• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio Ratings: October 2014

. It's not just that advertisers aren't buying radio to reach old people; they are not buying radio much, if at all.

Radio is up 10% since the mid-recession low point in 2009. The anticipated revenue for 2014 is $17.8 Billion.

These trade groups keep manufacturing statistics to show that (1) people listen to radio as much - or more - than ever and (2) advertisers buy radio as much - or more - than ever. You can believe them if you want.

These trade groups keep manufacturing statistics to show that (1) people listen to radio as much - or more - than ever and (2) advertisers buy radio as much - or more - than ever. You can believe them if you want.

Do you have any evidence that this fabrication is true? Because that would be a serious crime? Or are you just bitter you got fired from a station 40 years ago and have never gotten over it?

Do you have any evidence that this fabrication is true? Because that would be a serious crime? Or are you just bitter you got fired from a station 40 years ago and have never gotten over it?

Lying is not a crime, except under oath.

Gee, the old "disgruntled ex-employee" line. How original! How creative! Just like radio today. Go ahead, stay in denial. Keep imagining terrestrial radio is not in decline. Keep pretending the US is not number one, too, if that makes you feel good.

The same psychological condition that turns people to right-wing politics and fundamentalist religion, causes people to think that if ones says something it wrong with anything, they must hate it. Radio: Love It or Leave It. Lots of things I like that aren't around much any more. Full line downtown department stores. Luxury inter-city overnight trains. Massive downtown theaters with huge screens, full programs and even stage shows. Cafeterias. Drug stores with soda fountains. River excursion boats. And now terrestrial radio. It's not dead but it is on life support machines - automation, voice tracking, satellite syndication, computer in a closet stations. Nothing like real life radio.

Lying is not a crime, except under oath.

Lying on a financial statement for stockholders is a crime. You could single handedly clean up the radio business if you have proof of your accusations. Please, share them with us. We need a radio business that's honest!

Lying on a financial statement for stockholders is a crime. You could single handedly clean up the radio business if you have proof of your accusations. Please, share them with us. We need a radio business that's honest!

Where is the financial statement to stockholders in an RAB press release? Ever heard of PR flacks going to jail for lying?

Where is the financial statement to stockholders in an RAB press release? Ever heard of PR flacks going to jail for lying?

You realize that there are lots of independent sources that confirm those press releases?

It's not dead but it is on life support machines - automation, voice tracking, satellite syndication, computer in a closet stations. Nothing like real life radio.

If your point is that radio today is not like the 60s, you're right. And if you define radio by that, then I agree, it's dead. So are the vinyl records they used to play. No need for disc jockeys when the discs they used to jockey are gone. But none of that has anything to do with what comes out of the speakers and what advertisers buy. If you define banks by human tellers, then banks are dead too.

Last edited:

Bridge Ratings. Edison Research. BIA/Kinsley. Various advertising periodicals, all of whom doubt those RAB press releases just as you do, so they do their own quantification. Because they do this on their own, quite often their results aren't available for free to people outside the business. That's why it's not as accessible as the industry press releases. But if you're willing to pay for independent information, it's available.

When billions of dollars are involved, people don't just believe press releases. And they have the cash to buy their own independent studies. Which you obviously don't.

Last edited:
Good to see WPHT upped a few. So far I am possibly feeling a few more format flips. Specifically on the following stations, WPPZ, WDAS-AM, and maybe WPHI. But not for at least the next 6-8 months. Sadly WDAS-AM is the most in need of change. Either they change their signal pattern so it actually covers philly, or they switch to some cheaper format. Come to think of it, I think smooth jazz suits it. It is all computer fed I'm sure. I actually like it a lot though. I listen to it in the mornings on my drive to school, and then switch at 7 am to KYW for news and weather. Besides that, WPPZ could consider change. We got gospel on WTMR and WNAP. I say, bring back WDRE, but then we'd be fighting with WRFF. Do a 60's garage/ acid rock format? Early Pink Floyd? Tough sell, but it's low power, and probably cheap to run. Anyway, looks like radio in philly is getting better, even WPHT is. Probably because Mr. Sunshine (aka Dick Morris) has packed up and left.

Last edited:

BIA

"Data" is plural. As in "the data say."

Thank you; it's good to see that the grammar police are on the job. In my first language, a collection of data is called "datos" and is plural. Polyglots tend to have those little problems.

Last edited:

RAB is a trade association. It does not issue "statements to stockholders" as it is a non-profit organization.

The data comes from a combination of M/K, which covers most rated markets and some other methods for the smaller or unreported markets. I'd guess it is about as accurate as the US Census.

Since the RAB itself mentions Miller Kaplan as a main source, you have very accurate data for those markets that M/K reports.

Since, traditionally, 30% of all radio revenues come from the top 10 markets, even taking those 10 as a benchmark would show similar results. But when you have M/K in most of the significant measured markets, BIA doing independent estimates based on surveys of station management, and other sources such as public radio company financial reporting, the number is quite accurate.

What the ratings say is that very close to the same number of people use radio weekly as they have for many decades. What they also say is that the amount of time spent with over the air radio has gradually declined and continues to decline. That's why most of the major players are working to convert AM and FM listening to some form of new media platform listening so as to simply transfer the listening to the devices today's consumer is using.

Since you have no proof to the contrary, you are just foaming at the mouth.

Sadly WDAS-AM is the most in need of change. Either they change their signal pattern so it actually covers philly, or they switch to some cheaper format.

And you don't think that WDAS has examined every possibility for signal improvement over the last 6 decades or so? You can't take a crowded spectrum and just improve a station on a whim.

And now terrestrial radio. It's not dead but it is on life support machines - automation, voice tracking, satellite syndication, computer in a closet stations. Nothing like real life radio.

I first used automation at the number one and number two stations in a top 20 US market in the mid-70's. The reason was to release the air staff from the routine of waiting 3 minutes for records to end so they could get out and do promotions, record voice tracks for weekends and do more production. The result was that ratings went up.

At the same time, when the FCC no longer required transmitter operators with 1st Class licences for high-power directionals (10 kw and over) I was able to remote control the transmitter site. Technology allowed me to eliminate 6 non-productive positions and increase the programming and promotion budgets.

The newer advances in technology such as Internet program delivery, automatic assembly of shows from workparts via FTP, digital storage for commercials, music, promos, programs and voice tracks simply enhance the ability to produce good programming and to add quality national products when appropriate. It's just technology changing how we work.

Thank you; it's good to see that the grammar police are on the job. In my first language, a collection of data is called "datos" and is plural. Polyglots tend to have those little problems.

Since it's a Latin word, Latin rules generally apply.
Datum - singular.
Data - plural.

Like medium and media.

In Spanish, its dato and datos.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom