• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for Soft Rock Stations

There's plenty of radio stations with that era of music.

WMJX in Boston

WSRS in Worchester

WLTW in New York

WMGQ in New Brunswick, NJ

WRNQ in Poughkeepsie

KOST in LA

WJXA in Nashville

WNNS in Springfield, IL

KODA in Houston

WLNK

WLKN

WNIC

WLEV

KBIG

WTVR

WASH

WHOM

WWLI

WOOD/SRW

KVIL

KKCW

KKMG

WSUS

and also you can check iHeartRadio custom stations in which include all 90's tunes.

Hope the list helps some.

Lawrence

Aw, are you kidding me! Not KVIL! Worst programmed AC ever...Oh wait! They switched boards from AC to Hot AC just a year ago. KVIL was a great AC 15 years ago, but they didn't held up with time well like KMGL in OKC and WLTW in NY due to inconsistent competition in DFW radio.

KBIG, WLTW, WLNK and WJXA shouldn't be on that list.

WLTW has long been shown as an example of the stations that aren't playing AC the way it used to be. I have been seeing that they're adding some softer songs back in, or at least they have been playing those softer songs.

Well, I don't think WLTW is that bad of a mainstream AC, not unless you tried to compare WLTW in 2011 with other AC's in 2011 or if you tried compare it with real softer AC's like KIFM in San Diego, WFEZ in Miami, WDUV in Tampa, or WLYF in Miami.

I'm still surprised that they still play "Your Song" and "We've Got Tonight". Well it's not the 70s songs only which they play about 1 every 3 hours, but it's the 80's selection they offer and the rate of 80s songs they play. They play around 6-9 80s an hour compare to the KMGL now that plays 4 80s and hour. KMGL went down to 1-3 80s songs an hour back in December 2014 from when they flipped back from Christmas which really shocked me that they had shrinked their 80s selection dramatically following their complete elimination of 70s songs back in December 2013. I was driven away to listen to WRVR in Memphis for some time this year which still plays 1-2 70s an hour and 5-6 80s songs an hour w/ safe currents. Well, since KMGL refreshed their playlist back in March, they play about 4 80s an hour which isn't as bad and the 80s selection are quite interesting which got me back to listening to KMGL again. I still listen to WLTW once in a while this year.

I even noticed some of the currents that are already in hard rotation on KMGL hasn't even made it into WLTW's rotation at all as of now as of now like "Cool Kids" by Echosmith, "Boom Clap" by Charli XCX, "Jealous" by Nick Jonas. Thus, I even noticed KMGL is different this year than any of the past years I listened to KMGL. You hardly hear the same song again, whether it's an 80s song, 90s song, or 2k song, so when I hear "Broken Wings" or "Forever Young", I tried to enjoy it. I actually don't even hear some of the current that frequent, except for "Style" or "Blank Space" though. How did they manage to reduce the repetition with not that many songs in the playlist. Hmm...

When I listen to WLTW, I really missed KMGL from 2011 because of the heavy 80s rotation and the song selection. The days where KMGL was real heavy on 80s, with 6-9 80s an hour and 1-3 70s an hour. KMGL was older leaning in summer 2011 than it was in summer 2010 (the year I graduated from high school). It seems like 2011 was the best year for KMGL before it changes along with most of the AC's.

I still recall some of the 70s I heard on KMGL in 2011 was "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop, "Lotta Love", "Dream Weaver", "We've Got Tonight" besides the usual 70s stuffs aired on KMGL at the time "What A Fool Believes", "Listen To The Music", "Maggie May", "You're In My Heart", "Reason To Believe", "Crocodile Rock", "Tiny Dancer", "Piano Man", "Hold The Line", "Play That Funky Music".

The 80s I heard on KMGL in 2011 was "Everytime You Go Away", "True", "Young Turks", "Right Here Waiting", "Endless Summer Nights", "Nightshift", "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All", "The Way It Is", "Mandolin Rain", "The End of the Innocence", "Hands To Heaven", "Glory Of Love", "You're the Inspiration", "Higher Love", "Back in the High Life Again", "Rosanna", "Africa", "Eternal Flame" besides the usual 80s stuffs aired on KMGL at the time "Livin' on a Prayer", "Wanted Dead or Alive", "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", "Footloose", "Mony Mony", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".

The 90s wasn't much, but the 90s I heard on KMGL in 2011 was "Because You Loved Me", "That's The Way It Is", "More Than Words Can Say", "Back at One", "End of the Road", "I've Been Thinking About You" by Londonbeat along with the usual 90s stuffs aired on KMGL at the time "I'm The Only One", "All I Wanna Do", "I'll Be", "Mambo No. 5".

I even missed the charming nostalgic KMGL jingles that KMGL dropped in December 2012 to give way to the CHR-like jingles.

Some of the songs on WLTW today brings back what I used to hear on KMGL back in 2011 like "Everytime You Go Away", "True", "Young Turks", "Right Here Waiting", and "Glory Of Love". It's really amazing how KMGL changed over the past four-year course comparing to how WLTW changed over the past four-year course.

Pretty much, KMGL is heading the directions that most of the mainstream AC's are heading like KODA in Houston, KOST in LA, KSNE in Las Vegas, KOIT in SF, WBEB in Philly, WMGF in Orlando, KRWM in Seattle which are also AC's that used to lean pretty old around 2009 up till 2011 and changed a lot over the past four years unlike WLTW which didn't change drastically like KMGL and KODA over the past four years.

Here's KMGL playlist back in July 20, 2011 copied from one of my old post on this board which was also copied from yes.com working at the time.

KMGL playlist as of 7/20/11 from 1:04 PM - 3:00 PM (playlist from yes.com with the date/time edited out)

Peter Frampton - Baby, I Love Your Way
Genesis - That's All
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Survivor - The Search Is Over
Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money
Club Nouveau - Lean On Me
Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Michael McDonald - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
John Cougar - Jack & Diane
Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
LeAnn Rimes - I Need You
Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run)
Kelly Clarkson - Because Of You
Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence
Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror
Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
Spandau Ballet - true
Genesis - Misunderstanding
The Human League - Human
Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You

KMGL playlist as of 5/21/15 from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM (playlist from Mediabase with date/time and labels edited out)

TIM MCGRAW - Live Like You Were Dying
DON HENLEY - All She Wants To Do Is Dance
AEROSMITH - Cryin'
EDDY GRANT - Electric Avenue
ROBIN THICKE - Blurred Lines f/Pharrell/T.I.
CHRISTINA AGUILERA - Beautiful
RICK SPRINGFIELD - Jessie's Girl
SAM SMITH - Stay With Me
PHIL COLLINS - True Colors
BON JOVI - Livin' On A Prayer
CARRIE UNDERWOOD - Before He Cheats
SMASH MOUTH - All Star
HEART - These Dreams
ONE DIRECTION - Story Of My Life
PRINCE - 1999
OMD - If You Leave
ONEREPUBLIC - Counting Stars
JAMES BLUNT - You're Beautiful
NICKELBACK - Photograph
KATY PERRY - Roar
BEYONCE - Irreplaceable
MR. MISTER - Broken Wings
TAYLOR SWIFT - Style
RASCAL FLATTS - My Wish
JOHN C MELLENCAMP - Jack & Diane
MUMFORD & SONS - I Will Wait
TAIO CRUZ - Dynamite

Last edited:
Looks like WLTW isn't as bad as I thought it was.

There's not much reason not to call KMGL a Hot AC, but obviously some of those songs wouldn't fit that.

KMGL has been programmed by Steve O'Brien since 1986 as an AC. KMGL has been long owned by Renda Broadcasting before it was sold to Tyler Media in Fall 2012. I was wondering if Tyler try to make KMGL lean further away from its sister Classic Hits KOMA. But, I doubt the change in the mother company had any impact on KMGL music. It's pretty evident that most major market ACs evolves their own music over the past four-year course and KMGL is one of them.

WLYF refreshed their playlist yesterday. Looks like they're playing the same amount of 70s and 80s as WLTW is. Both WLYF and WLTW plays one 70s every other hour and 4-5 80s an hour as of now. WLYF is still slightly softer leaning than WLTW.

Some of the songs that were never played on WLYF before the playlist update are "I Gotta Feeling", "Only Girl", "With Or Without You", "The Promise" by When In Rome, etc.

Timothy here. One of our top favorite stations from my wife's list is Channel Z The Edge.

Here's the website: http://www.channelztheedge.com/

A wide variety of classic soft rock played on the station.

Some classic hits played on the station, such as "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner and "Separate Ways" by Journey, were relegated to classic rock stations in our neck of the woods during out 80's/90's childhoods.

Some contemporary country is part of the library.

Contemporary hits is mostly concentrated on the guitar-driven songs that were popular on AC in the 2000's.

Some classic hits played on the station, such as "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner and "Separate Ways" by Journey, were relegated to classic rock stations in our neck of the woods during out 80's/90's childhoods.
Which is as it should be.

I thought we were talking about what is soft.

That song is not too hard for me nor my hubby. We label it as medium rock.

Okay, just keep in mind some of us want soft to really be soft.

Where I spent last week there is no radio station playing soft music. And the AC can't be bothered to play the soft end of the format. Some songs are soft, but too many of them are the loud type of AC that makes me question whether it is Hot AC. When they play the "good stuff", or at least better stuff, I know they aren't.

I was very happy with Easy 98.1 San Diego. At times I wish they were smooth jazz however. I actually heard them by sporadic-E skip on Sunday from WA, at a distance of about 975 miles. First time I ever heard "Here We Are" by Gloria Estefan. Great song.
Of course, I also love KKRB 106.9 in Klamath Falls which I stream often.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom