• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio Ratings: October 2014

Since it's a Latin word, Latin rules generally apply.

In Spanish, its dato and datos.

But in modern usage, it is "la data" and "los datos". I pulled examples of this usage from both Spanish and Mexican official (government) reports and private reports.

And while Latin rules apply in Romance languages in most occasions, that is not an absolute. And yes, I took 6 years of Latin and 2 of Greek.

In any case, there is plenty of data to support the RAB gross revenue figures.

Sorry. I think you meant to say, "there are plenty of data."

No. I meant "is" because that is contemporary usage.

What sounds best: "Thare are data flowing across the network" or "There is data flowing across the network"?

The word "data" is being use in the computer and electronic data processing era as both a singular and plural.

From a Wall Street Journal blog post,

"Most style guides and dictionaries have come to accept the use of the noun data with either singular or plural verbs, and we hereby join the majority. As usage has evolved from the word's origin as the Latin plural of datum, singular verbs now are often used to refer to collections of information: Little data is available to support the conclusions."

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

The Oxford Dictionary also concurs that the traditional use has given way to the modern use as defined by the WSJ.

This is just one of a "scad" of comments on the evolution of the term and the new correctness of the usage I mad. I favour the new usage.

Nice obfuscation of the original subject, though.

Last edited:
The usual plural of forum is forums; though there are some who insist it's fora; which to me sounds like the opposite of flauna. (Some dictionaries do list fora as an alternative, but I think it sounds ridiculous. Not as though that's anything new around here...)

Where is the financial statement to stockholders in an RAB press release? Ever heard of PR flacks going to jail for lying?

And what they claim in the PR release is backed up by financial statements, which are regulated by the SEC.

I know you think radio will be done as a business within the next 6 months, but it's still a quite viable business for people who do it right.

WOGL was 5th in revenue last year and is currently running an average of 8th in 25-54. It's obviously carrying its own weight and then some.

Hi David. I thought for a station to make money, they had to be at least in the top 5 in the 25-54. If they are averaging 8th for the year doesn't that tell you that maybe they should be following WCBS 101 and Krth 101 and playing a lot less 60s and more 80s and 90s? I believe they have the presentation to this, they just need more current music.

WOGL was 5th in revenue last year and is currently running an average of 8th in 25-54. It's obviously carrying its own weight and then some.

Hey David. I thought if a station was consistently out of the top 5 in the 25-54 , that means they are losing a lot of money and ad revenue. Do you think they will do what WCBS 101 and Krth did and abandon the 60s for 80s and a little 90s?

Hey David. I thought if a station was consistently out of the top 5 in the 25-54 , that means they are losing a lot of money and ad revenue. Do you think they will do what WCBS 101 and Krth did and abandon the 60s for 80s and a little 90s?

It's a myth that agencies buy just 5 stations deep. They may buy just one station, or a dozen. It depends on the buy and the demos of the buy.

If an agency is doing a spectrum 25-54 buy, they will look at reaching the younger end via CHR, Hot AC and Urban and, of late, Country. They will look at the mid-range with formats like AC and Country and Urban AC, and they will look to News / Talk, News, Classic Hits, Classic Rock for the older parts of 25-54. Much depends on the delivery of each station, rates for the specific demo needed, the product and other factors.

As long is WOGL is in the Top 5 in billings, I do not see them doing any major adjustments. As time moves on, the oldest songs will gradually disappear and more "newer" ones will be added.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom