• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TNT/TBS to rebrand as Turner Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interpreted this more as one, or both of the networks being placed under the Turner Sports umbrella from a leadership perspective, not that they would look to rebrand either network.

They already cancelled most original programming, so I think they intend to use the networks more for sports, and to promote content that is available via HBOMax/Discovery+, and for live sports.

I interpreted this more as one, or both of the networks being placed under the Turner Sports umbrella from a leadership perspective, not that they would look to rebrand either network.

They already cancelled most original programming, so I think they intend to use the networks more for sports, and to promote content that is available via HBOMax/Discovery+, and for live sports.
They are basically under Turner Sports now.

They are basically under Turner Sports now.

But the post is saying that it could rebrand TNT or TBS as the Turner Sports channel.

They should do something, because currently the channels are pointless rudderless ships. Same with TruTV and a few others,

It's not just TNT/TBS, but other cable networks as well. All they keep showing are movie marathons and same binge-watching shows that last half a day. So I think it's a good bet that either of these networks will relaunch as a sports channel, but they have to think twice about it(remember NBCSN? Dismal failure).

Or one of these channels should air mostly reality shows and unscripted programming aimed at millennials/Gen-Z.

remember NBCSN? Dismal failure.

Everything is a dismal failure next to ESPN. The key is to have enough high profile sports that keep people tuning in. Unfortunately you can't build a channel around British soccer and hockey. Turner has baseball and part of March Madness, NHL, and the NBA.

They don't have enough sports content for a 24/7 channel.

Neither does ESPN, but they're able to fill the holes with some solid sports talk and SportsCenter reruns. A lot of these channels fill the rest of the time with poker and other semi-sports. Remember cornhole? I've been seeing more pickleball lately.

It's not just TNT/TBS, but other cable networks as well. All they keep showing are movie marathons and same binge-watching shows that last half a day. So I think it's a good bet that either of these networks will relaunch as a sports channel, but they have to think twice about it(remember NBCSN? Dismal failure).

Or one of these channels should air mostly reality shows and unscripted programming aimed at millennials/Gen-Z.
A far cry from the days of Superstation WTBS and the early days of TNT when they aired classic movies from the '40s, '50s and '60s. Don't forget MonsterVision and the classic cartoons they aired. But of course, most cable networks can't be original nowadays because the audience wants either reality TV or sports...

A far cry from the days of Superstation WTBS and the early days of TNT when they aired classic movies from the '40s, '50s and '60s. Don't forget MonsterVision and the classic cartoons they aired. But of course, most cable networks can't be original nowadays because the audience wants either reality TV or sports...
Didn't Ted buy all the classic movies to create TCM.

I remember when TNT did an anthology of movies called "100% Weird!" This idea of Turner putting together a 24/7 sports channel is exactly that-100% Weird!

TBS was based off a local channel in Atlanta just like WGN in Chicago, now WGN is NewsNation. My guess would be that TBS would stay TBS with sitcoms during the day and overnight with sports possibly even baseball once again in the afternoons and evenings. With TNT airing Dramas over night and during the day and sports in the afternoon and evenings branded as Turner Sports during the time sports is on but TNT when reruns are airing.

It's already weird to see shows like Blue Bloods and Last Man Standing with the name NewsNation in the corner of the screen. Be really weird to see Supernatural with Turner Sports in the corner.

My guess is that non-sports programming on TBS and TNT will be combined on the former with all of Turner's sports migrating to a TNT network renamed Turner Sports.

Also CBS isn't part of MLB/NBA/NHL TV deals but should be.

TBS and TNT do carry some games of the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament, but CBS produces those games so there is already a business relationship between the two companies.

I can't see Turner sharing the MLB or NBA packages with CBS, but I can see Turner sharing a limited number of NHL games with CBS (the New Year's Day Winter Classic outdoor game, four or five weekend afternoon early round playoff games and the Stanley Cup Finals in odd numbered years; given that ABC has them in even numbered years), with Turner producing the games.

Yes, TNT would lose the Stanley Cup Finals, but it might allow for other sports programming in late May and early June to get squeezed in).

I remember when TNT did an anthology of movies called "100% Weird!" This idea of Turner putting together a 24/7 sports channel is exactly that-100% Weird!
I've got 'The Greatest Show on Earth' taped off 100% Weird. I think Fridays were 100% Weird and Saturdays were MonsterVision. Eventually, Joe Bob Briggs left TMC's Drive-In Theater to join TNT MonsterVision.

If that's the case wouldn't TBS renew AEW Dynamite to fill two hours a week unless that show don't grow the audience from their normal 1 million - 900K viewers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom