• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K283CH 104-5 Alvin

There was a comment earlier that the K283CH and KMAZ operations were "coupled up from the start." I was pointing out that the two stations are on different buildings (KMAZ is on Wells Fargo while K283CH is supposedly from Chase) so I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Was hearing an open carrier on 104.5 earlier this morning at my Cy-Fair location.

That was actually my comment, Frog. I mistakenly thought KMAZ was on top of Chase as well, not Wells Fargo. That's my mistake for making that ill advised comment.

David, thanks for clarifying. I am absolutely amazed that this was actually attempted. What on earth are they thinking? They actually have a real chance to make the facility legitimate, and likely would be granted the second move. Why would you not only jeopardize the application, but the license for the entire facility itself? That's just baffling. Given what they were putting out signal wise, the right programming would likely rival a few of the larger facilities down the Southwest Freeway.

That was actually my comment, Frog. I mistakenly thought KMAZ was on top of Chase as well, not Wells Fargo. That's my mistake for making that ill advised comment.

David, thanks for clarifying. I am absolutely amazed that this was actually attempted. What on earth are they thinking? They actually have a real chance to make the facility legitimate, and likely would be granted the second move. Why would you not only jeopardize the application, but the license for the entire facility itself? That's just baffling. Given what they were putting out signal wise, the right programming would likely rival a few of the larger facilities down the Southwest Freeway.
So it's done? Like they won't have another chance for it? Or are they getting a warning?

So it's done? Like they won't have another chance for it? Or are they getting a warning?

There is no evidence the FCC even knows about the downtown site being used without even having a CP.

And, unless they have conclusive proof or evidence, there is likely nothing they can do / will do except, maybe, open an inquiry where they ask the operator if they began operations without authorization.

There is no evidence the FCC even knows about the downtown site being used without even having a CP.

And, unless they have conclusive proof or evidence, there is likely nothing they can do / will do except, maybe, open an inquiry where they ask the operator if they began operations without authorization.
Ok, so why did they take it off the air? Just as a precaution or someone told them something?

Ok, so why did they take it off the air? Just as a precaution or someone told them something?

It went off the air after this happened.

Mouse, I didnt silence anything. I simply called Pastor Guevara and asked about the station. I also sent him a link to this thread and advised that FCC officials in Washington monitor this board. He thanked me for the information.

It appears that KTBZ is supposed to be the originating station for K283CH after all. I discovered this morning that the 94.5 HD2 Rock format has disappeared. The HD2 is still there but with dead air; however the text readout on the radio has "La Mejor 104.5" and "Mas Musica, Menos Guiri." With my pedestrian Spanish I am unaware of what "guiri" means but Google Translate has the phrase as "But less foreigner music." Perhaps David Eduardo could explain?

It appears that KTBZ is supposed to be the originating station for K283CH after all. I discovered this morning that the 94.5 HD2 Rock format has disappeared. The HD2 is still there but with dead air; however the text readout on the radio has "La Mejor 104.5" and "Mas Musica, Menos Guiri." With my pedestrian Spanish I am unaware of what "guiri" means but Google Translate has the phrase as "But less foreigner music." Perhaps David Eduardo could explain?

"Guiri - Guiri" is "bla bla bla" or "more music and less talk".

Now that KTBZ-HD2 is co-branded with this translator, the situation looks ripe for CC to come in and buy the translator, assuming the downtown location is approved. All they'll have to do is place the desired format on KTBZ-HD2.

Now that KTBZ-HD2 is co-branded with this translator, the situation looks ripe for CC to come in and buy the translator, assuming the downtown location is approved. All they'll have to do is place the desired format on KTBZ-HD2.
To my understanding CC cant own anymore stations here in Houston they had to divest some of them per order of the DOJ

Last edited:
To my understanding CC cant own anymore stations here in Houston they had to divest some of them per order of the DOJ

HD subchannels don't count, and nothing is stopping iHurt Radio from leasing it from Guevara.

HD subchannels don't count, and nothing is stopping iHurt Radio from leasing it from Guevara.
But what about translators? Like I think Steve was saying that CC should buy 104.5 and rebroadcast what ever they want pm it.

http://youtu.be/EAlnv8s1Lcs They have already posted a promo video on YouTube

That's the second version of the ad. It was originally posted including pics of Raúl Brindis, Piolín and don Cheto with "X" marks over their mouths. Apparently someone protested the use of "their" talent's image in the spot and it was re-edited, apparently by iHeart.

Last edited:
Which will create a substantial rate of return for the church's investment...

LOL IHeartMedia running another station with a generic format is what Houston needs right? I think they might wanna flip it to classic hits, since that's what people in Houston have been calling for all this time.

They would have to be very careful with classic hits (if similar to Cool 92.5 in Beaumont) as it could easily poach Sunny's market leader position.

LOL IHeartMedia running another station with a generic format is what Houston needs right? I think they might wanna flip it to classic hits, since that's what people in Houston have been calling for all this time.

This thing is a translator, with just 250 watts; even at the proposed height for the CP application (which was only just accepted for filing), that's a limited area. It will (if granted) cover a good part of the area inside the 610, so you have to look who lives in that area. It is pretty definitely going to go Regional Mexican, as they even have a TV / new media spot produced.

Last edited:

This thing is a translator, with just 250 watts; even at the proposed height for the CP application (which was only just accepted for filing), that's a limited area. It will (if granted) cover a good part of the area inside the 610, so you have to look who lives in that area. It is pretty definitely going to go Regional Mexican, as they even have a TV / new media spot produced.

Limited yes, but look how many heads are within that 610 Loop! That's a populous larger than a good portion of other U.S. cities. Problem with Regional Mexican is they'll be going up against 102-9, and good luck with that. The long established powerhouse against the 250 watt new kid on the block. I don't like their chances...

If the test told us anything, it is that 104-5 is going to be more than what's advertised on paper. As far as it reliably reached up north, and reported to be around the same distances in other directions as well, 104-5 will cover a good million to 1.5 people with no problems.

Not bad for a 250 watt translator.

Limited yes, but look how many heads are within that 610 Loop! That's a populous larger than a good portion of other U.S. cities. Problem with Regional Mexican is they'll be going up against 102-9, and good luck with that. The long established powerhouse against the 250 watt new kid on the block. I don't like their chances...

If the test told us anything, it is that 104-5 is going to be more than what's advertised on paper. As far as it reliably reached up north, and reported to be around the same distances in other directions as well, 104-5 will cover a good million to 1.5 people with no problems.

Not bad for a 250 watt translator.

With the difference is that 102.9 doesn't play much music anymore. And 104.5 will sound better than La Raza and El Norte. So they will have some chance out there. I mean they have a better chance being Regional Mexican than trying to compete against MEGA 101 and LATINO MIX .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom