moment.

Different situation. B-101 rebranded to More 101.1 because the old "rounded" frequency was no longer useful and the name had been in use for more than a decade. WBEB is one of the most research driven stations in the country, and they likely wanted to get ahead of any perception that the station was "for people older than me".

As to refreshing the music, they do that several times a year after each music test.

First off, Frank I'm ok if you split this section off into another thread on either the programming or sales board, as that's where I'm going here.
Small anecdote here, when I was little, my parents didn't, and still don't like rap music. They saw it, and KUBE, as crap. Beginning in 2008, I began becoming more open to CHR, including rap. At the same time, KUBE I think was transitioning to a more pop-based approach, though that perception stuck with me until well into 2012. Granted I wasn't the radio geek I am now, but this is an interesting question, when do you rebrand a station that is doing well? Would a shift from an Urban lean to a pop lean usually warrant a rebranding? Btw, I am quite aware of the other issues KUBE had.

And they can simply update the imaging, positioners and stuff and come back as fresh and new after Christmas. Perception is what counts.
Star has been having their lunch handed to them on many fronts - Warm and Kiss have been eating away at them in the Hot AC game. The Jet has taken the AC lane and has proven to be a winner. Consistently. $50 says the NEW Star is a rehash of what was. Keep putting lip stick on that pig.

Star has been having their lunch handed to them on many fronts - Warm and Kiss have been eating away at them in the Hot AC game. The Jet has taken the AC lane and has proven to be a winner. Consistently. $50 says the NEW Star is a rehash of what was. Keep putting lip stick on that pig.

You mean the pig that prints money? That's the ratings that REALLY matter, not what someone out of the demo thinks.

You mean the pig that prints money? That's the ratings that REALLY matter, not what someone out of the demo thinks.

In other words, a real flying pig!

It seems like KIXI is all Christmas music now. Also, KING FM HD3 switched to the Classical Christmas channel awhile ago.

Last edited:
With all of this acute surveillance of music libraries of late, I'm stunned nobody has reported how Kokomo is in power rotation on The Jet.

With all of this acute surveillance of music libraries of late, I'm stunned nobody has reported how Kokomo is in power rotation on The Jet.

Mike Love passed through KOMO-TV to promote his recent book. He commented that it was nice to be able to stop at Ko-KOMO.

Why? They are the billing leader among music stations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Star is NOT the #1 biller in the market. Add a zero after the 1 and you have KPLZ's billing rank - #10. It's been like that for years. Total rev leader in the market is KQMV followed by KIRO-FM and KISW.

Also, Bob, KPLZ does not "win the target demo of women 25-54". They've only been in the top 5 twice this year M-F 6a-7p. They're down 48% year to year. November they finished ranked #10 in prime, and #15 in mornings. Read that again...Kent and Alan are ranked #15 with Women 25-54, down 65% year to year.

The two of you are as bad as those fake news sites that got Trump elected. If you don't have the facts you just make them up.

Back to the topic at hand though - KPLZ is hemorrhaging listeners. Their billing is respectable right now, but this ratings slump will absolutely have a negative impact on their 2017 annuals. If they're going to make a move, now would be the time...write off 2017, get a full year of ratings under your belt with a new format and then head into 2018 annuals with something to show. I wouldn't be shocked if they make some changes after Christmas. But it's Sinclair and radio isn't their game, so who the hell knows.

Wow how times have changed. The 25-54 rankings haven't been discussed here in a couple years, and I don't have access to the numbers. David, on the other hand, should, not sure what he's looking at or what you're looking at for that matter. I trust you though, since you're in the market. That makes me wonder though if the changes are going to be deeper than anyone expects?

Wow how times have changed. The 25-54 rankings haven't been discussed here in a couple years, and I don't have access to the numbers. David, on the other hand, should, not sure what he's looking at or what you're looking at for that matter. I trust you though, since you're in the market. That makes me wonder though if the changes are going to be deeper than anyone expects?

As I posted earlier, I expect a more mainstream AC product from KPLZ. Could be wrong, but this seems to be the natural opening. Armchair? Guilty.

Last edited:
Star is NOT the #1 biller in the market. Add a zero after the 1 and you have KPLZ's billing rank - #10. It's been like that for years. Total rev leader in the market is KQMV followed by KIRO-FM and KISW.

Also, Bob, KPLZ does not "win the target demo of women 25-54". They've only been in the top 5 twice this year M-F 6a-7p. They're down 48% year to year. November they finished ranked #10 in prime, and #15 in mornings. Read that again...Kent and Alan are ranked #15 with Women 25-54, down 65% year to year.

The two of you are as bad as those fake news sites that got Trump elected. If you don't have the facts you just make them up.

Pot, meet kettle. You're making a lot of assertions without proof. Back it up with some numbers and we'll believe you. Maybe.

I did not say #1 biller. I said it was the top music station biller, based on 2015 results from the accepted industry source for revenue figures.

The rank is KIRO, KPLZ / KISW (tie) KIRO (AM) KMPS, KWRM, KOMO, KJR, KBKS, KZOK, KQMV.

Isn't it odd that KQMV is the #10 billing station, even though it's #1 overall and #1 in the morning? While it's a Top 40 station, it leans adult, especially thanks to Brooke & Jubal. Who would guess it is outperformed by KBKS, which has recently modified from Top 40 to Hot AC. Meanwhile KPLZ is tied for second in billing while it's #13 in the ratings.

Also note, KIRO-AM is the #4 biller, even though its an AM station and is #15 in the ratings. I guess Sports outperforms its ratings numbers, and maybe 710 is sold in combination with KIRO-FM. But that's a surprise.

Isn't it odd that KQMV is the #10 billing station, even though it's #1 overall and #1 in the morning? While it's a Top 40 station, it leans adult, especially thanks to Brooke & Jubal. Who would guess it is outperformed by KBKS, which has recently modified from Top 40 to Hot AC. Meanwhile KPLZ is tied for second in billing while it's #13 in the ratings.

One caveat: the numbers I gave are for the full 2015 year, and a lot can change in 11 months. However, revenue tends to lag both ratings increases and drops because buys are seldom based on just one or two books.

Also note, KIRO-AM is the #4 biller, even though its an AM station and is #15 in the ratings. I guess Sports outperforms its ratings numbers, and maybe 710 is sold in combination with KIRO-FM. But that's a surprise.

Not unusual. For decades... going back to the late 80's... WFAN in New York was around 15th in ratings and in the top couple of stations in revenue.

It may be a surprise to you, but for those of us who are here in Seattle and know the little nuances of a market that don't show up in Google searches and beauty contest ratings it's no surprise at all.

A good chunk of business is driven by relationships first then ratings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom