• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TNT/TBS to rebrand as Turner Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, WGN-TV and Superstation WGN split into two different services. Then, WGN Superstation became WGN America, and finally, WGN America became NewsNation.
Your right, I remember going to my grandma's in the 80s and 90s and they aired the same shows it aired in Chicago. When we got primestar in 1995 wgn aired the same with news at noon and 9pm with the WB in primetime and syndicated shows like Hercules and Xena on Saturday afternoons. I wonder if wgn and wgn stopped airing the same stuff in the early 2000's or when they changed to WGN America in 2008. But I remember news at noon and 9pm till at least 2012 or 2013.

Nor is there any reason for CBS to create future partnerships with Turner, given that CBS now has a floatilla of cable networks since the merger with Viacom.

Nor is there any reason for CBS to create future partnerships with Turner, given that CBS now has a floatilla of cable networks since the merger with Viacom.
Let's say they wanted to share with CBS, they would need to completely blow up the current long term rights deals to make it happen.

But technically CBS use the others for March Madness so MLB deal could be expanded to include Sundays again but CBS this time.
You are forgetting one important detail: CBS is not a current MLB broadcast partner.

If MLB wants its games to air anyplace other than Turner Sports, Fox Sports/FS1, ESPN and Peacock, they'll have to renegotiate the current contract.

Same with on TNT or Fox on FX or so on if have to start Game a on another channel because because a Game has started late or in extra innings.

Way too many words -- some clear in meaning, others completely incomprehensible -- are being wasted here on something all networks that carry sports consider routine. Rest assured that there will always be a spill-over channel available for any scheduled event. No matter how many extra-inning/rain delay/power failure scenarios you can dream up, there's always a plan in place. Some people seem to be looking for a scenario that would force a network to improvise new contractual terms or even televise events it doesn't have the rights to. Sorry, that's just TV fan-fic, not real life.

Way too many words -- some clear in meaning, others completely incomprehensible -- are being wasted here on something all networks that carry sports consider routine. Rest assured that there will always be a spill-over channel available for any scheduled event. No matter how many extra-inning/rain delay/power failure scenarios you can dream up, there's always a plan in place. Some people seem to be looking for a scenario that would force a network to improvise new contractual terms or even televise events it doesn't have the rights to. Sorry, that's just TV fan-fic, not real life.
The only time I can remember a non contractual spill over was when CBS had the full contract to March Madness and the second Iraq war started. They ended up giving the full Thursday afternoon slate to ESPN while CBS News took over the window.

The only time I can remember a non contractual spill over was when CBS had the full contract to March Madness and the second Iraq war started. They ended up giving the full Thursday afternoon slate to ESPN while CBS News took over the window
But at least ESPN was also part of the NCAA's rights deal for basketball. Sending a rain-delayed baseball game to CBS when CBS has no rights to MLB at all, as was suggested a few posts back, is pure fantasy.

Yes I know how things work and TBS Isn't part of TNT NBA deal and FX part of Fox MLB deal but seen Games on their in Playoffs.

Interesting to me that tonight, TBS will air an MLB game that is supposed to be exclusive to Amazon Prime.

Perhaps Amazon Prime is only exclusive to the team's home market, and TBS carries it nationally. But interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom