• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBEZ makes cuts.

If I remember correctly, 91.1 was originally a class D FM - not an LPFM - based in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. (I lived just off the north end of Lake Shore Drive so I never heard it during my time in Chicago.) When did that become a translator and what was the reasoning?

If I remember correctly, 91.1 was originally a class D FM - not an LPFM - based in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. (I lived just off the north end of Lake Shore Drive so I never heard it during my time in Chicago.) When did that become a translator and what was the reasoning?
You’re thinking of WRTE 90.7 — which was at one time a relay of Vocalo. WRTE is still under Chicago Public Media ownership but is relaying WDCB.

You’re thinking of WRTE 90.7 — which was at one time a relay of Vocalo. WRTE is still under Chicago Public Media ownership but is relaying WDCB.
Right you are...yes, with a mighty 6 watts. Was owned by a museum specializing in Mexican immigrant art, as I recall. Thanks!

I think a WBEZ simulcast on 89.5 would make the most sense. Unless they lease or sell the station to make up their funding deficit. Or maybe a NPR simulcast would bother Lakeshore public radio.

It’s too bad tho - there really wasn’t any other station in Chicago that played music like that.

Minnesota Public Radio is trying something similar with “Carbon Sound.” We shall see if they are effective.

A friend works at WBEZ and still has a job, but shakes their head at the decision-making, including taking in the Sun-Times, a once-thriving newspaper that in 2022 sold 63,000 copies daily and 70,000 on Sunday and bleeds red ink. Then there's the new $6 million studio – so I've been told – and finally, that the layoffs were made by the outgoing CEO, who may be leaving but was given a 19 percent raise to over $600,000 annually in recent months. Make of it what you will.

A friend works at WBEZ and still has a job, but shakes their head at the decision-making, including taking in the Sun-Times, a once-thriving newspaper that in 2022 sold 63,000 copies daily and 70,000 on Sunday and bleeds red ink. Then there's the new $6 million studio – so I've been told – and finally, that the layoffs were made by the outgoing CEO, who may be leaving but was given a 19 percent raise to over $600,000 annually in recent months. Make of it what you will.
Despite seeming to be a bloated and excessive salary, $600 k a year for a fund-raising-dependent non-profit is within the normal range. Pay less and you get less, and that means the ability to raise funds.

Back
Top Bottom