• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kevin & Bean - the beginning of the end?

I don't though, this was a simple lineup change. Things get stale, ratings falter. I never called anyone a liar and I never assassinated anyone. I might of Ad Hominime'd someone but I still don't know what that means? KMR was speaking from a consultants point of view saying a Broadcast team or a traffic reporter, or a news person isn't needed in today's Radio, that just isn't true. I don't have a smart phone or any devices which can tell me about Deadly crashes ahead, or the weather or news unless I want to tune away? That is the last thing the Broadcast station would want you to do?

No one said you assassinated anyone. Character assassination is when you say/post negative things with the intent to blemish someone's character. Similar to libel (or slander) but is not a legal term.

What KM posted:

New trend in the industry, referenced in the Barrett article this morning. Morning shows no longer "need" news and traffic reports, as more and more people rely on smartphone applications and the Net. If they are using radio the tendency is to tune in the all-news station rather than expect it on your music station.

KCBS-FM ("Jack") has never had news.

Watch. The ratings will go up as a result of this. I hate saying that, since I come from an era of radio being a full-service medium, but I'm fairly confident that will be the outcome given today's realities.

KM refers to a third party (the Barrett article)... hence the word "referenced". KM was not claiming to be the one who came up with the trend. She basically quoted the morning show's reasons for the change.

Oddly, you then post this:

Now we read in L.A. Radio about Death threats and Rape with the KROQ morning show. Sounds like another one of those Kevin & Bean hoax's?

(March 2, 2015) Death threats, forewarnings of rape. Sounds more like a reality tv show than radio. The drama started when Lisa May was fired from her 24-year job doing morning traffic on the Kevin & Bean Show at KROQ. Within hours it was announced that former KTLA/Channel 5 Morning News at-large feature reporter Allie MacKay would be joining the popular duo, the negatives on social media started with a flurry. The timing and execution of the hiring and firing was poorly done. Kevin & Bean, along with their program director Kevin Weatherly, have been contemplating ways to jump start their morning show with a fresh, new approach. They looked at the features currently airing and determined that their listeners no longer went to the show for traffic and news. Looking back this doesn't sound like an announcer was out of the loop or il informed to me?

The article goes on to say:
Once the decision was made, it happened so quickly that the morning guys were caught off-guard admitting they were like a deer in headlights.

So, this tells me that while they knew what would eventually happen, they did not know how things were going to transpire. And they were unprepared. Regardless, the REASONING for change was do to the apparent fact (read: TREND) that the listeners no longer need KROQ for news and weather. That is the point KM made (by referencing Laradio.com with the "Barrett article") but that YOU and ChannelFlipper disparaged her for.

So, where is the apology?

Last edited:
The whole reason we are having THIS discussion stems from you and Hot Hits condemning and ridiculing KM for having the opinion (one that has been misstated as a prediction.. even if KM indulged you) that news and traffic would be pulled from the station in question.. THAT observation from KM apparently was correct, as Hot Hits even quoted another source stating as much (I guess HH did not really understand it vindicates KMs opinion on the matter). If you are truly man enough ChannelFlipper, where is your apology to KM?

My judgement has not been bought, and that is a harassing, libelous statement because it is not valid. The facts are there, as I present them and stand on their own. You got dragged into this because of choice comments you made against KM. A third party website has essentially vindicated what KM initially said and that you and Hot Hits criticized. While I do have a vested interest in keeping KM as a client, KM would not ask me to lie, nor would I lie or taint my judgement in order for her to stay on as a client. Now if you are going to post libel against me by continuing to say my judgement is impaired and has been bought, there will be further legal repercussions. I also expect a public apology.

Mr. Moderator, I respectfully submit that you have now ceased in your role of moderation as it relates to this discussion and have converted to the role of active participant as YOU are now doing what you have accused others of in your original post entitled "Stop the Tit-for-Tat". You have again forcefully advocated for KMR and effectively parroted her position, point by point with any poster who has taken a contrarian stance.

Frankly, this topic doesn't mean that much to me. I just observed that last week KMR had, in my opinion, been hoisted by her own petard. That happens when one talks down to others as often as she does. Ordinarily I would be happy to indulge a good-faith dialogue as to the merits of my observation (which has been agreed with by several fellow posters who have PMd me but have wisely chosen to stay out of the discussion), but it is unfair to say the least that you, in your moderator position, have taken sides, demanded apologies and have actually threatened legal action - not even in a private message but right here on the board!

This is carrying it way too far. I post and read here for enjoyment due to my love of radio, particularly radio as it pertains to my home in southern California. I don't care about the post, the thread, KMR, or anything else. I have never endeavored to get in a protracted dispute of any kind and if someone tells me my post or facts are wrong (which has happened before) I admit it without seeking the protection of the moderators.

In the interest of putting this nonsense to rest, I will NOT be indulging in the specifics of your last post. You addressed my post as you have seen fit. I already posted my position that you responded to and it stands on its own - others can form their own opinions. Per your original request, I am stopping the tit-for-tat and for the second time, will be giving you the last word. KMR has also responded to my post and I am equally letting her have the last word as well.

Respectfully-

ChannelFlipper

Last edited:
As for me, KMR did say I called Bean a "liar" and then made some strange comments to deflect his assumptions. I like Bean, I like Kevin, I like you, the R.D. G.M . I am more surprised you refer to KM as "she" &" her"? Even I have never done that. If you want an apology I'll say I'm sorry although I'm not sure exactly why, probably for having to get you involved in this thread. I was taken with your view on paid members who are given certain additional rights or privileges though? I have never felt the professionals pick on the regular contributors for what it's worth. Everyone's thoughts are equally important in my opinion!

Last edited:
I can finally understand how K.M. Richards could grow so weary of the many comments some of us made last year regarding KRTH's dinky playlist and mind-numbing repetition...because I have now grown weary of the many comments made this year during the K.M.-ChannelFlipper-Hot Hits feud. Let's discuss radio and not each other. Please?

I can finally understand how K.M. Richards could grow so weary of the many comments some of us made last year regarding KRTH's dinky playlist and mind-numbing repetition...because I have now grown weary of the many comments made this year during the K.M.-ChannelFlipper-Hot Hits feud. Let's discuss radio and not each other. Please?
Yes but your playlist observations for the most part were absurd and anyone who has the patience to read them again would probably agree? Why there were even comments that nothing was going to change with Music or Talent, even citing Don as a source, and then everything changed. In that thread you posted the same stuff over and over. This discussion was very different~

If you read my last post, you will see that is what I am trying to do. I want to discuss radio, and have tried to end this now twice, by letting both KMR and the moderator have the last word. I, like you would rather post about radio and not participate in any feuds.

Please note that after last week's admonition from the moderator I had let this matter rest. But after letting others have the last word and three days of no action on this thread, I woke up this morning to find that I had been personally and publicly called out, by name, by the moderator of this board for the issue that should have remained dead. Of course I posted to defend myself, but that is all. I want this matter to end as much as you all.

Again, I would rather post about radio and regret that this has become so out of hand. My apologies to all for my role in letting it get so out of hand.

Last edited:
In 1804, Alexander Hamilton dueled with Vice President Aaron Burr. Two years later Andrew Jackson dueled with Charles Dickinson. Maybe we could......no, never mind. Forget I said anything. Boz has been doing an admirable job as mediator and dueling is not the best way to settle a dispute. :)

Worth sharing from today's (3/12/15) LARadio.com:

“Thousands of fans stopped listening to the Kevin & Bean morning show on KROQ over their controversial firing of long time co-host Lisa May (24 years) and newsman Doc on the ROQ (27 years). K&B’s justification was it was a ‘business decision,’ that Lisa was like former intern Tad and surfer Rockin’ Fig do not ring true.

Lisa and Doc were LONG time, crucial contributors to the success of the K&B show.

I personally want to know why KROQ didn’t have a transition or a goodbye for Lisa May and Doc. A Best of Lisa May show? How hard would that have been? Even Shock Jock Howard Stern stuck up for Robin Quivers when his station wanted to fire her. Why didn't K&B do the same thing? What five man team ditches two KEY members before the finish line? I predict K&B will be thinking of Doc and Lisa May when they accept their Radio Hall of Fame award. A nearly 30 year radio career has been forever tainted.

Also, how could Kevin and Bean discount and underestimate long-time listeners, many of whom considered K&B crew as extended family. We listened during the late 80s and 9/11, sent cards to impersonator Ralph Garman when his twins were in the hospital and his mom died; we were there when Bean donated a kidney and his wife Donna had a cancer scare. In fact, K&B fostered the notion of FAMILY until they fired two beloved family members. Then, radio became ‘just business’ and we were encouraged like small children to ‘just get over it.’

What else but public outcry would KROQ expect? Lisa was with the show TWENTY-FOUR years, and Doc TWENTY-SEVEN. It’s no wonder listeners feel betrayed. Lisa and Doc were not ‘temps’ and Lisa was not just a traffic girl.

This was a bad decision made worse by how it was handled. Did K&B think no one would notice Lisa and Doc were gone? Truth be told, Lisa May was the voice of the listeners, and more than that she was a kind harbor in a sea of testosterone.” – Millicent Borges Accardi, Topanga Canyon

Public outcry for Lisa May, I don't think so. They have lost 1000's of listeners? Do we know that as a fact. Lisa May didn't even really work for KROQ? Did Millicent Borges Accardi, Topanga Canyon give you permission to lift this from Don's site. Did Don give you permission to republish this as well?

About Millicent Borges Accardi

"Millicent Borges Accardi lives in Topanga Canyon, CA where she telecommutes as a technical writer and occasionally teaches as an adjunct instructor. Her writing awards include poetry grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, The California Arts Council, and the Barbara Deming Foundation. She's completed writers residencies at Vermont Studio Center, Jentel, and Yaddo, an artists' community in Saratoga Springs, NY"

Wow, the level of discourse on this page is shockingly immature. As adults, you should be embarrassed. On to the topic, for all the discussion about the Kevin & Bean show it seems like not one of you has heard the show. Whoever mentioned that we discontinued news in the morning is correct. And hiring Allie Mac Kay did nothing to backtrack that decision. She is not doing news. She is an air personality. I'd love to be involved with more actual radio discussions with listeners and industry colleagues. I'd love to see this board become that. Thanks for reading, hope everyone has a great weekend.

Lance, David, K.M. and Michael do their best to provide facts and statistics to offset our opinions and speculations and theories but I'm sure they would appreciate having another radio "insider" on this site. Gene, I'd love to see you as a regular participant here. Some of us---myself included---are occasionally immature or overly sarcastic or make the same complaints too many times...and when the man who donated a kidney to his station's engineer calls us immature, it is indeed embarrassing! And anyway, how many people tuned to KROQ in the morning to hear the news? Yeah, May and Britton had spent a lot of years at KROQ but longevity is no guarantee of permanence. Remember KLAC's Dean Sander? KIIS's Rick Dees? KOST's Kim Amidon?

Hey, there is nothing "immature" about our posts on those threads. In fact, some of us have been grown-up enough to acknowledge that there may be a few people who really do enjoy hearing September, I Melt With You, Hotel California and Old Time Rock & Roll five times a day, every day. Unless RadioDiscussions separates into two forums, one for the radio professionals and one for the fans of music and radio, I'm afraid there will always be some "us-vs.-them" discussions which will include a few immature-sounding comments. If we all agreed on everything, these threads would be awfully boring to read!

If you think THIS discourse is immature, you should peruse through some of the K-Earth threads.

He doesn't have to. He was one of the contributors to all of them and I'm sure he remembers them well, even if he does often ask questions more than once.

When I ask the same question on two different threads---which I do not do very often---it is because the question involves two different topics. For example, I will post a query regarding KLAC's ratings on both the KLAC thread and the ratings discussion. Now if you'll excuse me, K.M., I have to post this explanation on the other thread where you complained about me posting a question twice. :)

When I ask the same question on two different threads---which I do not do very often---it is because the question involves two different topics. For example, I will post a query regarding KLAC's ratings on both the KLAC thread and the ratings discussion. Now if you'll excuse me, K.M., I have to post this explanation on the other thread where you complained about me posting a question twice. :)
You probably are 60% of the old KRTH thread alone. If you remember correctly I was first to bring up the Weekend Talent blood bath @ KRTH before it happened. You even checked with another expert Don who confirmed there would be no changes, then everything changed. I only mention this because the named "experts" unless insiders are not always privy to this information. If that was in fact Bean posting, as he says things can & will change. You are a grown man, not immature, well perhaps a little, and have every right to post your opinions and observations along with the experts who provide those 'statistics to offset our opinions and speculations and theories'.

Last edited:
And now Lisa May is going to be joining Frank and Heidi over at KLOS, where PD Keith Cunningham says she will be doing "a lot more than traffic".

She starts next Monday the 11th.

Lisa May did traffic on Kevin & Bean's show for 24 years...until three months ago when supposedly Kevin & Bean decided their show no longer needed traffic reports. Did anyone ever determine if that was the real reason she was let go?

Lisa May did traffic on Kevin & Bean's show for 24 years...until three months ago when supposedly Kevin & Bean decided their show no longer needed traffic reports. Did anyone ever determine if that was the real reason she was let go?
Didn't they replace her with a fresh face who is a CBS employee, not having to give up inventory to an outsourced company? Lisa May was my Traffic reporter, reporting on the Beach & Surf conditions as well 30 years ago!

I think the only person who really knows is Kevin Weatherly, and he has made no further statements on the matter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom