• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO #1 in Evening News Ratings in April

If I was still in Seattle, I would much rather watch Steve Pool do WX on KOMO rather than Jordan Steele on KING. Seriously, a meteorologist that thinks all of the audience is 'new to Seattle'. I've never heard Steve Pool say that and probably never will. I've seen Morgan on KIRO, but this was before he became the chief (during the days of Sam Argier and Rebecca Stevenson). He's pretty good, but I'd rather watch the meteorologist that has been at the same station for 35 years...

Last time I streamed KIRO 7 News I was surprised with Dave Wagner. Very good anchor. He was also a correspondent at last year's Seafair race that was also simulcasted on SWX/KNDO 23.3 here in Yakima. Haven't seen much of Siemny Kim yet. I enjoy how they haven't thrown out long-time reporters lately. Alison Grande, Amy Clancy, Kevin McCarty, and Essex Porter are still at 7. Good experienced reporters and good chemistry with the anchors = viewer base.

Monty doing KNDU WX probably is a lifestyle choice. He first started at KNDO/23 circa 1990, then moved to KHQ by 1992-93.

(sidebar update: You brought up a lot of names. Monty Webb, former KIRO meteorologist, and other larger markets, is doing mornings for Cowles in Eastern WA, (KNDU/KNDO) Tri-Cities/Yakima. For him I think it may simply be a lifestyle choice, but I can't speak for him).

Monty Webb is like Dave Sims on the Mariners Play-By-Play.

He's a guy whose been everywhere, and done everything in markets big and small. He's got a great resume.

Yet, he's never able to stick, anywhere.

With both Monty and Dave, at first appearance they have "all the right stuff." The appearance. The voice. The technical skills. But once you've got them in place, you realize they both have a lot of little deficiencies, and eventually those things add to up and they move on to the next stop. Dave Sims' role with the Mariners may be the longest stop in his career. I don't know that Monty has lasted more than 5 years, anywhere.

Monty Webb is like Dave Sims on the Mariners Play-By-Play.

He's a guy whose been everywhere, and done everything in markets big and small. He's got a great resume.

Yet, he's never able to stick, anywhere.

With both Monty and Dave, at first appearance they have "all the right stuff." The appearance. The voice. The technical skills. But once you've got them in place, you realize they both have a lot of little deficiencies, and eventually those things add to up and they move on to the next stop. Dave Sims' role with the Mariners may be the longest stop in his career. I don't know that Monty has lasted more than 5 years, anywhere.

I don't know Monty, but I do know he actually started his career at KNDU Tri-Cities in the early 90's, that is why I speculated it was a lifestyle decision. I will give him credit though in one area...he had a pronounced lisp back in the day, and he overcame it. That is persistence. Beyond that speculation, I have no idea. He definitely has improved since those early days.

As for Dave Sims, I have definitely heard the critiques. (I think there was actually a website that focused on how bad he was as an announcer, don't know if it still exists, but was somewhat unfair.) I personally don't think he is terrible, in fact I don't mind him at all and I watch a lot of M's games.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom