• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Processing in Louisiana

What do y’all think about the processing on the stations in Louisiana? What are y’alls most and least favorites? and better yet does anybody know what anyone uses??? I personally like the processing on KKST (Kiss 98.7) and KRRQ (Q95.5). And I personally H A T E the sound of WNXX 104.5.

My Personal Processing favorites:
Best:
KKST - Best sounding Urban in Louisiana
KQID - Sounds pretty nice
KQXL - Sounds good for an Urban AC
WYLD - Also sounds good
KRRQ - plenty of bass and barely any distortion. Good for an Urban station

Mid:
KNEK - sounds alright but distorted sometimes
KHXT - doesnt sound terrible but needs to change
WQUE - Sounds alright for an Urban
WEMX - Nice and bassy but very distorted
KSMB - Sounds like KNEK but probably worse

WORST:
WTQT-LP - Lots of pumping, barely any treble, muddy, gate set to high and too fast.
WNXX - No highs and most likely overmodulated.

KIEE is the worst sounding station I’ve heard in Louisiana
nah i got to give it to WNXX and WTQT-LP. WNXX sounds like an AM on the FM dial. And they’re probably overmodulated. And the LP sounds pitiful. Too much strange pumping and gate is too fast and too high.

Best both in new orleans
Alt 92.3
94.3 WTIX

Worst WNXX 104.5
GUMBO 94.9. Sounds Awful! Has tape hiss with no tapes playing!
96.7 Thibodeaux

I like this thread. Curious about the comments...

Are you commenting on analog FM sound or digital FM sound?
What types of radios have you been listening on, and how many different radios? (HTX I see you own multiple radios).
What is your reference for what sounds good?
Sorry about getting personal, but how is your hearing?

djnoah225, are you saying probably over modulated because it is loud, or because it is distorted (or both)?

Last edited:
What types of radios have you been listening on, and how many different radios? (HTX I see you own multiple radios).
I primarily use 2 portable radios for DXing. I’m usually not listening to really know if a station sounds worse than another. I’ll mostly use my Sangean HDR-14 which doesn’t sound the best and the SPARC SHD-TX2 (discontinued and hard to find) which sounds a lot better. But for actual listening I’ll just use my car radio and the Sangean HDR-18 which sounds great.

Honestly most stations sound just fine to me but the ones who don’t are really noticeable. But I like to think my hearing is pretty good as I’m fairly young. But I’ll listen to higher quality music through CDs or vinyl records

I like this thread. Curious about the comments...

Are you commenting on analog FM sound or digital FM sound?

djnoah225, are you saying probably over modulated because it is loud, or because it is distorted (or both)?
I am talking about the analog FM signal. The digital signals have little to no noticeable processing. For 104.5, they had a clipping/over modulation problem but idk if they got it fixed or not. I listen to FM on my big ol DJ speaker and in my car. I catch more stations than in the car. My hearing is good. And my reference for what sounds good = Loud, clear, bass sounds good, and little to no distortion (some is ok)

nah i got to give it to WNXX and WTQT-LP. WNXX sounds like an AM on the FM dial. And they’re probably overmodulated. And the LP sounds pitiful. Too much strange pumping and gate is too fast and too high.
update on the LP: can’t catch it in Zachary anymore. idk if they went off the air or not

This is the main processing rack for Cenla Broadcasting (KRRV,KQID,KZMZ,KKST and associated HD2s). Very impressive for an unrated market. 3 of the 4 full power signals are HD, 2 of which are full -10dBc HD injection level.
IMG_1427.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1426__360x480.jpg
    IMG_1426__360x480.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
Back