• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBEZ makes cuts.

If I remember correctly, 91.1 was originally a class D FM - not an LPFM - based in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. (I lived just off the north end of Lake Shore Drive so I never heard it during my time in Chicago.) When did that become a translator and what was the reasoning?

If I remember correctly, 91.1 was originally a class D FM - not an LPFM - based in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. (I lived just off the north end of Lake Shore Drive so I never heard it during my time in Chicago.) When did that become a translator and what was the reasoning?
You’re thinking of WRTE 90.7 — which was at one time a relay of Vocalo. WRTE is still under Chicago Public Media ownership but is relaying WDCB.

You’re thinking of WRTE 90.7 — which was at one time a relay of Vocalo. WRTE is still under Chicago Public Media ownership but is relaying WDCB.
Right you are...yes, with a mighty 6 watts. Was owned by a museum specializing in Mexican immigrant art, as I recall. Thanks!

I think a WBEZ simulcast on 89.5 would make the most sense. Unless they lease or sell the station to make up their funding deficit. Or maybe a NPR simulcast would bother Lakeshore public radio.

It’s too bad tho - there really wasn’t any other station in Chicago that played music like that.

Minnesota Public Radio is trying something similar with “Carbon Sound.” We shall see if they are effective.

A friend works at WBEZ and still has a job, but shakes their head at the decision-making, including taking in the Sun-Times, a once-thriving newspaper that in 2022 sold 63,000 copies daily and 70,000 on Sunday and bleeds red ink. Then there's the new $6 million studio – so I've been told – and finally, that the layoffs were made by the outgoing CEO, who may be leaving but was given a 19 percent raise to over $600,000 annually in recent months. Make of it what you will.

A friend works at WBEZ and still has a job, but shakes their head at the decision-making, including taking in the Sun-Times, a once-thriving newspaper that in 2022 sold 63,000 copies daily and 70,000 on Sunday and bleeds red ink. Then there's the new $6 million studio – so I've been told – and finally, that the layoffs were made by the outgoing CEO, who may be leaving but was given a 19 percent raise to over $600,000 annually in recent months. Make of it what you will.
Despite seeming to be a bloated and excessive salary, $600 k a year for a fund-raising-dependent non-profit is within the normal range. Pay less and you get less, and that means the ability to raise funds.

I think a WBEZ simulcast on 89.5 would make the most sense. Unless they lease or sell the station to make up their funding deficit. Or maybe a NPR simulcast would bother Lakeshore public radio.

It’s too bad tho - there really wasn’t any other station in Chicago that played music like that.

Minnesota Public Radio is trying something similar with “Carbon Sound.” We shall see if they are effective.

Hyfin in Milwaukee, The Drop in Denver, The Vibe in Houston are other ones.

To be honest, Vocalo feels very sleepy to me in comparison to the others I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom