• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KWIZ-FM Santa Ana is Spanish religion now?

Just caught it this afternoon, they are airing Radio Vision Cristiana but I don’t know whether it’s a brokered or lease arrangement or did Estrella sell it?

Just caught it this afternoon, they are airing Radio Vision Cristiana but I don’t know whether it’s a brokered or lease arrangement or did Estrella sell it?
There is no sale on record.

The Estrella Media site does not mention anything other than the regional Mexican format.

The Estrella Media site does not mention anything other than the regional Mexican format.

Not filed yet at least, but I have confirmed that Spanish Christian programming is now airing on 96.7. Story forthcoming.

From my listening , they are airing a combination of very old Mexican music, Spanish Christian music and preaching plus identifying as Radio Vision Cristiana . This has also been confirmed by locals on a Santa Ana Facebook group

It's being operated by the Universal Church's "Vision Latina". They also program a television network based at the late Walter Ulloa's KJLA 57.1 Ventura/Los Angeles.

Not filed yet at least, but I have confirmed that Spanish Christian programming is now airing on 96.7. Story forthcoming.
I’ve been wondering for quite a while if Estrella Media might get out of the radio business in order to concentrate on TV. This might be another step in that direction.

It's being operated by the Universal Church's "Vision Latina". They also program a television network based at the late Walter Ulloa's KJLA 57.1 Ventura/Los Angeles.

Yes, that Universal Church is very active here in Santa Ana.

Could this be some sort of LMA with Estrella Media? They seem to be growing and adding TV subchannels across the U.S.
Interesting that this means that the 6 live and local talents on the station, including "market legend" Humberto Luna appear to have been let go.

Humberto was my morning guy on KTNQ from 1995 until I moved into HBC corporate management and was a great person to work with. I've had my share of morning "stars" ranging from Doug Layton at WERC to El Cucuy and Piolín in LA to El Gangster in Puerto Rico to Javier and Osvaldo in Miami and the whole Gobierno de la Mañana in the Dominican republic and have loved all but two of them.

Interesting that this means that the 6 live and local talents on the station, including "market legend" Humberto Luna appear to have been let go.

Humberto was my morning guy on KTNQ from 1995 until I moved into HBC corporate management and was a great person to work with. I've had my share of morning "stars" ranging from Doug Layton at WERC to El Cucuy and Piolín in LA to El Gangster in Puerto Rico to Javier and Osvaldo in Miami and the whole Gobierno de la Mañana in the Dominican republic and have loved all but two of them

Wonder what station will resurface as "La Ranchera"...
It's problem is that a pure ranchera format is pretty much 55+ or even 60+. There may still be a ranchera hit or two on occasion, but the genre as a format is unappealing to younger demos. And Hispanics in the LA market have a median age about 11 years younger than non-Hispanic whites.

It's problem is that a pure ranchera format is pretty much 55+ or even 60+. There may still be a ranchera hit or two on occasion, but the genre as a format is unappealing to younger demos. And Hispanics in the LA market have a median age about 11 years younger than non-Hispanic whites.
Would you say the format is good based? Is it similar to what La Mera Mera 980 is doing?

Would you say the format is good based? Is it similar to what La Mera Mera 980 is doing?
There is very little new ranchera music, and essentially all the big, big stars are gone. So any ranchera format will have nearly all older music. And yes, 980 is very much based in old ranchera but it is broader than that, playing traditional norteña and the like.

There is very little new ranchera music, and essentially all the big, big stars are gone. So any ranchera format will have nearly all older music. And yes, 980 is very much based in old ranchera but it is broader than that, playing traditional norteña and the like.
980 plays lots of VERY old records...

980 plays lots of VERY old records...
Yes, a lot of the music comes from the Golden Age of Mexican Film, such as Pedro Infante's songs; Pedro died in an airplane crash in 1957 so his music is from the later 40's and earlier 50's. But among the culture, much younger people "inherited" the music from older family members and passed it on. }

As a teenager in Mexico City, I recall going to the movies and seeing a "double" of Infante movies and hearing his songs... and that was 7 years after his death and whole families went to those movies, keeping the tradition alive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom