• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

old 1030 AM in Folsom,CA

Back in I think the 80's a station went on the air ,if I recall correctly it was licensed for Folsom. I remember visiting it ,it had 4 towers and afew famous on air people ,one that came from KNBR in SF,the station played MOR music.
It was on the air awhile but it seemed as soon as it went on it was then off the air ,never to return again ,its site ,studios & towers were knocked down.
What happen to them ? This was at a time when stations were applying and being granted spots on clear channels and at time everybody was applying for such a license.

Al

I don’t quite understand the history on 1030. Original CP in ‘84, Ed buys the permit in ‘86, builds the station and then tears it down shortly thereafter? Then Royce is granted a number of CPs in the 90’s to rebuild but never does? Permit is then canceled. In 2000’s Royce, Susquehanna, KM and others apply for permit under MX provisions; it is granted to KM for Elk Grove due to larger population over Folsom. KM never builds and permit expires.

Is 1030 a cursed frequency or what? Does anyone know why the built facility was removed? It seemingly had a great signal.

I don’t quite understand the history on 1030. Original CP in ‘84, Ed buys the permit in ‘86, builds the station and then tears it down shortly thereafter? Then Royce is granted a number of CPs in the 90’s to rebuild but never does? Permit is then canceled. In 2000’s Royce, Susquehanna, KM and others apply for permit under MX provisions; it is granted to KM for Elk Grove due to larger population over Folsom. KM never builds and permit expires.

Is 1030 a cursed frequency or what? Does anyone know why the built facility was removed? It seemingly had a great signal.

Careful, Ed will sue you just for talking about it :)

It signed on originally as KHWY with a country format. It did have good daytime coverage but was pretty bad at night.

Like so many other AM's, it probably never paid for itself and the land the transmitter was on became worth more than the signal. The median price of a home in Folsom is currently about $640,000.00. Obviously it was less back then, but how many houses can you fit on a transmitter site?

Dave B.

Who is Ed ,is this the guy that owns the LA stations ? So he first put 1030 on in Folsom ,then took it off & tore it down ???
Why didn't he try to sell it ,I know today the land the transmitter is on is worth more then the station but this "sudden 1030 is on then gone thing" happened in the 80's when radio was doing OK.
The signal as mentioned earlier here was not great at night ,they were 50kw day / 1 kw night.

Last edited:
So here it what I still don't get . . . why didn't the 1030 owners in Folsom ( Sacto ) try to sell that station instead they tore it down . . . it was a new facilty ???
I don't know how much it cost to build a new station . . . let's say for the FUN of it it cost $ 100,000 they couldn't sell it for $ 125,000 dollars ,they would have made a profit !
This was atime when everybody was applying for the opened up clear channel frequencies.

Careful, Ed will sue you just for talking about it :)
The station‘s owner shut down the station in 88. He was involved in some fraud and owed money to Placer Bank. The station never received a license to cover and the towers were told down and the site sold. Stolz picked up the permit for a song and never built it.

I don't know how much it cost to build a new station . . . let's say for the FUN of it it cost $ 100,000 they couldn't sell it for $ 125,000 dollars ,they would have made a profit !
Let's say they bought a used, but decent 50 kw transmitter back then... an old tube model. Maybe $50 k to $100 k. A bunch of towers, ground system and a phasor and engineering, probably around $180 k to $220 k. A prefab building AC for a 50 kw rig, electrical, montior and remote control... anywhere from $60 k to $100 k. An emergency generator, even to run at low power with automatic transfer, maybe $25 k or so.

We are around $400 thousand to nearly a half-million. Add in the land, permits, legal fees, start-up costs and you likely have a $600 thousand dollar station before it bills a single dollar.

I never built a 50 kw station from scratch, but was part of the building of a 100 kw AM with a new Nautel 100 kw transmitter and a 30 kw auxiliary. Single tower, big piece of land, construction in swampland, roadway, electrical... about $1.3 million not including import taxes from Canada, shipping and other administrative costs.

Yes I did listen, to an extent, when it was " The all new 10Q" I remember " The Curley Shuffle" being on their playlist and Jack Hammer ( old time KROY DJ ) being an on air personality. Night time was bad with KTWO from Casper being a problem even in downtown Sac.

Like so many other AM's, it probably never paid for itself and the land the transmitter was on became worth more than the signal. The median price of a home in Folsom is currently about $640,000.00. Obviously it was less back then, but how many houses can you fit on a transmitter site?

Dave B.
There are 32 homes on the land that the original tower array sat on. Zillow shows $794K for just one of them.

I live in the neighborhood---have for seven years. I knew the station existed, but didn't know it was in Folsom or that the towers were there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom