• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO #1 in Evening News Ratings in April

When I lived in Seattle, I enjoyed KIRO's news content. A lot of their reporters are still there, along with Steve Raible at the anchor desk. Yes, KIRO hasn't had a 'sports team' for several years now. Gaard Swanson was the last sports director in the mid-2000s. They still do that 'High School Game of the Week' thing on Friday nights in football season, however. KING-TV does something similar - 'Big Game' or something like that. Here in central WA, KNDO/KNDU blow out half of their Friday newscast to cover HSFB in season!
I guess keeping veteran reporters and not forcing them to take buyouts works! I suppose a lot of KING viewers went elsewhere after the layoffs of Dennis Bounds and Jeff Renner.

When I lived in Seattle, I enjoyed KIRO's news content. A lot of their reporters are still there, along with Steve Raible at the anchor desk. Yes, KIRO hasn't had a 'sports team' for several years now. Gaard Swanson was the last sports director in the mid-2000s. They still do that 'High School Game of the Week' thing on Friday nights in football season, however. KING-TV does something similar - 'Big Game' or something like that. Here in central WA, KNDO/KNDU blow out half of their Friday newscast to cover HSFB in season!
I guess keeping veteran reporters and not forcing them to take buyouts works! I suppose a lot of KING viewers went elsewhere after the layoffs of Dennis Bounds and Jeff Renner.

I doubt sports has little to do with KIRO's success. They simply do it better. Let's not kid around, KIRO and KOMO are the top news stations in Seattle today. Yes, KCQP wins certain dayparts, like mornings, and 10pm. But the main battle has left KING as a poor performer to say the least. Tegna needs to pay total attention to one of their top markets, and soon.

Here is my viewing responses from Friday 4/29.

KING TV is showing less of the streetside (as I predicted). The new male anchor needs more energy. David Espinosa-Hall comes across as very low key. Almost to the point of boring. I don't see much chemistry with him and Amanda. I like Amanda, but she was much better with Greg Copeland.

So it is back to he drawing board for KING. They need to find the right anchor combos or they will be lost. The Tegna graphics are fine, but they should open up the intros to the creative process. Why should every Tegna open look the same? Makes no sense.

Went to lunch with my brother at the Space Needle today. So sad to look down at the dirt lot that once was KING-TV. I guess someday they will buiild overpriced apartments there, but too bad this location once was once the very nice home of KING Broadcasting.

Last edited:
All these years and I've never been to the Space Needle restaurant. But I've been up to the 73rd floor of the Columbia Tower which is way higher than the needle. Beautiful views to the Olympics, Cascades, out to almost Whidbey Island and towards Sea-Tac Airport.
I like how KCPQ has kept most of their main morning staff. Bill Wixey, MJ McDermott and Adam Gehrke are still on mornings to this day! David Rose is still doing weeknights and WA's Most Wanted I think.

All these years and I've never been to the Space Needle restaurant. But I've been up to the 73rd floor of the Columbia Tower which is way higher than the needle. Beautiful views to the Olympics, Cascades, out to almost Whidbey Island and towards Sea-Tac Airport.
I like how KCPQ has kept most of their main morning staff. Bill Wixey, MJ McDermott and Adam Gehrke are still on mornings to this day! David Rose is still doing weeknights and WA's Most Wanted I think.

Yeah, KCPQ kills it in the mornings. Good talent, good pacing, even good "wakeup music". lol.

As for my brazen opinion of KING's new male anchor, David-Espinoza-Hall, I should add he isn't bad, just different. Kind of reminds me of a young Aaron Brown, without Aaron's inflections and eyebrow movement. Aaron had a talent for being low key, but also providing other visual and audio signals that were interesting at worst, or intriguing at best. But he's retired and long gone.

I had the opportunity to compare Portland and Seattle local tv news this trip, and Seattle wins hands down. Portland looks small-time IMO, though KATU has improved their overall look. KOIN and KGW seem tired, and Fox is just a cookie-cutter affiliate that looks OK but lacks something...not sure what that something is.

David Espinoza-Hall seems like he'd make a great reporter, but not so much an anchor. I don't mind him being low key, but sometimes I feel like he's just literally reading words off the teleprompter with no emotion at all. A guy like Aaron Brown was low key, but he had a way of engaging you such that you would stick with him for an entire broadcast.

David Espinoza-Hall seems like he'd make a great reporter, but not so much an anchor. I don't mind him being low key, but sometimes I feel like he's just literally reading words off the teleprompter with no emotion at all. A guy like Aaron Brown was low key, but he had a way of engaging you such that you would stick with him for an entire broadcast.

But even Aaron Brown took a couple of years to hit his stride! I remember thinking KING was crazy to make him a main anchor. And, quite frankly, he was better solo anchoring than co-anchoring. When he co-anchored with Jean on the early news, I would just cringe -- they were seemingly never very comfortable together.

To be sure, I'm a huge Aaron Brown fan. So, give David a little while and see if he improves.

re KPTV: Lacking the noontime Perry Mason reruns? ;)
Watching old footage of Aaron Brown from KIRO, I understand how he made it to CNN in the 2000s. Fantastic anchor with great chemistry and presentation skills. CNN on 9/11 showed his greatest skills.

To be sure, I'm a huge Aaron Brown fan. So, give David a little while and see if he improves.

Behind the scenes and in the newsroom, Aaron was insufferable to work with. Ultimately his work attitude wrote checks his employers weren't willing to cash.

Behind the scenes and in the newsroom, Aaron was insufferable to work with. Ultimately his work attitude wrote checks his employers weren't willing to cash.

Interesting! I always guessed that there was some element of contention behind the scenes. His on-air "snark" worked well in Seattle, but never really caught on nationally. And nobody wanted him after his failure at CNN.

My Dad always said that Aaron left KING because he would NEVER be bigger than Jean Enersen and he definitely wanted to be the top person at the station.

Did Aaron have an ego? Yes. Did he want to advance beyond KING? Yes. Did his KIRO stint advance his career? Yes, and No. He certainly contributed to some better ratings there at Broadcast House, but in the end he needed to get out of local and into national, which he accomplished, first at ABC overnights, then at CNN evenings. His talent was evident all along. Some of the best performers in the biz were the not the best work partners. So what is else is new? Aaron will be remembered as one of the best, no question. I won't offer any opinion as why he retired so early, but he certainly hit a peak.

Yeah, KCPQ kills it in the mornings. Good talent, good pacing, even good "wakeup music". lol.

The crazy thing about the AM anchor team at KCPQ is that so many of them took non-traditional ways to that morning show team.

Only Liz Dueweke and Rebecca Stevenson really have traditional TV news career backgrounds.

Bill Wixey was a sports guy who got dumped by FSN, and somehow, in his forties, a time others would see their careers end, turned himself into a very good news anchor.

MJ McDermott was an actress whose biggest break was as the last side kick alongside Rosco the Raccoon. She went back to school, got a B.S. in Meteorology, and got a shot freelancing at NWCN. That became a weekend gig at KCPQ, and then later a shot on the morning show, again at an age well past when most people are able to make this kind of career shift. She certainly doesn't have the "look" most stations want for this kind of position, but the sheer force of her personality and incredible on camera presence have made her a staple in the morning.

Adam Gehrke was a radio guy, who once had long, long hair. IIRC when Fiona Dodd left KCPQ as the morning traffic reporter close to 15 years ago, they scrambled and signed a contract with Metro. My memory is fading but I seem to recall him voicing reports over traffic cam images for a few weeks before they brought him down to the studio, had him get a hair cut, and put him on the air. Is he still a Metro employee?

Kaci Atchison was another radio news anchor from the Bob Rivers show on KZOK. What TV station takes someone from the radio booth, with no TV experience, and puts them on the morning show?

My point is .... what top-15 station, other than KCPQ, would have picked up this collection of misfit toys over the years and put them all together into a great morning show? Even more shocking is some of these moves were made at the same time that station management was striking out with their choices of evening anchor teams.

I heard him a few years ago doing traffic for KPLU (now KNKX), so I think he's still working at Metro Traffic along w/ KCPQ. Might be different now.
I don't remember Fiona Dodd. Where did she go? Was she a Metro Traffic employee too? Amazing how KCPQ has taken all of these non-news anchors and turned them into stars. I remember when Kaci first started, when she was doing mainly lifestyle features. Then she was in the anchor's chair for a while before Liz took over, after Lily Jang left for Houston. BTW, where art thou Carmen Ainsworth? I remember her with Bill Wixey circa mid-2000s. And what about Brian Callanan? He was a long-time reporter for the morning show, when Angela King was still at 13. BTW, I never watched the KONG 7-9am news that much when I lived in Seattle.

I heard him a few years ago doing traffic for KPLU (now KNKX), so I think he's still working at Metro Traffic along w/ KCPQ. Might be different now.
I don't remember Fiona Dodd. Where did she go? Was she a Metro Traffic employee too? Amazing how KCPQ has taken all of these non-news anchors and turned them into stars. I remember when Kaci first started, when she was doing mainly lifestyle features. Then she was in the anchor's chair for a while before Liz took over, after Lily Jang left for Houston. BTW, where art thou Carmen Ainsworth? I remember her with Bill Wixey circa mid-2000s. And what about Brian Callanan? He was a long-time reporter for the morning show, when Angela King was still at 13. BTW, I never watched the KONG 7-9am news that much when I lived in Seattle.

Stacie Kern was the original Q13 Morning traffic anchor. She was a Q13 employee, left after she had a baby (and later reappeared as a reporter). Fiona Dodd replaced her. At the time, Tony Ventrella was the AM anchor (short lived). I really liked the show when he was the anchor, and I had a schedule such that I watched regularly before leaving in the morning (the only time in my life I regularly watched a morning new show). Fiona Dodd was a blond woman with a bit of a southern accent. Google brings up nothing on her whereabouts, but she was there one day and gone the next.

Regarding the rest... don't know what happened to Carmen. Brian Callanan left for the Seattle Channel to replace CR Douglas.

Seeing the comments here about David Espinoza-Hall just makes me think about how lucky KING was with their anchor talent for 20, nearly 25 years.

Before Belo sold KING, when was the last time KING brought in an anchor to be an anchor from out of the market?

Shannon Brinias replacing Lori Matsukawa on the weekend evening news in 1998? She didn't last long before she was replaced by Mimi Jung, who I believe was hired as a reporter.

Everyone else either came up from a reporter position, cut their teeth at NWCN and moved up or came from another station in the market.

Think about that. And think about all the strikeouts the other three stations in the market had at over the same time period.

Look at the history:

*KIRO, looking for something to push them over the ratings edge saw maybe their best team of all time (late 90s, early 00s) broken up when Tony Ventrella left, Wappler retired, and then they shoved Susan Hutchinson out the door. They replaced 3 out of 4 faces on their anchor desk within 18 months, and then spent a decade wandering in the woods. First Kristy Lee (too cold), then Margo Myers (talented, but weak chemistry with Raible), and finally Angela Russell (overly earnest). They cycled through weathermen ... first Andy Wappler (too dorky, wrong personality for a chief, but great for mornings), then Rebecca Stevenson (the ice queen). And they dumped sports all together.

KIRO watched tons of top tier anchor talent come and go through their morning and weekend newscasts. Sally Schulze, Margot Kim, Gulstan Dart, Brad Goode. Scott Haveson, Monty Webb, Patrick Hammer, and Rick Van Cise in the weather department. All very good, to excellent talent, all cycled through while KIRO flailed away finding the right team on weeknights.

*KOMO: The revolving door on mornings. They let Rick Van Cise, who was so good alongside Margo Myers, walk. Then they let Margo walk. Denise Whitaker, Molly Shen, Natasha Curry, Elise Jaffe, and Molly Shen again cycled through the morning news desk. Then they decided Todd Johnson was the problem on mornings (he wasn't) and replaced him with Jim Castillo. That didn't last long, and then they hired a winner in Paul Deanno, who left for a bigger market. Seth Wayne is subpar. And after Molly Shen went back to the evening newscasts, they're on their third female morning anchor.

*KCPQ: While they were assembling the misfit toys on the morning show, they blew through so many evening anchor combinations I can't even keep them all straight.

And now, after 20+ years of stability, KING is finding its not so easy to bring in new talent.

Like I noted on another thread recently, I don't mind KING bringing in a lot of late 20s, early 30s talent. The legacy talent that has retired over the last few years were all that age when they started, and whether they were gently pushed out or full on shoved out, they were all at retirement age. It was going to happen sooner or later.

The bigger problem is a lot of this talent just isn't that great. I believe that KING is trying to set up their anchor teams and style for the next generation of news watchers. And they're trying to capture a new audience and be the station that all the new people moving into the Seattle area want to watch.

Can they do that without alienating their long time base ... so far, the answer is no.

I watched a weather clip on the website tonight from the 6PM show. Rhonda Lee and Jordan Steel did a tag-team weather cast where Jordan popped in to cover an upcoming storm. Rhonda led into Jordan with some nationwide weather coverage pointing out some heavy storms in the Southeast. Then Jordan said something like "well for those of you not from around here, you know that Pacific Northwest storms just don't compare to severe weather in the rest of the country."

So Jordan Steel is actively talking to the audience who are "new to Seattle" as being "new to Seattle."

It was really something. If you are a Seattle native, or a long time resident, do you want to watch a station that gives context to their weather forecasts by talking directly to the crowd that's new to town (especially given how contentious growth has become across the region) by comparing Seattle spring storms to what happens in the rest of the country?

Or do you flip over to KOMO and watch Steve Pool, whose been around forever, Morgan Palmer on KIRO, who in his five years here always talks like he's been here forever, or Walter Kelly, who somehow, has been at KCPQ for nearly 20 years? Those guys talk about storms in Seattle by comparing them to historical storms in Seattle.

These are the problems confronting KING. They're big problems. I don't think hiring a bunch of homers is the answer. But they've got to figure out who they are even talking to.

Meanwhile - I watched some clips of last Friday's newscasts on KIRO on their web last night to see what I noticed. Monique Ming-Laven is the first female anchor that Steve Raible has really clicked with since they fired Susan Hutchison (something I noted and commented on here 5 years ago ... their newscasts improved when she filled in). And Dave Wagner, who anchors the 6PM with Monique, is outstanding.

KIRO knows they've got KING on the ropes. I disagreed with Bob Jordan's purge of some reporting talent a few years ago, but when you're able to lead the newscast at 5PM with a split screen of Essex Porter and Deborah Horne covering the top story, you're going to win.

I mean, really, when I saw they were leading the 5PM newscast with those two, I realized that KIRO, internally, is executing a well thought out strategy to capture KING's viewers.

Last edited:
KIRO knows they've got KING on the ropes. I disagreed with Bob Jordan's purge of some reporting talent a few years ago, but when you're able to lead the newscast at 5PM with a split screen of Essex Porter and Deborah Horne covering the top story, you're going to win.

I mean, really, when I saw they were leading the 5PM newscast with those two, I realized that KIRO, internally, is executing a well thought out strategy to capture KING's viewers.

I must agree with you here. Essex started at KIRO when I was in high school with the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 109- and knows Seattle well. I actually watched Deborah first at WPRI in Providence, RI -- I believe it was starting that same fall -- and then a decade later she appeared at KIRO in Seattle. I admire Deborah for her tenaciousness in working her way up the ladder. She was a newspaper reporter who transitioned into television. Deborah had to learn to speak properly for tv on WPRI (a bit shaky at first, but learned quickly over the years).

Seeing the comments here about David Espinoza-Hall just makes me think about how lucky KING was with their anchor talent for 20, nearly 25 years.

Before Belo sold KING, when was the last time KING brought in an anchor to be an anchor from out of the market?

Shannon Brinias replacing Lori Matsukawa on the weekend evening news in 1998? She didn't last long before she was replaced by Mimi Jung, who I believe was hired as a reporter.

Everyone else either came up from a reporter position, cut their teeth at NWCN and moved up or came from another station in the market.

Think about that. And think about all the strikeouts the other three stations in the market had at over the same time period.

Look at the history:

*KIRO, looking for something to push them over the ratings edge saw maybe their best team of all time (late 90s, early 00s) broken up when Tony Ventrella left, Wappler retired, and then they shoved Susan Hutchinson out the door. They replaced 3 out of 4 faces on their anchor desk within 18 months, and then spent a decade wandering in the woods. First Kristy Lee (too cold), then Margo Myers (talented, but weak chemistry with Raible), and finally Angela Russell (overly earnest). They cycled through weathermen ... first Andy Wappler (too dorky, wrong personality for a chief, but great for mornings), then Rebecca Stevenson (the ice queen). And they dumped sports all together.

KIRO watched tons of top tier anchor talent come and go through their morning and weekend newscasts. Sally Schulze, Margot Kim, Gulstan Dart, Brad Goode. Scott Haveson, Monty Webb, Patrick Hammer, and Rick Van Cise in the weather department. All very good, to excellent talent, all cycled through while KIRO flailed away finding the right team on weeknights.

*KOMO: The revolving door on mornings. They let Rick Van Cise, who was so good alongside Margo Myers, walk. Then they let Margo walk. Denise Whitaker, Molly Shen, Natasha Curry, Elise Jaffe, and Molly Shen again cycled through the morning news desk. Then they decided Todd Johnson was the problem on mornings (he wasn't) and replaced him with Jim Castillo. That didn't last long, and then they hired a winner in Paul Deanno, who left for a bigger market. Seth Wayne is subpar. And after Molly Shen went back to the evening newscasts, they're on their third female morning anchor.

*KCPQ: While they were assembling the misfit toys on the morning show, they blew through so many evening anchor combinations I can't even keep them all straight.

And now, after 20+ years of stability, KING is finding its not so easy to bring in new talent.

Like I noted on another thread recently, I don't mind KING bringing in a lot of late 20s, early 30s talent. The legacy talent that has retired over the last few years were all that age when they started, and whether they were gently pushed out or full on shoved out, they were all at retirement age. It was going to happen sooner or later.

The bigger problem is a lot of this talent just isn't that great. I believe that KING is trying to set up their anchor teams and style for the next generation of news watchers. And they're trying to capture a new audience and be the station that all the new people moving into the Seattle area want to watch.

Can they do that without alienating their long time base ... so far, the answer is no.

I watched a weather clip on the website tonight from the 6PM show. Rhonda Lee and Jordan Steel did a tag-team weather cast where Jordan popped in to cover an upcoming storm. Rhonda led into Jordan with some nationwide weather coverage pointing out some heavy storms in the Southeast. Then Jordan said something like "well for those of you not from around here, you know that Pacific Northwest storms just don't compare to severe weather in the rest of the country."

So Jordan Steel is actively talking to the audience who are "new to Seattle" as being "new to Seattle."

It was really something. If you are a Seattle native, or a long time resident, do you want to watch a station that gives context to their weather forecasts by talking directly to the crowd that's new to town (especially given how contentious growth has become across the region) by comparing Seattle spring storms to what happens in the rest of the country?

Or do you flip over to KOMO and watch Steve Pool, whose been around forever, Morgan Palmer on KIRO, who in his five years here always talks like he's been here forever, or Walter Kelly, who somehow, has been at KCPQ for nearly 20 years? Those guys talk about storms in Seattle by comparing them to historical storms in Seattle.

These are the problems confronting KING. They're big problems. I don't think hiring a bunch of homers is the answer. But they've got to figure out who they are even talking to.

Meanwhile - I watched some clips of last Friday's newscasts on KIRO on their web last night to see what I noticed. Monique Ming-Laven is the first female anchor that Steve Raible has really clicked with since they fired Susan Hutchison (something I noted and commented on here 5 years ago ... their newscasts improved when she filled in). And Dave Wagner, who anchors the 6PM with Monique, is outstanding.

I agree with this detailed post almost 99%. You bring up many points that I have in the past, but more concisely to your credit!

Seattle is and has been a very attractive market for TV reporters and anchors. Afterall, it is not only in the top15, but it is unquestionably the largest and most important market west of Chicago and north of San Francisco. So many have moved to the bigs from Seattle, it is hard to keep track of.

(sidebar update: You brought up a lot of names. Monty Webb, former KIRO meteorologist, and other larger markets, is doing mornings for Cowles in Eastern WA, (KNDU/KNDO) Tri-Cities/Yakima. For him I think it may simply be a lifestyle choice, but I can't speak for him).

But your main point is absolutely spot-on. Some Seattle stations are navigating through the mix of social media without compromising the traditional platform, some are not.

I agree with this detailed post almost 99%. You bring up many points that I have in the past, but more concisely to your credit!

Seattle is and has been a very attractive market for TV reporters and anchors. Afterall, it is not only in the top15, but it is unquestionably the largest and most important market west of Chicago and north of San Francisco. So many have moved to the bigs from Seattle, it is hard to keep track of.

(sidebar update: You brought up a lot of names. Monty Webb, former KIRO meteorologist, and other larger markets, is doing mornings for Cowles in Eastern WA, (KNDU/KNDO) Tri-Cities/Yakima. For him I think it may simply be a lifestyle choice, but I can't speak for him).

But your main point is absolutely spot-on. Some Seattle stations are navigating through the mix of social media without compromising the traditional platform, some are not.

Double reply? Sorry this didn't post for atleast 90 minutes after I posted. Please delete if there was a double reply here.

Last edited:
Did Aaron have an ego? Yes. Did he want to advance beyond KING? Yes. Did his KIRO stint advance his career? Yes, and No. He certainly contributed to some better ratings there at Broadcast House, but in the end he needed to get out of local and into national, which he accomplished, first at ABC overnights, then at CNN evenings. His talent was evident all along. Some of the best performers in the biz were the not the best work partners. So what is else is new? Aaron will be remembered as one of the best, no question. I won't offer any opinion as why he retired so early, but he certainly hit a peak.

Just goes to show, when you poop in the nest everywhere you go, nobody wants you in their nest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom