• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

James Corden to leave “Late Late Show” in 2023

@midnight is returning.

The pending 12:30 a.m. change is a blow for The Late Late Show brand, which first aired on CBS in January 1995 with Tom Synder, followed by Craig Kilborn, Craig Ferguson and Corden. @midnight‘s arrival would leave NBC’s Late Night with Seth Meyers as the only talker in the 12:30 a.m. slot, going head-to-head with the panel game show.

@midnight is returning.

The pending 12:30 a.m. change is a blow for The Late Late Show brand, which first aired on CBS in January 1995 with Tom Synder, followed by Craig Kilborn, Craig Ferguson and Corden. @midnight‘s arrival would leave NBC’s Late Night with Seth Meyers as the only talker in the 12:30 a.m. slot, going head-to-head with the panel game show.
It'll be interesting to see how well it does. One things' for certain - late night variety and talk shows have changed greatly in recent years. Carson, of course, used a format that was similar to his predecessors, but unlike the hosts before him who hosted for just a few years before moving on, Carson manned the desk and stage at the Tonight Show for a few decades. Letterman was probably the last who's show was done in that same mold and who, with few exceptions, stayed apolitical and was more about getting laughs, interviewing interesting guests and providing "entertainment". Jimmy Fallon is the closest to the more traditional offering, but Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers and especially Steven Colbert all have a strong political bent to them, to the point where, when you see those 3 hosts' names in the news, it's normally not to report on a creative or funny skit they performed or a landmark guest they had on or an interview they did, but how they took the legs out from under a certain politician, or attacked a political event or a party's stance, etc. IMO it's a bit too much. If I want political talk and commentary, I know where to find it. When I think of late night, I just want to be entertained.

@midnight is returning.

And a good chance that Seth Meyers will have the 2nd half hour from 1-1:35, at least in terms of late night network TV, all to himself exclusively unless CBS wants to make @midnight 2.0 an hour long show as the original was only a half-hour.

That's what I'm wondering. Will @Midnight still be a half-hour program on CBS, giving 1:07AM to the affiliates, or will it expand to 1 hour? The last time CBS ran a late-night game show was Personals and Night Games in 1991-92. They were dating/relationship game shows, and several stations preempted them altogether (I believe KIRO Seattle was one of them).

Yes, I miss the days of late night when it was unbiased and they joked about the weather, celebrities, and Los Angeles. How many more Trump jokes do we need to hear? It's redundant. You also had Headlines, Jaywalking, Carnac the Magnificent, Stupid Pet Tricks...I doubt Colbert would try something that creative nowadays. Sorry if my opinion is a bit edgy.

Last edited:

Although ABC's long-running "Nightline" (which originally ran at 11:30 P.M. ET/PT but has been seen at 12:30 A.M. ET/PT the last few years) is one of the most honored programs in television history, I wonder if ABC might dump it and replace it with a comedy-oriented talk/variety show that would run from 12:30-1:30 A.M. ET/PT.

Although some might protest ABC dropping one of the network's most prestigious programs, a comedy-oriented talk/variety show on ABC at 12:30 A.M. would probably get much better demographics than "Nightline", even if it draws fewer viewers than "Nightline".

ABC may be of the opinion that with James Corden not getting replaced by a talk/variety show, they may want to launch one to compete against Seth Meyers and that they'd be more successful competing against one talk/variety show in the 12:30 A.M. ET/PT slot rather than facing two such shows.

I wonder if ABC might dump it and replace it with a comedy-oriented talk/variety show that would run from 12:30-1:30 A.M. ET/PT.

Two different budgets. Nightline is ABC News. A comedy/talk show would fall under Late Night Programming. So it becomes a turf war between departments. It's a big company.

The other question is, which would bring a larger financial payoff to the network Nightline or a new, upstart comedy/talk show, and would it be worth it financially to upstart a new comedy show that wouldn't be unlike the handful of others already on the air. It must also be kept in mind that, viewer tastes and habits have changed. Back in the day, I'd wager that a large part of Letterman's audience when he was on Late Night on NBC were college students and "night people", which is one of the reasons he came up with oddities like Stupid Pet Tricks and Throwing Things off a 5 Story Building, and also had some off the wall, eccentric guests on. Today's college students and "night people" are surfing the net, on their smart devices or binge-watching streaming content.

I want to be entertained why I don't watch the late-night talkers to political, or the days of Carson, Leno which I prefer over Letterman that weren't too political like it is now. Late-night talkers weren't what I was into when I was a teen/young adult.

I want to be entertained why I don't watch the late-night talkers to political, or the days of Carson, Leno which I prefer over Letterman that weren't too political like it is now. Late-night talkers weren't what I was into when I was a teen/young adult.
You must not remember the political jokes Carson and Leno would tell.

Carson and Leno made jokes about both sides, and also Letterman until his later years. I can remember reading an article where Carson said that he didn't want to do jokes that would offend half his audience, and Leno also said something recently about not doing political jokes in his shows. But then now if they do any kind of political joke, expecially about Trump, his goons are going to get offended.

Carson and Leno made jokes about both sides, and also Letterman until his later years. I can remember reading an article where Carson said that he didn't want to do jokes that would offend half his audience, and Leno also said something recently about not doing political jokes in his shows. But then now if they do any kind of political joke, expecially about Trump, his goons are going to get offended.
Agreed. Carson never wanted people to know where he stood politically, as it was irrelevant - he was an "entertainer" first and foremost and he told jokes about both parties and recent/topical political happenings in general. Also, sure, Carson did a few Reagan impressions, fully dressed to look like Ronnie....But I never remember those skits being harsh or mean-spirited - they were just a "character" he played, like Art Fern, Floyd R. Turbo and the others. I rarely watched Leno, but if anyone from that era did show their hand politically at times it was Letterman, and that was only in his last few years on CBS before retirement. His monologue and comedy wasn't particularly partisan, but he did on a few occasions call out or challenge guests if they said things that weren't true or or if he saw reason to call BS. - That said, if republicans consider themselves "patriots" they should have loved the comments Letterman made from his desk his first show back after 9/11 which he did as a cold open with no opening "Late Show" theme. He also brought on a stage full of first responders, some of them still with dust and debris on their fire coats, to recognize them after 9/11.

Last edited:
I saw a video on YouTube saying once The Late Late show with James Corden ends it's getting cancelled by CBS for a new game show @Midnight in its place. Do anyone thinks ABC, CBS and NBC should just abandon Late Night TV and give the 11:30pm time slot back to their stations. Even reruns and/or movies would get higher ratings than Jimmy Fallon at this point.

Do anyone thinks ABC, CBS and NBC should just abandon Late Night TV and give the 11:30pm time slot back to their stations.

Would you be willing to just throw away $50 million? Based on YouTube? If it was your money?

BTW Corden isn't getting canceled. It's his choice to leave.

Stephen Colbert is an investor in the new show.

He chose to leave and CBS decided to cancel the show instead of replace it with a new host as they did the last 3 times.

Only way ABC or NBC would replace the late night talk show is 1) For ABC Jimmy Kimmel quits and ABC decides that nobody else could bring in the money or ratings that he could and move Nightline back to 11:30/10:30 central and give the Midnight/11pm hour back to affiliates.

2) For NBC I don't think they would want to get rid of their 2nd talk show quite yet. Especially if they do go ahead and cancel the 3rd hour of primetime and shift everything up and hour or give the affiliates extra late night local news and let the late night talk shows stay the same.

3) Seth moves to the Tonight Show after Jimmy Fallon decides to step down and a new host takes over Late Night. The 2nd option is they both leave around the same time and someone completely new takes over The Tonight Show and they don't want to gamble on 2 new hosts so they decide to cancel Late Night after 45 plus years in late night.

CBS could no longer afford to produce 'The Late Late Show with James Corden' as it raked in less than $45M but cost up to $65M to make​

CBS aired its final episode of "The Late Late Show" after a 28-year run on April 27 and its termination may have had to do with the show's declining profitability.

Sources told Brian Stelter for Los Angeles Magazine that the late-night show, hosted by James Corden since 2015, cost $60 million to $65 million a year to produce but only made less than $45 million.

"It was simply not sustainable," an anonymous executive told Stelter: "CBS could not afford him anymore."

CBS could no longer afford to produce 'The Late Late Show with James Corden' as it raked in less than $45M but cost up to $65M to make​

How does a budget get totally out of control? Watch the Last Late, Late Show. They recreated a stunt from Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise co-starring in the bit. The 10 minute piece on the show must have cost millions. The budget was out of control. Compare with any other network talk show.

How does a budget get totally out of control? Watch the Last Late, Late Show. They recreated a stunt from Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise co-starring in the bit. The 10 minute piece on the show must have cost millions. The budget was out of control. Compare with any other network talk show.
Many feel that, without Corden having his "Carpool Karaoke" bits to prop him up, he most likely would have been shown the door a while ago as he wasn't great in that role - besides the fact that he was also supposedly an ass to his staff when the cameras weren't on him. Late night talk hosts have always used "segments" and "bits" to break up the monotony, add color to the show and even as a time filler if the show was running a bit short or a guest cancelled last-minute, but they didn't need them for survival. Corden perhaps did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom