• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Dixie Chicks Return

"Gaslighter" is now down to Number 56 on Country Airplay. By next week it will be off the chart completely. Meanwhile the new Pam Tillis hasn't charted and I predict it won't ever chart for the reasons I've already cited. There's a brand new release by Mark Chesnutt and I think it has some clever lyrics about a guy who broke up with his girl and has found someone new who is just as bad as the first female. This song will do poorly for two reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the music. 1) It's on a minor label. 2) Mark Chesnutt is 56 years old. Radio stations are scared of aging performers. There are rare exceptions for stars who have been lucky enough to have continuous hits for years on end. Reba McEntire and George Strait have been examples but even they are washed up when it comes to hit singles.

Radio stations are scared of aging performers.

It also hurts that none of the artists you mention have had any hits in 15 years. That's a long time to be away from the public eye. The other factor is the number of other equally qualified songs by more established artists, who have track records and the power of major label promotion departments and aggressive publicists pushing their music.

Virus should have no impact on radio airplay or downloads. Gaslighter is now off both Billboard country charts.

Virus should have no impact on radio airplay or downloads. Gaslighter is now off both Billboard country charts.

There could have been a more organized promotional campaign for this song instead of a single TV appearance on Ellen. Artists today are a whole lot more active and aggressive to get airplay. I receive lots of emails from artists and labels to drive airplay for their music. None for this song. Consider last week's One World concert. Where were the Dixie Chicks? No show. It seems to me the Chicks weren't really very motivated about this song.

They are trying WAY too hard to become relevant again. Right now, this act's comeback has all the buzz of a Forester Sisters or Restless Heart reunion.

Actually Restless Heart is still together and touring. It's still the original band. Same with Exile. They're as relevant as Journey or Fleetwood Mac.

The Forrester Sisters, on the other hand, left the music business 25 years ago.

I think what Holly is referring to is the new artist who starts off with a big hit or two that clicks on radio quickly, then suddenly becomes yesterday's news and is never heard from again no matter what the label sends to radio. That was the case with her favorite. I'm also thinking of Steve Holy with "Good Morning Beautiful,"
He had a comeback in 2006 with "Brand New Girlfriend" being a #1 Country and Top 40 pop hit. He also cracked the Country Top 20 with "Love Don't Run" in 2011.

The Dixie Chicks have officially changed their name to The Chicks:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...cks-changing-band-name-the-chicks/3257500001/
To me, this news is no different compared to the current news surrounding Lady Antebellum and if the name has nothing to do with why its being changed, why change it at all, especially if the name has been the name that you have gone by for so many years already?

God bless you and Lady Antebellum always!!!

Holly

P.S. When I first moved here to east Tennessee, I tried going by my middle name, but I couldn't get adjusted to it after going by my first name the first fourteen years of my life.

While we're on the subject of Dixie, if we are going to tear down all statues pertaining to the Confederacy and we're also going to ban the Confederate flag, the next logical step is to ban the singing of "Dixie".

The Dixie Chicks say they gave up caring about airplay on country radio:

https://tasteofcountry.com/the-chicks-gave-up-caring-about-getting-played-on-country-radio/

What this article fails to mention is their lawsuit against Sony Nashville, and their announcement to the media, long before the Bush comment, that they were done with country radio, and that they were now pop artists. They were done with country radio in 2001, but they continued to get airplay regardless, even after they started their own label and were being handled by Sony New York (who had no idea who they were). When the Bush comment happened, they had the #1 song on country radio. But they completely mishandled the bad publicity from the Bush comment. They were in Europe at the time and basically ignored the explosion of bad press. By the time they got back to the US 3 months later, their career was in shambles.

^^^ I was done with them when I heard how sacrilegious they decided to be when singing a song like "Sin Wagon".

God bless you always!!!

Holly

While we're on the subject of Dixie, if we are going to tear down all statues pertaining to the Confederacy and we're also going to ban the Confederate flag, the next logical step is to ban the singing of "Dixie".

And then comes Winn-Dixie supermarkets...

When I was in elementary school, we never sang that. We had music time in every grade. But I was in the hall several times and heard one of the other classes singing it. I later found out what that song was. Why we didn't sing it in the third grade I don't know but my teachers the next three years were all black.

I think what Holly is referring to is the new artist who starts off with a big hit or two that clicks on radio quickly, then suddenly becomes yesterday's news and is never heard from again no matter what the label sends to radio. That was the case with her favorite. I'm also thinking of Steve Holy with "Good Morning Beautiful," Mark McGuinn with "Mrs. Steven Rudy," Boy Howdy and their two hits, The Wilkinsons with "26 Cents" (although they continued to have hits in Canada). How does an artist go from having a successful formula to near oblivion so fast?

Not a programmer here, but I remember even in the 1990's and 2000's there were a lot of good artists that were flash-in-the-pans. One or two hits and then they would fade. And one of the reasons is the competition. Even as an observer I could see the wealth of new releases the programmers had to contend with every week. You had the big names, followed by the middle guys who've become established, followed by the relative newcomers, and then you had the brand new hot artists with the hottest new song. It seems to be easy for the relative newcomers to become has-beens fairly quickly -- even if they had a good song that became a hit. They become replaced, usually by the hottest new artist with the hot, heavily promoted song.

They become replaced, usually by the hottest new artist with the hot, heavily promoted song.

I agree, and that's the case now too. Anyone who wants to make a record can make a record. They can all put them on the various sales and streaming platforms for people to find. But that's the catch: How do you find that needle in the musical haystack? That's what record promotion and radio airplay are all about. It's where the rubber meets the road. The only reason to sign a record deal is they have the bucks and the muscle to get your music in front of people.

With regards to the Chicks, they burned so many bridges on the way to their martyrdom that they can only expect to live off the royalties from their first three albums. Don't cry for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom