• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Post your latest DX

The experiment was to record 1210 kHz between 7:15 and 8:07 pm - Denver local sunset (me) is 7:30; Laramie is 7:45. I was already able to null out interference from KLDC at 7:15. There was a faint KHAT just before 7:30. At 7:31, I could clearly hear KGYN switch to DA-N because it suddenly came in and I could clearly make out the basketball PBP that it was airing (University of Connecticut vs. USC women's). Even so, the interference from KHAT seemed to pick up as well and, from time to time, dominated. KHAT's probable TOH ID shortly after 8 pm could be discerned but I couldn't really copy it. Didn't catch a KGYN TOH ID - it may have gotten pushed back since there wasn't a break in the game until about 8:06.

KGYN is a semi regular up here

Where? Boombox?
I'm in the Seattle-Tacoma metro. Sorry about that.

And KMZT is a new station on 1260 lately. Probably in earlier times CFRN Edmonton clobbered the channel too much for me to hear it previously. But when Bell Media pulled the plug on CFRN, it opened up the channel a bit.

KSFB gets in the way, so I can't get KMZT here (east SFBA).

However, I did receive it on one of the nearby KiwiSDRs, probably KPH-LF in the north bay near Pt. Reyes. KSFB drops to 1,000 watts at night, so it pretty much disappears, making 1260 relatively open to DXing up there on that SDR; down here at my QTH, it makes no difference.

c

Please put your QTH on each post when reporting DX catches.

Fer the yung'ins, QTH means "your location".
Or you could always say "my 20 is....." (As used by police, fire, first responders, and guys like me who used to work in radio and/or TV newsrooms. I once worked in a place that had a wall full of 'em) :)

40 miles NW of downtown Chicago. New catch du jour.....

WHKZ 5kw from Warren, OH. 1440khz. 5:20 AM CDT this morning (4/2) presumably on day pattern. "Relevant radio". Fair signal on top of the slop, then completely vanished,

I never really liked KBZZ's Playlist at all

I'm glad while I was in Dayton, NV 1270 was off, I can hear KVMI

Only Music Station I listen to the most, Even know it fades away most of the time

Stevensville MT Kiwi:

600 KSJB Jamestown ND quite strong at times, classic country, IDs.
620 KTAR Phoenix local ads, AZ Coyotes mentions.
680 CJOB Winnipeg way outdoing KNBR here. KNBR is way down in the mud. It's the opposite over here in WA!

It's so interesting how weak Seattle does in Montana. 710 KIRO and 1000 KOMO are poor to fair at best, and 1000 gets slammed by CBR/1010 splatter. But KKMO-1360 is dominant tonight.

edit: Just switched over to the venerable NM7A receiver on Orcas Island. It's a 200-meter beverage pointed at 70 degrees.
Radio Enciclopedia on 530 with some soft piano music just faded to a TIS that got up to very listenable levels. Turns out it's the weather forecast TIS from the Hanford base site! That is over 200 miles away at 10 watts! Recorded.
1610 is a solid CHHA Toronto at S8, so no chance at the WSDOT and NOAA TIS stations that are out this way.
KCJJ-IA just took over the WY station on 1630. Very strong KQWB-1660 from ND, bits of CA underneath, also a 3rd station buried. Probably Iowa on 1700 with sports talk.
also just recorded a fadeup from WPVW567 Ellensburg, another WSDOT TIS. 164 mi, 10 w

Last edited:
Well, I guess the solar cycle is finally kicking in on MW. I heard WWL New Orleans 870 for the first time in maybe a decade. Playing Dave Ramsey. Now, I don't tune 870 every single time I switch on the radio, but I never did so back in the 2010's when I logged WWL a bunch of times. WWL (along with Rebelde on 1180) has been sort of a bellweather station for me -- if I hear it, really long-haul DX conditions are in.

It was behind KFLD, Pasco WA (which was in much stronger than usual), on my Radio Shack 200629, with my Crate loop.

No other peculiarities.

From here in the Seattle metro.

ABC-Radio Australia on 13690 kHz is booming in right now on my C Crane Skywave.

@gar hi that is.. Are Enn Zed Eye.. RA hasnt been on SW in several years

Also, it should be easy pickin's where you are...... they beam to the pacific... and saying that peel the paint and pound in like a ton of led s&^t bricks here in Alaska is an understatement.

WHKZ 5kw from Warren, OH. 1440khz. 5:20 AM CDT this morning (4/2) presumably on day pattern. "Relevant radio". Fair signal on top of the slop, then completely vanished
Also heard WHKZ @ 7:30-ish PM CDT in my car, all alone for a few minutes, then faded. 1440 is a strange frequency for me here in Kenosha, WI- usually very quiet even when everything else is hopping.

I miss Radio Australia. I miss those weekend summer evenings (Pacific time) when they would boom in like gangbusters at 15240 and 13630 with the 'Grandstand' cricket play-by-play. Often they were in for several hours before and after sunset along with RNZI.
And time marches on.

Also heard WHKZ @ 7:30-ish PM CDT in my car, all alone for a few minutes, then faded. 1440 is a strange frequency for me here in Kenosha, WI- usually very quiet even when everything else is hopping.
Same here. WROK from Rockford is just 36 miles to my west running 5kw daytime, Nulled in my direction, but still a decent signal. At night it drops to 500w ND, but vanishes, despite not much else on the channel to block it.

It seems like most of the stations on 1410, then 1440, were originally 500 watts Night Nondirectional. Many upgraded, but not all. WROK is now 270 watts Night with a sectionalized antenna. At some time, they must have had to relicense with the actual input power. It easily exceeds the former efficiency licensed with 500 watts. It would be interesting to look at the vertical pattern of the sectionalized tower. That's how they protect the other 1440 stations within a few hundred miles. The 500 watt equivalent would protect the far away stations due to the relatively low power.

Last edited:
@gar hi that is.. Are Enn Zed Eye.. RA hasnt been on SW in several years

Also, it should be easy pickin's where you are...... they beam to the pacific... and saying that peel the paint and pound in like a ton of led s&^t bricks here in Alaska is an understatement.
RNZI sometimes relays ABC Australia news reports. I've heard that before. Maybe that's where GarHi got the idea it was RA.

Back
Top Bottom