• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRKO/KKXA To Test All Digital AM Broadcasting

Good points.

Sony seemed to be the only manufacturer that really seemed to be enthusiastic about AM Stereo. I know they had at least three portables (the SRF A-100, the SRF-??? Sports Walkman and the SRF-42) -- the A100 having a chip that would decode all three or four systems of the time (Kahn, Harris, and Motorola and another I can't remember).

FM HD is IBOC. Does any one know what IBOC stands for? In-Band-On-Channel. AM and FM hd are both IBOC. It could be argued that the all digital mode of AM HD might not be IBOC. This is a joke coming up, AM all digital could be called IBOC too. In-Band-Off-Channel.

They call it "In-Band-On-Channel" but if you look at the spectrum occupied by the HD carriers they actually take up 1/2 of the adjacent channel on both sides of the host station. More accurately, FM HD could be referred to as "IBAC" (In-Band-Adjacent-Channel).

Dave B.

Good points.

Sony seemed to be the only manufacturer that really seemed to be enthusiastic about AM Stereo. I know they had at least three portables (the SRF A-100, the SRF-??? Sports Walkman and the SRF-42) -- the A100 having a chip that would decode all three or four systems of the time (Kahn, Harris, and Motorola and another I can't remember).
Belar

I had a Sony SRF A100
It lasted about 10 years. I bought it new at SONY store in Portland when they were on NW Glisan. It had great sound, I recall KONA in Pasco saying they were Motorola when they started advertising AM stereo format so people would know which setting to place the radio in.

2 switches (A) Harris/ Motorola and Magnavox and (B) Kahn/Hazeltine so I guess 5 manufacturers but 2 settings.

We were looking for five systems and I didn't notice that Magnavox was also left out. Belar was the fifth system. Hazeltine was a later partner of Kahn, not a separate system.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom