• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LA Radio Dream Dial

KFWB missed opportunities in a couple of key areas. First, it never established a long-running morning show. Bruce Hayes lasted three years, Gary Owens just one. Wink Martindale actually had the longest tenure at five years, but within a year of his moving into mornings, KFWB's dominance ended.
I was just reminded that Wink didn't have five years in mornings at KFWB. He replaced Gary Owens in mornings in June of 1962, but sometime between June and October of 1965, KFWB moved B. Mitchel Reed into mornings and slid Wink down to 9-Noon.

Wink returned to mornings sometime between March and June of 1966, and left the station in February of 1967.

So Wink's unbroken time in mornings was roughly three years, the same as Bruce Hayes.

I was just reminded that Wink didn't have five years in mornings at KFWB. He replaced Gary Owens in mornings in June of 1962, but sometime between June and October of 1965, KFWB moved B. Mitchel Reed into mornings and slid Wink down to 9-Noon.

Wink returned to mornings sometime between March and June of 1966, and left the station in February of 1967.

So Wink's unbroken time in mornings was roughly three years, the same as Bruce Hayes.
I usually can find almost anything I'm searching for on the internet - but for some reason, I cannot find any information that shows KFWB's air shift assignments for their air talent from 1965-1975. I know Jimmy was on weekends for awhile, because I always listend to KRLA 1110 men who migrated over -- but I'm pretty sure that Mitch Reed kept his nighttime slot. This is frustrating. I remember that Wink was moved out of mornings into midday in 1965, but I'm almost sure that Wink was replaced by Lohman and Barkeley, who lasted until 1970. ( Yes, they later on had a long run at KFI, but I'm pretty sure they moved to KFWB in 1965). I'm sorry to ask about this, but you probably have insider information that I don't have on this topic. I actually had an entire folder of Top 40 record surveys from KFWB from that time, and I can't find them now. Darn it. :(. I'm sorry to sound compulsive. ( And I"m not stalking - just a nostalgic rocker here from the old days.). Thank you for any help you can provide -- Daryl.

I usually can find almost anything I'm searching for on the internet - but for some reason, I cannot find any information that shows KFWB's air shift assignments for their air talent from 1965-1975. I know Jimmy was on weekends for awhile, because I always listend to KRLA 1110 men who migrated over -- but I'm pretty sure that Mitch Reed kept his nighttime slot. This is frustrating. I remember that Wink was moved out of mornings into midday in 1965, but I'm almost sure that Wink was replaced by Lohman and Barkeley, who lasted until 1970. ( Yes, they later on had a long run at KFI, but I'm pretty sure they moved to KFWB in 1965). I'm sorry to ask about this, but you probably have insider information that I don't have on this topic. I actually had an entire folder of Top 40 record surveys from KFWB from that time, and I can't find them now. Darn it. :(. I'm sorry to sound compulsive. ( And I"m not stalking - just a nostalgic rocker here from the old days.). Thank you for any help you can provide -- Daryl.
Daryl Lynn,

Again, you took whoever that was' joke way too seriously a month or so ago. Stop apologizing. You're among fellow radio history fans here.

If I say something with certainty, it's because I looked it up. Otherwise, I say if I'm going from memory, which I try not to do, because that just gets chancier with time.

For example: No offense, but Lohman and Barkley couldn't have lasted until 1970 at KFWB, which went all-news on March 11, 1968.

I was reminded of BMR being in mornings while listening to an aircheck of Reb Foster in afternoons on January 21, 1966, in which he promotes BMR in mornings. That sent me online to a stash of KFWB record surveys (KFWB 980 Los Angeles), some of which have jock lineups with pictures.

But only some---which is why there's a range of "sometime between June and October of 1965" for the switch. And since posting that, I've narrowed it down to some week between August and October.

The entire thing appears to have been tied to KFWB's hiring of Lord Tim, the UK disc jockey. KFWB put Lord Tim in 6-9 p.m., moved BMR to mornings, Wink to 9-noon and Gene Weed to weekends and fill-ins. Gene was also hosting "Shivaree" on TV at the time.

Lord Tim didn't last long---again, there's a gap in surveys with lineups and photos, but by June of 1966, he's doing weekends, Mitch is back in evenings, and Wink is back in mornings. Gene Weed moves into 9-noon, Larry McCormick comes out of late evenings for noon-3 and Jimmy O'Neill re-appears in afternoons. I can't tell where Reb Foster and Joe Yocam landed in that particular shuffle, but I know Yocam was there until the switch to news in 1968 (tape exists).

Wink's last show at KFWB was in February of 1967 (again, tape exists) and that's when Lohman and Barkley came in, lasting until their final show on March 8, 1968, the Friday before the Monday flip to all-news (and, yep, tape exists).

Lohman and Barkley landed at KFI in October of 1968, replacing Geoff Edwards, who'd gone to KMPC several months before.

How was the launch after the laugh track stunt?
A lot of star Regional Mexican artists were part of it, including Marco Antonio Solis and Chente.

Daryl Lynn,

Again, you took whoever that was' joke way too seriously a month or so ago. Stop apologizing. You're among fellow radio history fans here.

If I say something with certainty, it's because I looked it up. Otherwise, I say if I'm going from memory, which I try not to do, because that just gets chancier with time.

For example: No offense, but Lohman and Barkley couldn't have lasted until 1970 at KFWB, which went all-news on March 11, 1968.

I was reminded of BMR being in mornings while listening to an aircheck of Reb Foster in afternoons on January 21, 1966, in which he promotes BMR in mornings. That sent me online to a stash of KFWB record surveys (KFWB 980 Los Angeles), some of which have jock lineups with pictures.

But only some---which is why there's a range of "sometime between June and October of 1965" for the switch. And since posting that, I've narrowed it down to some week between August and October.

The entire thing appears to have been tied to KFWB's hiring of Lord Tim, the UK disc jockey. KFWB put Lord Tim in 6-9 p.m., moved BMR to mornings, Wink to 9-noon and Gene Weed to weekends and fill-ins. Gene was also hosting "Shivaree" on TV at the time.

Lord Tim didn't last long---again, there's a gap in surveys with lineups and photos, but by June of 1966, he's doing weekends, Mitch is back in evenings, and Wink is back in mornings. Gene Weed moves into 9-noon, Larry McCormick comes out of late evenings for noon-3 and Jimmy O'Neill re-appears in afternoons. I can't tell where Reb Foster and Joe Yocam landed in that particular shuffle, but I know Yocam was there until the switch to news in 1968 (tape exists).

Wink's last show at KFWB was in February of 1967 (again, tape exists) and that's when Lohman and Barkley came in, lasting until their final show on March 8, 1968, the Friday before the Monday flip to all-news (and, yep, tape exists).

Lohman and Barkley landed at KFI in October of 1968, replacing Geoff Edwards, who'd gone to KMPC several months before.
Wow -- Thank you so much !! This is invaluable information ! Thank you for sending the link to the ARSA archives! I will have to learn how to navigate through that website, which has so carefully preserved the history of radio.

I know that for most people, this is extremely arcane and picky information, over half a century old, about air talent who sadly have already left us ( for the most part). But it is an amazing time in American history and American music, which impacted the entire world. It is a time of coming of age of a huge generation - the baby boomers - whose music had a profound effect on American culture and world culture. That time in music from roughly about 1956 to 1986 was extremely significant, and the people who led it were the air talent and the behind-the-scenes personnel of rock radio in all its different programming formats.

Thank you for the reminder that KFWB went to all-news in 1968 ( not in 1970, as I erroneously remembered). I also seem to remember that when Westinghouse bought KFWB in 1966, that they let go almost all the air talent and wanted to start out with all new people. ( I will learn to navigate the ARSA site). Do you see any info that shows that almost everyone was fired? Later, they brought back some of the jocks they let go.

I know you said not to apologize, but this is kind of like archaeologists working in Greece, digging up old pieces of Greek pottery and re-assembling shards of ceramics. It doesn't matter to anyone except people interested in archaeology -- so everyone else considers it a boring waste of time. But it is my way of paying tribute to people who led an entire cultural change of the world, IMO ; and radio professionals like yourself and others help to do the archaeology by donating their time. Thank you !

Michael -- I completely believe you -- and I'm so thankful for all the info you provided ! Where does the tape exist? I am enough of a radio nerd to want to go listen to the tape 🙂 You have gone to a lot of work to find this excellent information ! Greatly appreciated. - Daryl L.A.

Last edited:
I also seem to remember that when Westinghouse bought KFWB in 1966, that they let go almost all the air talent and wanted to start out with all new people. ( I will learn to navigate the ARSA site). Do you see any info that shows that almost everyone was fired? Later, they brought back some of the jocks they let go.

I know you said not to apologize, but this is kind of like archaeologists working in Greece, digging up old pieces of Greek pottery and re-assembling shards of ceramics. It doesn't matter to anyone except people interested in archaeology -- so everyone else considers it a boring waste of time. But it is my way of paying tribute to people who led an entire cultural change of the world, IMO ; and radio professionals like yourself and others help to do the archaeology by donating their time. Thank you !

Michael -- I completely believe you -- and I'm so thankful for all the info you provided ! Where does the tape exist? I am enough of a radio nerd to want to go listen to the tape 🙂 You have gone to a lot of work to find this excellent information ! Greatly appreciated. - Daryl L.A.
There were changes at KFWB in the final year-plus, after Westinghouse bought the station. Part of the motivation was that Group W decided to try one more approach to music, aiming for a position between KHJ and KMPC (https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1967/Billboard 1967-08-19-OCR-Page-0028.pdf#search="kfwb").

Jimmy O'Neill and Larry McCormick left about the same time as Wink: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1967/Billboard 1967-02-25-OCR-Page-0030.pdf#search="kfwb" I don't believe either came back. Neither did Reb Foster, who returned to KRLA.

They hired Bob Hudson, Dave Diamond and Roger Christian when KBLA flipped to country.

But, Joe Yocam, Gene Weed and BMR all stayed—Joe and Gene to the end.

During this period, it's hard to track the jocks, because KFWB no longer considered itself a Top 40 station and stopped publishing the Fab 40.

BMR convinced management to let him do cutting-edge rock on his evening show, and Dave Diamond expanded that when he arrived, but really, that just confused the station's image---playing light pop and outright MOR between Midnight and 7 pm and album tracks from some really wild rock artists for five hours in the evenings.

Mitch left in November of 1967 for KPPC, and Dave bailed in February 1968 to all-news to go to KFRC.

As for where to find audio, the grandaddy of aircheck sites is Reelradio: https://reelradio.com/index.php. Its founder, Richard Irwin, passed away a few years ago, so no new exhibits are being added, but there is a board of directors maintaining the archive and working to keep the links functioning.

Also, in the last couple of years, two collectors, RadioMaven 77 (archivist and restoration expert Rob Frankel) and Retro Radio Joe (no idea) have been posting massive quantities of airchecks to Mixcloud.com. You don't even need to log in there, just press and play. And rather than searching for individual contributors, you can just type call letters into the main Mixcloud search box and see what any and all of its users may have posted.

And, although he only posts 20th Century American airchecks once a week or so, Gordon Skene's PastDaily.com is a fantastic resource.

Last edited:
Thank you for sending the link to the ARSA archives! I will have to learn how to navigate through that website, which has so carefully preserved the history of radio.
While we're at it, a couple of other virtual museums---Ray Randolph's KHJ site: https://93khj.blogspot.com/

And, courtesy of David's phenomenal WorldRadioHistory.com site, Bill Earl's exhaustive (and exhausting---Bill, no offense, but you REALLY needed an editor) book "Dream House" about KRLA (Bill is the official KRLA historian): https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Station-Albums/Dream-House-KRLA-Earl.pdf

There were changes at KFWB in the final year-plus, after Westinghouse bought the station. Part of the motivation was that Group W decided to try one more approach to music, aiming for a position between KHJ and KMPC (https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1967/Billboard 1967-08-19-OCR-Page-0028.pdf#search="kfwb").

Jimmy O'Neill and Larry McComatrmick left about the same time as Wink: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1967/Billboard 1967-02-25-OCR-Page-0030.pdf#search="kfwb" I don't believe either came back. Neither did Reb Foster, who returned to KRLA.ht

Thank you, Michael, for all the excellent resources ! Thank you for the link to the newspaper from early 1967 with all the KFWB information. You know, I think that ( IMO), Westinghouse dismissed Wink-Jimmy-Larry-Mitch, or as management sometimes says, "came to a meeting of the minds" and encouraged them to leave. And that's really unfortunate, because all those guys were wonderful talents with charismatic personalities who could relate to listeners and create an atmosphere of congeniality and collegiality.

P.S. I was glad that Mitch found a niche with album stations, such as KPPC, an early-adopter of FM progressive rock. And of course, he was a mainstay at KMET 94.7, where he was so successful. I think I listened to Mitch way into the 1970's. Thank you again ! 🙂 - Daryl

Last edited:
While we're at it, a couple of other virtual museums---Ray Randolph's KHJ site: https://93khj.blogspot.com/

And, courtesy of David's phenomenal WorldRadioHistory.com site, Bill Earl's exhaustive (and exhausting---Bill, no offense, but you REALLY needed an editor) book "Dream House" about KRLA (Bill is the official KRLA historian): https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Station-Albums/Dream-House-KRLA-Earl.pdf
Thank you ! Shout-out to Bill Earl, KRLA historian, with whom I have now talked on the phone about 20 hours in the past two months. He has been very generous with his time, and his knowledge is extensive. I'm surprised that Bill and I didn't run into each other in the KRLA lobby, where fans were allowed to (quietly) hang out and watch the 1110 men work their magic with their fabulous voices and personalities.

When I was chatting on the phone with Bill Earl, he mentioned that he had never earned so much as a dime from his book and all his years of research. I told Bill that as a high school English teacher, I would have helped him edit his book and get it published on Amazon, so that readers could purchase a paperback or at least a Kindle version of it.

Thanks again, Michael ! I'm saving all this fantastic information in its own special folder. It does my heart good to re-live these dear old memories. -- D. 🙂

Jimmy O'Neill and Larry McCormick left about the same time as Wink: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-Index/IDX/1967/Billboard 1967-02-25-OCR-Page-0030.pdf#search="kfwb" I don't believe either came back. Neither did Reb Foster, who returned to KRLA.

They hired Bob Hudson, Dave Diamond and Roger Christian when KBLA flipped to country.

But, Joe Yocam, Gene Weed and BMR all stayed—Joe and Gene to the end.

During this period, it's hard to track the jocks, because KFWB no longer considered itself a Top 40 station and stopped publishing the Fab 40.

BMR convinced management to let him do cutting-edge rock on his evening show, and Dave Diamond expanded that when he arrived, but really, that just confused the station's image---playing light pop and outright MOR between Midnight and 7 pm and album tracks from some really wild rock artists for five hours in the evenings.

Mitch left in November of 1967 for KPPC, and Dave bailed in February 1968 to all-news to go to KFRC.

As for where to find audio, the grandaddy of aircheck sites is Reelradio: https://reelradio.com/index.php. Its founder, Richard Irwin, passed away a few years ago, so no new exhibits are being added, but there is a board of directors maintaining the archive and working to keep the links functioning.

Also, in the last couple of years, two collectors, RadioMaven 77 (archivist and restoration expert Rob Frankel) and Retro Radio Joe (no idea) have been posting massive quantities of airchecks to Mixcloud.com. You don't even need to log in there, just press and play. And rather than searching for individual contributors, you can just type call letters into the main Mixcloud search box and see what any and all of its users may have posted.

And, although he only posts 20th Century American airchecks once a week or so, Gordon Skene's PastDaily.com is a fantastic resource.
I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I believe that in the 70s Joe Yocam was a booth announcer/on camera pitchman at KCET

Thank you, Michael, for all the excellent resources ! Thank you for the link to the newspaper from early 1967 with all the KFWB information. You know, I think that ( IMO), Westinghouse dismissed Wink-Jimmy-Larry-Mitch, or as management sometimes says, "came to a meeting of the minds" and encouraged them to leave. And that's really unfortunate, because all those guys were wonderful talents with charismatic personalities who could relate to listeners and create an atmosphere of congeniality and collegiality.

P.S. I was glad that Mitch found a niche with album stations, such as KPPC, an early-adopter of FM progressive rock. And of course, he was a mainstay at KMET 94.7, where he was so successful. I think I listened to Mitch way into the 1970's. Thank you again ! 🙂 - Daryl
Memory and conjecture are not our friends here, Daryl Lynn. Let's stick with facts.

Wink was allowed to do a last show, which is extremely rare when a talent is being cut loose. My understanding is he resigned--- had a pilot for a TV show that looked solid, but ultimately fell through---at which point he went to KGIL.

Also, Mitch was not let go from KFWB. His friend, Tom Donahue, who had taken KMPX in San Francisco from block programming to freeform, was given the okay to do the same with then co-owned KPPC, and he needed someone in L.A. Tom convinced BMR that he'd have limited success with the new music in mono on AM, and BMR took a serious pay cut to make the move.

A few months later, when things blew up between Donahue and KMPX/KPPC, he did a deal with Metromedia to take over KSAN and, on a more limited basis at first, KMET, and brought BMR with him. BMR was the only live jock on KMET for several years, left in 1971 to do mornings at KRLA, which was doing an album-oriented thing under PD Shadoe Stevens, came back to KMET after a year, and finally moved to KLOS in 1978, where he stayed until his death in 1983.

Last edited:
Memory and conjecture are not our friends here, Daryl Lynn. Let's stick with facts.

Wink was allowed to do a last show, which is extremely rare when a talent is being cut loose. My understanding is he resigned--- had a pilot for a TV show that looked solid, but ultimately fell through---at which point he went to KGIL.

Also, Mitch was not let go from KFWB. His friend, Tom Donahue, who had taken KMPX in San Francisco from block programming to freeform, was given the okay to do the same with then co-owned KPPC, and he needed someone in L.A. Tom convinced BMR that he'd have limited success with the new music in mono on AM, and BMR took a serious pay cut to make the move

I have a question about being terminated from a radio job. So if an air talent is called in to speak to the management, & management says that one is fired, then it works just like any other business, correct? If one is fired, then one is expected to leave right away, with very quick good-byes.

But if an air talent voluntarily resigns, then one is free to give a couple weeks' notice, then one can create a good-bye show, correct?

For example -- on the internet, there's an air check of Dr. Don Rose, a famous Philadelphia DJ, doing a good-bye show when he leaves Philadelphia for KFRC San Francisco. He says on air that they made him an offer he couldn't refuse, so he is packing up and heading out west, then he thanks everybody in his circle of friends, associates, and so forth.

For example - When Wink left KRLA in April of 1962, he thanked everyone and said that he was going to work at Dot Records as their A & R director, and that he had really enjoyed his time in radio. I was quite young, but I remember hearing that show and thinking that I would really miss Wink.

In Sept. of 1962, Jim O'Neill voluntarily resigned in the same way, with a very gracious good-bye show, thanked everyone, etc., etc.
And I heard that show.

And......I think the same thing might have happened when Sam Riddle left KRLA - although I don't remember hearing his show.

So, if Wink voluntarily resigned from KFWB, then he would be allowed a good-bye show.......but if he were fired, or they came to a "meeting of the minds and wanted to move in a different creative direction" ( a euphemism for "you're fired"), then that person usually leaves immediately.

