• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Transmitter Died Again

The VSWR is good right now. Sounds like the connection to the antenna was not properly sealed. You can slowly turn the power back up for now.. See what you get. However next rain the problem may reoccur.

At full power that BW transmitter should show 2 watts reflected at most.

Intend to look into that, when Mr. Chris comes back next week. We're going to check everything out and see what needs to be replaced. Going to fix this issue and get it behind me. Not ready to shut down. Been in this business for a long time now and still enjoy it.​

Dan <><

P.S. The REV power has gone up to around 30 to 40 watts. The FWD power has went back up to 152 watts. As a safety measure, I just turned down the FWD power. We now know where the issue is and intend to fix it next week. If anyone reading has a new Antenna and Transmission line they want to sell or donate to me, let me know. The antenna, itself, must be tuned to 93.3 FM, for it to work right and be legal.​

Last edited:
Intend to look into that, when Mr. Chris comes back next week. We're going to check everything out and see what needs to be replaced. Going to fix this issue and get it behind me. Not ready to shut down. Been in this business for a long time now and still enjoy it.​

Dan <><

P.S. The REV power has gone up to around 30 to 40 watts. The FWD power has went back up to 152 watts. As a safety measure, I just turned down the FWD power. We now know where the issue is and intend to fix it next week. If anyone reading has a new Antenna and Transmission line they want to sell or donate to me, let me know. The antenna, itself, must be tuned to 93.3 FM, for it to work right and be legal.​

40 watts REV out of 150 is nearly 30 percent. you dont even want more then 10 percent. Ive known stations running 15 to 20KW who have less watts REV than you do right now

Dan <><

You're using a Nicom BKG-77 right? That antenna is wideband and should have very little VSWR. It should also last longer than you or me. New coax should last at least 20 years. Maybe all you need is someone to climb up 100 feet and dry out and clean the connection. Let's hope. The only thing that can destroy that antenna is lightning.

So are you going to continue broadcasting with the issue or shut down to PREVENT potentially further damage? The FCC issues Silent STA's for issues just as these.

All the issues have been found. Intend to fix them, within the next week. That's my promise! ;)

Dan <><

P.S. I did turn down the FWD power, for safety measures and by request of my radio engineer.​

Last edited:
As long as you keep trying to resurrect that junk, the woe-is-me 'my transmitter died-again' posts will continue.
And requests for donations,,,imagine that.

And requests for donations,,,imagine that.
Sometimes fate sends the message that if one can't afford to be even a reliable LPFM broadcaster, then maybe they should hang it up. Not to be cruel; but if the locals or streaming listeners aren't stepping up to support his radio and online ministries, then he needs to do some soul searching as to whether it's worth the effort.

Sometimes fate sends the message that if one can't afford to be even a reliable LPFM broadcaster, then maybe they should hang it up. Not to be cruel; but if the locals or streaming listeners aren't stepping up to support his radio and online ministries, then he needs to do some soul searching as to whether it's worth the effort.
I have been streaming most of the afternoon, I hear no LOCAL PSA''s or LOCAL underwriting announcements. Great Christian format, with imaging, not sure how the bills are getting paid. I want to see all LPFM's thrive, you gotta get out and bang on doors.

I have been streaming most of the afternoon, I hear no LOCAL PSA''s or LOCAL underwriting announcements. Great Christian format, with imaging, not sure how the bills are getting paid. I want to see all LPFM's thrive, you gotta get out and bang on doors.
I agree completely. LPFM, commercial, or non-commercial. One can't sit back and hope people will proactively hand you money unless you ask for it. Now, if you ask for it and they still won't donate? Then you need to take a look at whether what you're doing is relevant or needed.

I do have a few underwriters. You have to listen out for them, as they are aired at various times all day and night. These people are indeed helping me pay the bills. Thanks for the kind words and for checking me out. I appreciate it.​

Dan <><

P.S. Going to see about getting my first PSA on, sometime next month. Another radio station here is fixing to have toy drive and I intend to take part in it. Will announce this on air, very often, once the date is announced.

And yes...I do announce on air, that I always need donations and tell the people how they can make it happen. I also go out and consistently look for more donors and underwriters.​

Last edited:
Because I'm friends with Mr. Paul Alexander and take toys and items to his drive. Do I stay and help him run it? No I don't. I'm just trying to show some love the needy people of Selma and let them know that I care too. Thanks for the kind words. Intend to get everything fixed within the next few days. These breakdowns are fixing to end. I make that promise! ;)

Dan <><

P.S. Been involved with his toy drive for years now. Love to help him out. Returning the favor, after all the help he continues to give me with the day to day operation of this radio station.​

I do have a few underwriters. You have to listen out for them, as they are aired at various times all day and night. These people are indeed helping me pay the bills. Thanks for the kind words and for checking me out. I appreciate it.​

Dan <><

P.S. Going to see about getting my first PSA on, sometime next month. Another radio station here is fixing to have toy drive and I intend to take part in it. Will announce this on air, very often, once the date is announced.

And yes...I do announce on air, that I always need donations and tell the people how they can make it happen. I also go out and consistently look for more donors and underwriters.​
Local PSA go along ways sir,,,if you have a person to do the voicework, I can help with some ideas.

Still working on getting my first PSA on air. Hope to have it broadcasting, within the next week. The tech issues are now being worked on. Getting all the parts we need and the Nicom transmitter back from the shop. Hope to have everything resolved, within the next few days. Will keep you posted.

Dan <><

P.S. To those that have checked out the stream, thanks for doing it. I appreciate it.​

Last edited:
An update! All the tech issues have been fixed. The antenna, line and transmitter has been replaced. We're sounding better than ever. :) Excited is the Word. :D

Dan <><
What brand/model transmitter and antenna?

A new LPFM certified type replacement from Nicom and a NIC BKG-77 Antenna. Both are working like a well oiled machine. :) The new line is a 7/8 inch presentation. It's much thicker and of a better quality. With these upgrades, I hope to have no new issues for a long time to come. (y)

Dan <><

P.S. The tower has been painted too. It's now bright orange and should last for a long time to come. (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom