• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Transmitter Died Again

And I'm now working on getting it fixed. Bear with me. Hope to be back on from a loner one, within the next few days. I'm beyond sick and tired of dealing with the power amp failing in this Nicom unit. If the company doesn't fix it this time, I might take action against them, if I can. If anyone reading can help me get a new LPFM type transmitter, let me know and I'll thank you. Need it A.S.A.P.​

Dan <><

Dan, Sorry for the problems with the Nicom. Have used a Nicom antenna for several years as a backup with no issues, never used their transmitters. I've learned two things to not try to economize on is the transmitter and the automation software. I'd look at one of the new Nautel VX series if the budget allows. We have the older Nautel VS series that has run for years without any issue. Not sure of the stock status of the new VX series. You can get it with the Orban 5500 audio processor built in. Ray

The Broadcast Computer is fixing to die again. This time the hard drive is giving me error messages and issues. I'm going to get my engineer to check on that too and see if we need to replace it. Stay tuned.

Dan <><​

Last edited:
In 2020 I purchased a "gently used" Nicom NT-250 from Nicom.....
The final "went south" about 10 minutes after the initial tune-up....
SWR was ~1.05:1, so this wasn't the cause....
I sent the unit back to Nicom.....they repaired it without cost....and informed me the built-in RF protection circuitry
"wasn't connected properly"....(???!!!)
Ummmmm.....what ever happened to QC (quality control)???!:(
The Nautel VS/VX line of transmitters is nice.....but may not fit your station budget.
Ray makes a a good point about not cutting corners on the transmitter -- OR the antenna.....they're the station's "life-blood"!
Hope you can get your technical issues ironed out soon!! Good luck!!

Why don't these people check out their gear and make sure it works right, before they sell it to someone? I've had nothing but bad luck with this transmitter, ever since I got it and it's only about a year old. Disgusting indeed. :mad:

Dan <><

P.S. Hope I can too. These issues are not helping at all. I want to get them all behind me for good.

Maybe you should consider getting out of the radio biz, and concentrate on streaming? Seems like you're unable to support even the basics of keeping something as small as an LPFM operation going.

Maybe you should consider getting out of the radio biz, and concentrate on streaming? Seems like you're unable to support even the basics of keeping something as small as an LPFM operation going.

It seems Dan's heart is absolutely in the right place and his intentions are the best, but funding appears to be the biggest factor with both the transmitter and computer needs. Here's an article with an interview back when Dan first envisioned the station; perhaps his church or other nearby churches who value the station would be willing to kick in some $$ and help out financially:

Dan, We really like using HP Z400 workstations for all of our computers. You can get them off-lease for around $100. They are very well built (way above consumer grade). Just need to clean dust out every few months. Keep a spare power supply just in case but never had one to fail (we have around 10). Also keep a spare harddrives with an image for each ready to go in case of a HD failure. I probably worry to much about being off-air and having lots of redundancy.

It seems Dan's heart is absolutely in the right place and his intentions are the best, but funding appears to be the biggest factor with both the transmitter and computer needs.
Not intending to knock Dan or his mission, but this same problem plagues a lot of LPFM's, and why one needs to take a step back by looking at whether it's worth continuing. Heck, there are a fair amount of small market full-class broadcasters are fighting the same battles lately.

Many LPFM start-up's don't understand going in what it takes to build, and then operate, albeit a tiny radio station, and are woefully under-funded. And as we're seeing with Dan's saga; then you have operating expenses with unanticipated costs. All this pain for something that chances are doesn't cover enough population where even 50%, let alone 10% within listenable coverage could, or be willing to support an LPFM, the deck is stacked against you from the start. One could promote within the market at churches or other places all you want, but if the station is off the air, or doesn't cover the area well enough, a potential listener/donor discovers there's nothing to listen-to.

As long as Dan doesn't play copyright-protected music, streaming might be a much less expensive option, with coverage that is literally international in scope. Casting a world-wide net for listeners and donations gives his mission much more of a chance of being heard and financially supported, than some station which only covers a few city blocks. Assuming it's even operating.

Dan, We really like using HP Z400 workstations for all of our computers. You can get them off-lease for around $100. They are very well built (way above consumer grade). Just need to clean dust out every few months. Keep a spare power supply just in case but never had one to fail (we have around 10). Also keep a spare harddrives with an image for each ready to go in case of a HD failure. I probably worry to much about being off-air and having lots of redundancy.
Better to get something that has parts that can be easily replaced "off the shelf". I had one of the HP Z-series workstations as my main home PC for a time, and the power supply failed. No problem, off to the local computer store for a new PSU. PSU purchased, got home - wrong size, because HP uses a proprietary format rather than a standard ATX PSU. Had to order a specific HP unit and wait for shipping. The same goes for various other parts, so you either have to keep a stock of HP parts or wait for shipping.

Other manufacturers seem to use more standard stuff, but my current PC is a build I've done myself, not because I particularly wanted to build a PC but because I know now that it's completely built from parts that can be replaced locally.

wpjb.org and WPJB-LP 93.3 FM is back on. Excited is the word. Now working on putting all the tech issues behind me for good.

Dan <><

P.S. Till I get the broadcast Computer issues fixed, the title of the songs and singers won't be appearing on the streaming side. Sorry about that.​

As of now, the song titles and singers are appearing on the streaming side. The broadcast Computer is back online and I intend to keep it running, till Mr. Chris comes back and help me see if it needs a new hard drive. Thanks again Mr. David for the two you're sending me. I intend to use them, if we think they'll work.​

Dan <><

Worth noting that BW Broadcast is no longer in business, so getting parts/service for one of the listed models could be challenging.
The BW Broadcast site now shows that, effective this week, all product warranties are extended to 4 years.

Sounds like they are back in operation

Well, that's eye-opening. I was seriously considering Nicom's LPFM package. They have a package that consists of their new NTi300 TX, BKG88 antenna and a 100' of coax for 4590.00. I've had good success with their antennas for LPTV. But if their transmitters are unreliable and repair service problematic, forget it. What else should I consider?

Well...The Nicom is back online. Hope i won't have any new issues with it. If anything else happens, I'm going to protest them hard. This is beyond ridiculous. :mad: I've had nothing but issues with this unit, since getting it about a year or two ago. If anyone reading can still help me snag a spare transmitter, let me know. Ready to get it.​

Dan <><

Well...The Nicom is back online.​
Good to hear!
About to check out the stream. https://live365.com/embed/player.html?station=a90459&s=md&m=dark

But if their transmitters are unreliable and repair service problematic, forget it. What else should I consider?

I figured most LPFMs, at least in urban areas, had local engineers to fix them when they go off, but I guess I was wrong. Four out of the 6 or so LPFMs in this area are off or extremely weak, with no return in sight at least not from a listener's standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom