• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Proof that hearing Hotel California repeatedly will drive you crazy

It's only been 35 pages of the same few guys complaining about the same one song. Over and over and over and over. If repetition is such a problem, you'd think they'd find something new to complain about.

On many television shows, especially Adam-12 reruns and Disney Channel series, when a close-up shows someone driving an automobile, there is no windshield. Driving a car with no windshield is illegal. And the driver, thanks to rear-screen projection (which is painfully obvious), never has to stop at a stop sign or a red light and he never gets caught in a traffic jam unless doing so is necessary to the plot. And no matter where he's going, there is always a parking place right in front! These tv programs are far too unrealistic!

Aw, gee, I found "something new to complain about" and now you say I should have posted it to a different thread. You're just never happy! :)

Is it my imagination or has KRTH been playing more Beatles songs lately? Lady Madonna, Can't Buy Me Love, A Hard Day's Night, Eight Days A Week, Ticket To Ride and others have been getting played. Is this because 2014 is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first US tv appearance, first US tour and first Hollywood Bowl concert? And if KRTH wants a younger audience, why has KRTH not followed KOLA in dropping all the '60s music? Or can't they give up Brown Eyed Girl?

Is it my imagination or has KRTH been playing more Beatles songs lately? Lady Madonna, Can't Buy Me Love, A Hard Day's Night, Eight Days A Week, Ticket To Ride and others have been getting played. Is this because 2014 is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first US tv appearance, first US tour and first Hollywood Bowl concert?

Do you live in LA? Maybe this is news to you. Paul McCartney used to be a member of The Beatles. Maybe you didn't know that. And he just did a show in LA. At Dodger Stadium. He even performed some of the songs you named, so I imagine they are playing those songs to tie in with his LA shows. Paul usually doesn't sing John songs, although I see he's doing a few on this tour.

One of the cool shows on this tour was a farewell to Candlestick Park. Old timers will recall that Candlestick was the final show The Beatles did on tour in 1966. Promoted by KYA DJ Tom Donohue. Attended by writer Ken Kesey & The Merry Pranksters. Great tour this year by Sir Paulie.

Last edited:
Paul McCartney was in another group before Wings? Wow!

I'm in Glendale, which is a few miles north of Los Angeles. I was born in Glendale. I could understand playing Beatles songs in advance of a KRTH-sponsored McCartney concert...but why play more Beatles songs a month after a concert that KRTH had nothing to do with?---especially if KRTH is phasing out the '60s hits. Last month there were three "Beatles 50th Anniversary" concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. They were emceed by Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics and featured Billy Ray Cyrus, Vanessa Amorosi, Allen Stone, Liv Warfield, Mary Lambert, Michelle Branch and Martina McBride performing all the songs that the Beatles sang in their 1964 Bowl concert. Dave Stewart's three children also performed. His teenaged daughter Kaya sang Eleanor Rigby and his sons, Django and Sam, sang back-up. Many critics expressed dismay that the 50th Anniversary tribute did not include bigger singing stars. Billy Ray Cyrus singing Hey Jude? Yikes! During several performances, a large portion of the crowd started booing. Many attendees considered the concert to be an insult to the Beatles and a "wasted opportunity." On the oither hand, McCartney's Dodger Stadium concert was sold out and got rave reviews. This proves something: Ya can't beat the originals!

why play more Beatles songs a month after a concert that KRTH had nothing to do with?---especially if KRTH is phasing out the '60s hits.

Just an example of how these stations make exceptions when they make sense. This makes sense. Just like playing Hotel California in the town where the band lives. Have you seen the roof of The Forum? It's like WOGL playing Philadelphia Freedom.

It's only been 35 pages of the same few guys complaining about the same one song. Over and over and over and over. If repetition is such a problem, you'd think they'd find something new to complain about.

Who's complaining? I'm only pointing out that it hasn't aired since 8/29 acc. to the KRTH log (which is remarkable)...just an observation man.

The only complaint was when it played FIVE times a day. That warrants a few comments.

Last edited:
Actually Glendale is very much in the Los Angeles market - Salem Communications even has its Los Angeles stations operating from studios there; Clear Channel and ABC/Disney (as well as Warner Bros and the old NBC studios) are in Burbank right next door.

None of which has anything to do with CBS and KRTH. I don't get the obsession with criticizing a third party who isn't even trying to please your demographic. The station is obviously popular with its base, not in any distress and masking a profit for its owner without threatening the foundations of the Republic. I'm reminded of what Earle C. Anthony retorted to criticism fro the Chandlet family (which then owned the Los Angeles times) over his actions during the press-radio wars of the mid-thirties - "Mr Chandler is o course free to run his paper as he wishes and I shall exercise have the same freedom with KFI."

Anthony of course went on to help lead the broadcasters to ultimate victory in the war that was then going on. At stake was the continued success of KFI's late evening Richfield Reporter with Sam Hayes - at the time #1 (perhaps only) newscast on the west coast which later became an NBC west coast fixture with John Wahl. When the dust settled CBS would purchased KNX and drop its link to the Don Lee network (KHJ/KFRC/KGB/KDB and a number of non-owned affiliates) , which in turn would become the west coast branch of the new Mutual Broadcasting Systeml

Oh, and Anthony? Well he had his own ideas of playlists - what he liked, thank you. It was his station. He was a talented pianist who liked classical music as well as other genres, and broadcast classical tunes both on KABC- which at hat time was up the dial until he acquired KEHE from Hearst - and into school classrooms via the Standard )oil company) School broadcasts. He also had a student-slanted newscast at 2:45. Meanwhile his KFI engineers in every control room were required to have a copy of Blue Coral, a recording whose lyrics Anthony had composed with Arthur Kales, on hand to play by request of the boss whenever he felt like it.

That was "owner based" radio programming eighty years ago - but it isn't today. There are other platforms - if you want to listen to your preference, do it. but leave the poor folk at KRTH alone. I do.

Last edited:
One of the cool shows on this tour was a farewell to Candlestick Park. Old timers will recall that Candlestick was the final show The Beatles did on tour in 1966. Promoted by KYA DJ Tom Donohue.

I lived in SF at the time and was somewhat surprised that the concert didn't draw well at all. It was overshadowed big time by a companion concert of the Rolling Stones. Those of us living in SF at the time thought it was the beginning of the end for the Beatles.

Along with the ongoing KRTH-WOGL debate, do we really want a start a Beatles vs. Stones debate? Probably not. Such a debate has been going on for 51 years. Greg Kot, Chicago Tribune music critic, compared the two groups in 2013, the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' first single. Does anyone agree with his comment about the Beatles "running on fumes" in 1969?

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20130607-were-the-stones-underrated

I lived in SF at the time and was somewhat surprised that the concert didn't draw well at all. It was overshadowed big time by a companion concert of the Rolling Stones. Those of us living in SF at the time thought it was the beginning of the end for the Beatles.

It also marked the end of the Big Daddy, Tom Donohue at KYA. He was sick of playing teeny bop music at a Top 40 station, so he went to the owner of a little known FM, KMPX, and made a deal to launch a progressive rock format. It was one of the first in the country.

Does anyone agree with his comment about the Beatles "running on fumes" in 1969?

I think John Lennon would. He really felt at the time that they'd done all they could with the band, and he was ready to try something new.

He had bought into Paul's Sgt Pepper idea, but it really didn't work. People were still stuck on Beatlemania, and he really was tired of the whole thing.

Of course by the time of his death, he'd really come around to loving The Beatles again, and probably would have spearheaded a reunion had he lived.

Last edited:
With all due respect, they have Sirius, Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and every other digital source known to man. And the KRTH demos have the money to pay for their radio. And they choose KRTH because it's the only place they can get their favorites PLUS the presentation they love. You don't like it, but you don't live in LA any more. So you don't factor into their audience. Don't like it? Don't listen. They won't notice.

As I've said before, over on the Sirius board, there are people just like you who complain about the "small Sirius playlist." People like you just complain. There will NEVER be enough songs in a playlist to satisfy you. So we don't try.

Actually the Lee Abrams era XM oldies stations were pretty good. They still didn't have everything I wanted covered*, but given the constraints of a large audience I could understand some of the omissions. The hatchet job that Sirius has done to those channels when they took over from XM borders on criminal. As for the 80's, I think even most subscribers would agree with me that they would like a better channel and could care less that "all of the original VJs are here". For one thing, all of the VJs are not there; unfortunately the most talented and interesting one of the bunch, JJ Jackson, will never be able to join them, and second, even in the 80's, nobody watched MTV for the VJs (well, except Martha Quinn...)

* For example, I don't care if "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band is a dud, it was still a hit, a big part of the 70's, and damn it, I want to hear it on the 70's channel - mixed in with all of the other hits, runner up hits, and other duds as well. It is the musical mosaic I am after, not the songs that "test well in 2014, regardless of how high they charted then".

Do you live in LA? Maybe this is news to you. Paul McCartney used to be a member of The Beatles. Maybe you didn't know that. And he just did a show in LA. At Dodger Stadium. He even performed some of the songs you named, so I imagine they are playing those songs to tie in with his LA shows. Paul usually doesn't sing John songs, although I see he's doing a few on this tour.

Mrs. Flipper and I were at the Dodger Stadium show and I can tell you Paul rocked solid for three solid hours. I think a highlight for most folks was "Live and Let Die" which of course rocks hard and was accompanied by Hollywood Bowl Style synchronized fireworks and stage explosions. My highlight was "Helter Skelter" performed in the last encore, as it is one of my favorite Beatles songs and one of the best hard core/heavy metal songs ever. He did perform George Harrison's "Something" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" as a (very well chosen) tribute to John Lennon. he did 37 songs (counting the "Golden Slumbers" Medley as just one song), but in order to get that many songs in, he played nearly every one true to their original versions; there were not a lot of extended solos and jams.

A most interesting part of the concert was when he played about a minute of the guitar part of Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" and told the story that when Sgt. Pepper was released, Jimi learned some of the songs over the weekend and played them in his concert just a few days after the album was released. Paul was amazed and wanted to acknowledge that all these years later. I told Mrs. Flipper on the way home that it was a testament to Paul's entire body of work that he could do a whole 'nother concert filled with just hits he didn't play that night, and it would still be awesome.

Just thought I'd share. Now back to my full-time gig of counting how many times a day I can hear about smelling warm colitas.

Last edited:
It also marked the end of the Big Daddy, Tom Donohue at KYA. He was sick of playing teeny bop music at a Top 40 station, so he went to the owner of a little known FM, KMPX, and made a deal to launch a progressive rock format. It was one of the first in the country.

I remember Tom Donohue quite well even though my favorite DJ on KYA at that time was Buck Herring. KYA's signal was difficult to hear nighttime in Marin County so the alternative was KEWB out of Oakland but they flipped over the summer of '66 to talk so next up was 103.7 KGO-FM which was an automated music station. KEWB had the best assortment of DJ's and featured an evening "top 10" show by Kasey Kasem.

I actually hear "Afternoon Delight" on my local classic hits station, 100.9 Cherry FM in Yakima sometimes. Unbelievable! Someone that mixes Eagles, Billy Joel and Elton John with Starland Vocal Band!

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom