• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Post your latest DX

Kenosha, WI- At 3:45 PM, broad daylight, in my car (2015 Ford Fusion with a very good radio), I was listening to WOKY 920. As I pulled up curbside waiting for my daughter to get out of school I found myself in an almost complete null of WOKY. Heard something very weak underneath it and thought, "I'll bet this is WBAA." Well, it WAS WBAA, West Lafayette, IN, 5,000 watts ND @ about 160 miles, with NPR programming and 3 positive IDs.

BTW, there was no evidence of any special conditions on the rest of the band.
I'm about 40 miles southeast of you in Crystal Lake, IL. WOKY once had a pretty good night signal here. But for the past 2-3 years at least it's been mostly missing. The result here is that WBAA is relatively common here at night. CFRY (Winnipeg area) even more so.

(OT Alert: I'm overdue for a run up to Keno for a Tenuta's Italian Deli fix!)

Cyberdad visits another graveyard. Comes out with another catch. WLEC Sandusky Ohio on 1450. On top for about 15 minutes with a surprisingly good signal. 6:15ish Monday 3/26 cdt. Radio was the C Crane skywave barefoot. Sandusky is a resort town on Lake Erie about midway between Toledo and Cleveland. (I've spent a few nights there. ) About 300 miles east-southeast of me).

Also this morning (3/29) at around 5:10 am, I was hearing sports talk on 1390. Fighting it out with Chicago's WGRB. My best GUESS is KXSS in the St. Cloud, MN area, but I didn't get a positive ID. Any other ideas? Jackson TN maybe?

@cyberdad, I have heard WTJF Jackson, TN with ESPN Sports recently after nulling WGRB.

@cyberdad, I have heard WTJF Jackson, TN with ESPN Sports recently after nulling WGRB.
After my post, the more I thought about it, the more I started to realize that WTJF was more likely than KXSS. Thanks for your insight in reinforcing my "on second thought" conclusion. :)

A few hours ago, tuning the X-band with my GE Superadio III and crate loop, I tentatively logged KCNZ Cedar Falls, IA, 1650 kHz, with what sounded like sports talk, and a partial 'sports network' ID. KBJD was in the mud, and possible TIS and or a NOAA TIS in there somewhere. Conditions were fair to good. 1640, KDZR's regional Mexican and KDIA Vallejo's religion dominating. KBRE Merced alone on 1660 with rock, no audible KQWB in back this evening.

I got daytimer WSKP "Kool Radio 104.3 & 1180" Hope Valley, RI on 1180 AM in Clifton, NJ just after 2am EDT. I was able to null out WHAM in order to receive it. The signal was fading in and out, but I caught the sweeper. The distance is about 132 miles (213 km) away.

I wonder if KBZZ 1270 Reno, NV is potentially procedurally deficient in proper night time facilities operation.

Ill leave you to wonder why I wonder that from my western Alaska QTH.

Also, KHAT 1210 Laramie, WY is not shutting off at sunset

I wonder if KBZZ 1270 Reno, NV is potentially procedurally deficient in proper night time facilities operation.

Ill leave you to wonder why I wonder that from my western Alaska QTH.

I heard KBZZ today as well, quite clearly – in the daytime....

c

It's a little hard to tell from the tangle of STAs combined with a CP for a license modification, but it appears that the CP to go to daytime-only operation, and detuning the additional tower used for the present nighttime operation, is not yet complete due to issues with the single tower used for daytime operation.

As I mentioned in this week's FOTW, KHAT is coming in at night in Denver - generally not as strong as KGYN, and fading in and out, but strong enough to catch an ID and occasionally overriding KGYN. KGYN is usually dominant in any event. Whether KHAT is operating with daytime facilities at night is a question that I can't answer. Signal strength varies from day to day.

This month, there's a 15-minute window between licensed Denver local sunset and Laramie local sunset, so I may try a little experiment this evening. While I have a local station on 1220 that runs HD (KLDC), it drops down to 12 watts at sunset and is not much of a factor at my location at night.

It's a little hard to tell from the tangle of STAs combined with a CP for a license modification, but it appears that the CP to go to daytime-only operation, and detuning the additional tower used for the present nighttime operation, is not yet complete due to issues with the single tower used for daytime operation.

As I mentioned in this week's FOTW, KHAT is coming in at night in Denver - generally not as strong as KGYN, and fading in and out, but strong enough to catch an ID and occasionally overriding KGYN. KGYN is usually dominant in any event. Whether KHAT is operating with daytime facilities at night is a question that I can't answer. Signal strength varies from day to day.

This month, there's a 15-minute window between licensed Denver local sunset and Laramie local sunset, so I may try a little experiment this evening. While I have a local station on 1220 that runs HD (KLDC), it drops down to 12 watts at sunset and is not much of a factor at my location at night.

I used to live so close to KHAt, it caused me issues.. its 1/2 mile form KOWB... and neither have filters for each other, and some part of the KOWB transmitter plant was re-radiating KHAT.... there were a few spurs on the dial even when you drove further away... and KHAT sounded like muddy garbage back when i was in town working for a competitor

I heard KBZZ today as well, quite clearly – in the daytime....

c
I certainly never could have managed that in Oakland, but I would have been too close to 1260 KSFB - plus I think receivers would be somewhat desensitized at my location, even up in the hills, due to being close to so many AM signals.

The experiment was to record 1210 kHz between 7:15 and 8:07 pm - Denver local sunset (me) is 7:30; Laramie is 7:45. I was already able to null out interference from KLDC at 7:15. There was a faint KHAT just before 7:30. At 7:31, I could clearly hear KGYN switch to DA-N because it suddenly came in and I could clearly make out the basketball PBP that it was airing (University of Connecticut vs. USC women's). Even so, the interference from KHAT seemed to pick up as well and, from time to time, dominated. KHAT's probable TOH ID shortly after 8 pm could be discerned but I couldn't really copy it. Didn't catch a KGYN TOH ID - it may have gotten pushed back since there wasn't a break in the game until about 8:06.

Back
Top Bottom