So, Wink must have wanted to leave of his own accord. ( which disproves my conjecture that he was fired. As you say, conjecture is not our friend).

But if an air talent is fired, then they pretty much are gone without any notice. By the way, this is difficult on listeners, who are just left hanging in the lurch and have no idea what happened to a beloved entertainer. Obviously, if the listener calls the station and asks, "Hey, where is so and so, who did a cool show", then the station simply replies, "We have no comment on personnel issues", so the listener has no idea.

In Bill Earl's book, he tells the story of KRLA DJ Ted Quillen ( who migrated over from KFWB), who one day was caught telling what KRLA's General Manager John Barrett considered an off-color joke. Barrett went into the DJ booth, pulled Ted out, and told him, "that's the dirtiest thing I've ever heard on radio", and told Ted he was out. Ted was working the 9-12 midday shift, and KRLA's morning jock, Dave Hull, was still at the station. Barrett told Dave to go back in the booth and take over for Ted.

Bill Earl, who was a personal friend of Dave Hull's, heard this story directly from Dave, who gave Bill permission to write it in his book.
Dave Hull, coincidentally, was fired from KRLA later on, for playing an advance copy of a Beatles' record that wasn't supposed to be released until the next day, I think. In both these cases, the station would not comment on what happened.

Last edited:
So it occurs to me that broadcasting is a very itinerant profession, where on-air talent is subject to the whims of management, or to reports published by ratings services like Nielsen. It's very much an "at will" profession, where talent just suddenly disappears, or re-appears, or new talent all of a sudden shows up out of nowhere.

This is difficult for listeners, especially teens, who may have become accustomed to hearing them, just as tv viewers feel sad when their favorite tv show gets canceled. JMO -- D.L. L.A.

So it occurs to me that broadcasting is a very itinerant profession, where on-air talent is subject to the whims of management, or to reports published by ratings services like Nielsen. It's very much an "at will" profession, where talent just suddenly disappears, or re-appears, or new talent all of a sudden shows up out of nowhere.
That is not just true for jocks. PDs are quite itinerant, and even GMs can move around.

Generally, the good people move to larger and larger markets as the money is better. The ones with personal issues, drinking or drugs or just plain irresponsibility will bounce around from bigger to smaller and back up.

I've actually had a residence in Cleveland, Birmingham, Miami, DC, Richmond, Phoenix, and LA for domestic radio jobs as well as Santo Domingo, San Juan, Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Mexico City and Buenos Aires. It's part "moving up" and part "moving to places that are fun, challenging and, of course, rewarding.

That is not just true for jocks. PDs are quite itinerant, and even GMs can move around.

Generally, the good people move to larger and larger markets as the money is better. The ones with personal issues, drinking or drugs or just plain irresponsibility will bounce around from bigger to smaller and back up.

I've actually had a residence in Cleveland, Birmingham, Miami, DC, Richmond, Phoenix, and LA for domestic radio jobs as well as Santo Domingo, San Juan, Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Mexico City and Buenos Aires. It's part "moving up" and part "moving to places that are fun, challenging and, of course, rewarding.

David, you've had an amazing and very successful career, which is due to your talent and your hard work ! Your accomplishments are very impressive, and we all owe you and Frank many thanks for setting up this free message board that is so enlightening, fun, and educational. Thanks so very much. 🙂🙂🙂

David, you've had an amazing and very successful career, which is due to your talent and your hard work ! Your accomplishments are very impressive, and we all owe you and Frank many thanks for setting up this free message board that is so enlightening, fun, and educational. Thanks so very much. 🙂🙂🙂
95% of the credit goes to Frank for rescuing this board when it was about to be abandoned... and then for updating the software, maintaining everything working and a lot more. There is a lot of work involved with keeping the bots and spammers out as well, so I think its Frank that deserves a holiday toast for the effort.

For me, I'm just honored here to be the Lone Ranger's "Tonto"! (Those who know Spanish or look it up may get a laugh at that name...)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom