• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Streaming shows to OTA or cable

Like I said before, TV 'news' today is nothing more than incomplete headlines or it's a tease to view at a later time and all of them are flush with commercials so it's kind of like watching a Cronkite 15 minute evening news segment. If I watch the national news at all it is on Youtube where the endless medicine commercials are redacted.

Did I also say I'm so damned tired of the network's fluff piece at the end of each show?
Well Journalism on TV would be confined to Streaming news outlets like DW, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, PBS affiliates. There is your PBS affiliate or PBS app if you want "In-depth" investigative stories in documentary form it would be on PBS Frontline(Produced by WGBH-TV) and Newshour (Produced by WETA-TV).

On the radio and Podcast side it's your local NPR News/talk affiliate like KQED-FM/ WAMU-FM and KXJZ-FM which are some examples of NPR News/talk affiliates that air "In-depth reports" in audio form.

Journalism on commercial TV in your rant sure they have to run with the TV version of 1010 WINS, KNX 97.1FM/1070AM, KCBS 106.9FM/740 AM. Initially Headline News HLN was the TV version of 1010 WINS but that is not true anymore. CBS News app, NBC News app and ABC News app now take that form on TV.

Last edited:
landtuna said:

As I said, I don't go to FB to read the news.
-------------------------------------------------------

Tuna, neither do I. But if one of my friends posts a news story to their Facebook page, it shows up in my feed. I see it anyway.
I don't have time for my feed. I learned that years ago when my Internet was too slow at home to use Facebook there and I could only go to Facebook at the library once a week.

I don't know what causes some of the news stories to show up in my notifications, but it happens. Some posts by some people show up there and others don't. Notifications is where I see who responded to something I posted, or where I see someone posted in one of my Facebook groups, or when someone has a birthday. I don't know what causes the others.

One of my Facebook friends posts a lot of news but we can usually be sure it's current if she does. The ones who have certain political views I can't mention here blocked me.

Do you remember the source?

If it was any kind of social media, people re-posting stories that are old happens fairly frequently. Annette Funicello has died at least three times, according to my Facebook feed. They read the headline, don't check the date, post and then several other people do the same.

A friend of mine who's usually pretty diligent about checking the date re-posted Sean Connery's death several months after he'd died. My response: "Damn. That's the second time that's happened to Sean this year."

Forced marriages of underage girls were a major component of the stories I did for KTVK about the FLDS and Colorado City in the 1990s. And those of Mike Watkiss, who took that coverage to a level I couldn't have envisioned. Sorry you missed those stories (especially Watkiss').

Here's a story that pulls it all into focus, from the Deseret News in Salt Lake City, following a raid that liberated several young girls:

That Facebook "Memories" function will get folks every time. When Bob Denver's died again (10 or more years after he actually died in 2005), the voice tracker from Westwood One we were hearing mentioned it as it had just happened (the old story was making the rounds again).

That Facebook "Memories" function will get folks every time. When Bob Denver's died again (10 or more years after he actually died in 2005), the voice tracker from Westwood One we were hearing mentioned it as it had just happened (the old story was making the rounds again).
Yeah. It's brutal.

And seriously, if you're not clicking open to read the story---and all you see is the headline, (lemme just grab one from my Facebook feed posted by a friend right now):

"MLB Error Means Dodgers Haven't Clinched Berth"

By the time you get to the end of a day---or maybe even to lunch, if you remember the headline, and have looked at anything else today, you won't remember that you saw the headline in your Facebook feed.

There's also PBS NewsHour. No commercials. Lots of stories you never see anywhere else told with lots of detail.

But like Goldilocks, I'm sure there's something about it you don't like.
The program is just fine but:

If you didn't catch it.....I was talking about the Big 3 commercial networks. Could also include Faux although it's not really a 'network' and yes, when the signal is just right I can get PBS (even though I am 8 miles from their stick as the crow flies). In the analog days I lived 3-+ miles from their stick and could receive PBS (ch 8 in Phoenix) just fine. Live in Tempe now and ch 8 is only partially useful. I gave up on it because of that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom