• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Things Which Annoy You

Something that irritated me and made business owners very made in Shelton, WA Tuesday...

On Tuesday 6/25 there was a squall line that caused severe heavy rain that made visibility down to almost zero. It flooded the former Mell Chevrolet in Shelton and came VERY close to hitting an antique store, which, if only an inch of water came in, would cause THOUSANDS in damage. Why did this almost happen? Because the city was working on the drainpipes!! :mad:
AND...at the same time, the drainpipes were covered with PLASTIC!! This made a lot of people very mad. Plus, a half an hour passed, and there was NO sign of any city workers. The owner told me that if she saw that again (flooding in the antique store), she would SUE the city of Shelton for not doing anything to help the water. They only have one chance...

Also, "LET'S GET READY TO BUNDLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" on the TV (Progressive). It just started airing again after a two-month hiatus, and if they play that again for the 4,523rd time, which is the most irritating commercial of ALL TIME, I will throw something at the TV. :mad:

-crainbebo

Here's another one of mine, having computer or phone problems that no one can seem to duplicate! For about a year and a half, I've had a problem with the TuneIn Radio app on my phone that causes certain AAC streams not to play in stereo when they are in stereo. The developers have tested with streams I've told them to, and my friend, who has the free version of the app, has also tested this. It could be a problem with the app, but that wouldn't make much sense because then more people would have the same problem, and I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. It could also be an issue with the hardware in my phone, but that doesn't make sense either because it's just happening with TuneIn and only on certain streams. Here's a list, in no particular order, of stations this happens on, Radio Disney, WNRG, KAFE, WHTP, WBEN-FM, KFAT, KLMY, KDUK, WDAY-FM, WARH, KKVU, KRSQ, KZBD, KZZU, KXIX, KTFM, KWXS, KFLY, KQMV, and KLCK. Note on the last two, there are 2 AAC options, a 64 K and a 32 K, the 32 K is the only problematic one. I've restored my phone several times but that doesn't fix the problem. WBEN-FM also plays fine on IHeart Radio, and when KFFM was still open on TuneIn after this problem cropped up, it was in mono on TuneIn and in stereo on Radio Pup. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice with no luck. It takes a lot to stump me on technology questions, but this one has stumped me. Oddly, KRAV-FM does not have this problem.

bobdavcav said:
Here's another one of mine, having computer or phone problems that no one can seem to duplicate! For about a year and a half, I've had a problem with the TuneIn Radio app on my phone that causes certain AAC streams not to play in stereo when they are in stereo. The developers have tested with streams I've told them to, and my friend, who has the free version of the app, has also tested this. It could be a problem with the app, but that wouldn't make much sense because then more people would have the same problem, and I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. It could also be an issue with the hardware in my phone, but that doesn't make sense either because it's just happening with TuneIn and only on certain streams. Here's a list, in no particular order, of stations this happens on, Radio Disney, WNRG, KAFE, WHTP, WBEN-FM, KFAT, KLMY, KDUK, WDAY-FM, WARH, KKVU, KRSQ, KZBD, KZZU, KXIX, KTFM, KWXS, KFLY, KQMV, and KLCK. Note on the last two, there are 2 AAC options, a 64 K and a 32 K, the 32 K is the only problematic one. I've restored my phone several times but that doesn't fix the problem. WBEN-FM also plays fine on IHeart Radio, and when KFFM was still open on TuneIn after this problem cropped up, it was in mono on TuneIn and in stereo on Radio Pup. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice with no luck. It takes a lot to stump me on technology questions, but this one has stumped me. Oddly, KRAV-FM does not have this problem.

Every computer is an exception. Every radio is more or less a radio.
I'm annoyed too, by apps that think you have nothing better to do than endless updating/etc to acess their whatever-it-is.

How about the fact that the cable company internet modem is restricted to just their internet.
It's worse than a contract when they offer you a modem for only $100 "to avoid the modem rental fee".
If you say yes...THEY'VE GOT YOU!!!
They can raise their internet rates as high as they want and you can't switch to another company
because their modem is exclusive to their internet!!! :mad:

Discovering a motorized barricade as I attempt to get back to Point A from Point B.

crainbebo said:
...the drainpipes were covered with PLASTIC!!

"drainpipes covered with Plastic"? If you meant plastic drainpipes, you may have been looking at PVC, or more likely, UPVC piping, the trend in underground conduits for storm drains, sewer lines and fresh water lines. Several forms of PVC have become the piping of choice due to durable resistance to tree roots and other subterranean intrusions.

The drain pipes (where water goes after rain, down the drain) were 100% covered in plastic lining since the stupid City of Shelton was WORKING on them, and DIDN'T know that there was going to be a squall line of severe heavy rain... :mad:

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
The drain pipes (where water goes after rain, down the drain) were 100% covered in plastic lining since the stupid City of Shelton was WORKING on them, and DIDN'T know that there was going to be a squall line of severe heavy rain... :mad:

-crainbebo

A flooding of any kind is disturbing. Some clown (hopefully) accidentally spilled a ton of cat litter (hopefully not used) by a drain near my home causing a major clogging.

crainbebo said:
-crainbebo

Thanks for clarifying-- and leaving those drains covered was stupid, Should have had a contingency plan for quick removal, especially during summer! Actually, they probably did, but failed to follow through!

I'm trying to understand how any fast food restaurant gains any business in this heat without any Air Conditioning! ???
It's annoying indeed! People are looking for a way to get out of the heat, not a way to stay in it!!!

If it's hot inside, be glad the food is fast! :D

My home town of Glendale has joined the growing list of big cities---Los Angeles, Pasadena, Long Beach, Monterey, Eugene, Seattle, San Francisco and many others---to ban plastic bags. The reasoning is that the bags wind up as litter. Umm...no they don't. People use them for trash, for food storage, for disposing of dirty diapers and for cleaning up pet waste. Regardless, city councils are enacting bans...and requiring stores to charge customers for the paper bags that were always free. The cost has always been absorbed by the stores. In Glendale, we now either take our own bags to the store or we're forced to pay an extra ten cents for every paper bag we want. The reusable cloth bags are made in China and contain high amounts of lead and bacteria---much better than plastic, eh? And what do the stores do with all the money they make from selling paper bags? They keep it, of course...but they have to keep track of it and report it as part of their income. And if you haven't figured it out, they pay tax on that income. Then the cities have more money to waste on employee pensions and pay raises. That is the real reason for the plastic bag bans---they have nothing to do with "protecting the environment." So we're welcome to buy groceries---we just can't get a bag to put them in. :(

Crazy, I say. When I worked in grocery 1977-1980, it was understood that the cost of bags was an expected cost of doing business, like keeping lights on in the store for customers to see by.

It was also understood that the returnable bottle system was the most responsible as it eliminated litter, and kept kids in money
for candy.

I'd suggest that we clamor for a store that will eliminate climate controls and lighting to bring us the best value.

"Dress for the season, bring a good flashilight, and hunt'cha down some REAL savings, all night long at your local Cave Mart."

Here's another one of mine, highlighted on another thread on the DX and Reception board, companies that seem to have no centralized streaming. It's 2013, why are local market managers still responsible for streaming in some decent sized companies? Or is it something else? Mapleton Medford and Cherry Creek Missoula, looking at you here. Why does Mapleton stream Spokane stations and some of the other in CA but not in Medford? Cherry Creek seems to be even more hit and miss, no streaming in Missoula, but KPQ-FM in Wenachee which has a huge signal as it is, and KONA-FM in the Tri Cities both stream.

Don'tcha love the modern age? People get a magnetically-encoded library card that enables them to check out books and CDs and DVDs without the assistance of a librarian and then, after a few days, return those books and CDs and DVDs without the aid of a librarian. A librarian could have inspected the items and said, "Hey, you scratched this disc!" Instead the library has a computerized dropbox which can not inspect the items. "Hey, I dropped the discs in there when I was done with 'em---you can't prove I made those scratches!" Good ol' modern technology!

LARadioRewind said:
...we're welcome to buy groceries---we just can't get a bag to put them in. :(

Next they'll pass a bring your own potty to the rest room ordinance. You can't rule that out in California. We'll call it the Rosie O'Donnell/Sheryl Crowe law.

Tom Wells said:
I'd suggest that we clamor for a store that will eliminate climate controls and lighting to bring us the best value.

"Dress for the season, bring a good flashilight, and hunt'cha down some REAL savings, all night long at your local Cave Mart."

Those ideas were tried in the '70s & '80s. They called themselves warehouse stores, and the concept pretty much flopped, save for today's surviving "club" stores, ie Sams and Cosco. The trade had largely underestimated consumer's appetite for turn-key service.

Another warehouse survivor today is the California-based SmartCo, who tried expanding into Colorado a couple years ago, opening stores in the Denver market. All of them closed in 6-months.

In the late 1980s we had a few Jewel T stores; they were part of the Jewel/Sav-On/Osco chain. They sold canned goods and boxed foods and paper products---no meat, no refrigerated foods, no frozen foods and no dairy products. The foods were left in the original cardboard shipping cartons but at least the lids were cut off the cartons. Lighting was minimal. Customers had to supply their own bags or boxes and then put the food in them because the stores had no employees other than cashiers. The stores didn't last long. Part of the reason could be that a lot of the food they sold was several months past the expiration date.

"Things which annoy you." I could easily add one "thing" every day for an entire year---maybe two years. Here is something that I find mostest annoyingest: Most people are so engaged with their car radios, MP3 players, iPods, cell phones and other devices that they are oblivious to everything around them. Many times when I'm driving, I hear a siren in the distance and I look in the rear-view mirror and see a police car or fire truck or ambulance approaching. I will move to the curb if possible. If not, I'll simply stop. Invariably some schmuck behind me will honk his horn. Maybe someone should invent a siren that is louder than all the constant noise that people surround themselves with!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom