• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFCN 100.3 Cincy goes Urban oldies

This makes sense. Cincinnati has a large enough African-American population to support an Urban station, 101.1 WIZF. But no Adult Urban format. (Oddly enough, Dayton has an Urban AC, 92.1 WROU, but no Urban station. These stations are only Class As so they can't serve both markets, as some full power FM stations do.)

It is unusual for an FM Sports station to give up so quickly. Of course, it had a lot of competition for Sports listeners, with WLW the home of the Reds and Bengals and running Sports Talk in the evening, plus ESPN affiliate 1530 WCKY and Fox affiliate 1360 WSAI.

My question though is this... Why Urban Oldies and not Urban AC? Doesn't going back so far for past hits hurt your demographics? Takes you out of the running for decent 18-34 and 18-49 ratings?

Why didn't they just keep MOJO 100.3? Sometimes Radio One makes weird decisions. Next, I wonder how long they will keep the NEWS 92 station in Houston?

This is good news given the situation in Cincy. :D Would not necessarily be good news if RO brought this generic format to existing an urban station in another market. The new OS station in Phila. may have led to the premature exodus of WDAS-AM though I did not think that was going to last too long when they put the oldies on AM last year.

Gregg said:
This makes sense. Cincinnati has a large enough African-American population to support an Urban station, 101.1 WIZF. But no Adult Urban format. (Oddly enough, Dayton has an Urban AC, 92.1 WROU, but no Urban station. These stations are only Class As so they can't serve both markets, as some full power FM stations do.)

It is unusual for an FM Sports station to give up so quickly. Of course, it had a lot of competition for Sports listeners, with WLW the home of the Reds and Bengals and running Sports Talk in the evening, plus ESPN affiliate 1530 WCKY and Fox affiliate 1360 WSAI.

My question though is this... Why Urban Oldies and not Urban AC? Doesn't going back so far for past hits hurt your demographics? Takes you out of the running for decent 18-34 and 18-49 ratings?

Gregg, Dayton does have an Urban station. Main Line Broadcasting's HOT 102.9/WDHT is Hip-Hop and R&B while sister station 92.1 WROU is Urban AC.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Why didn't they just keep MOJO 100.3? Sometimes Radio One makes weird decisions. Next, I wonder how long they will keep the NEWS 92 station in Houston?

MOJO actually sounded good before the flip to Sports. Playing Old School and New Wave hits. This verison will have a more Urban Oldies lean.

While it's good news that Cincinnati has gotten a station back, I wish Radio One would at least daypart WIZF. Seems like all their hip hop rnb stations are either mainstream urban or rhythmic.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Gregg said:

Gregg, Dayton does have an Urban station. Main Line Broadcasting's HOT 102.9/WDHT is Hip-Hop and R&B while sister station 92.1 WROU is Urban AC.

I wouldn't call WDHT a "Urban", since BDS and Mediabase has it listed on their Rhythmic reporting panels.

Well, the dividing line between Urban and Top 40/Rhythmic is sometimes a dotted line. Sometimes Urban stations say they're Rhythmic because they think that will give them a sales advantage.

And even though WDHT is licensed to Springfield, I guess it covers the Dayton market OK.

Gregg said:
Well, the dividing line between Urban and Top 40/Rhythmic is sometimes a dotted line. Sometimes Urban stations say they're Rhythmic because they think that will give them a sales advantage.
If stations like KMEL, WPGC, KBXX, KBFB, WHHH, WQHT and KXHT serve as an indication, many of them show up on the rhythmic panel but their musical selection is set to urban. Many of them like KMEL and WPGC were 90's era R&B stations under the CHR format banner.

Obviously the right move for Radio One. Old School 100.3 (now WOSL) had a 1.5 share in the August ratings book (0.1 from February to July with the sports format), even though the ratings for that frequency were for two weeks as sports "The Fan" and two weeks as "Old School."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom