• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

James Corden to leave “Late Late Show” in 2023

CBS will probably find some TikTok star to replace Corden. To me, he's meh. In a perfect world, CBS would relaunch Craig Ferguson, Geoff, Secretariat and his funny puppets :)

I vote for the daily show to replace James Corden

If you're referring to Trevor Noah, given that he's already in the Paramount Global stable, he could certainly be a name to pay attention to. However, like Crainbebo mentioned, they could go "outside the box" and bring in some social media star to helm the 12:37am slot on CBS.

If you're referring to Trevor Noah, given that he's already in the Paramount Global stable, he could certainly be a name to pay attention to. However, like Crainbebo mentioned, they could go "outside the box" and bring in some social media star to helm the 12:37am slot on CBS.

Umm... NBC tried to do that with Lilly Singh. Look how that turned out...

Yeah, I tried with Lilly (and not just with her talk show)...a little too obnoxious for my tastes.

There's a Youtube video showing an interview with Peter Lassally who was a producer for Carson, Letterman and later the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. While the guy is old-school for sure and has been in the business for years, I thought the interview was interesting as it explains how Craig Kilborn was selected to host, a hire that Lassally was against, and then the selection of Ferguson happened once Kilborn was gone, a hire which Lassally supported after meeting a number of potential candidates.

Personally I enjoyed James Corden on his UK comedy shows back before he hosted the Late Late show, but I never cared for him on the Late Late Show. If it weren't for his Carpool Karaoke bits, I don't think the guy would have lasted as long as he did.

I used to love late night television. But I can't think of a more dated concept in 2022. A man in a suit cracking jokes about the items of the day is so played out in an era where WE are the ones making those jokes and comments on social media. Interviews with public figures who are so overexposed, being on a TV show isn't anything special. None of it holds any relevance anymore.

There's a Youtube video showing an interview with Peter Lassally who was a producer for Carson, Letterman and later the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. While the guy is old-school for sure and has been in the business for years, I thought the interview was interesting as it explains how Craig Kilborn was selected to host, a hire that Lassally was against, and then the selection of Ferguson happened once Kilborn was gone, a hire which Lassally supported after meeting a number of potential candidates.

Personally I enjoyed James Corden on his UK comedy shows back before he hosted the Late Late show, but I never cared for him on the Late Late Show. If it weren't for his Carpool Karaoke bits, I don't think the guy would have lasted as long as he did.
I'm surprised that Seth Myers is still on the air. His show is so dry, nothing like Late Night used to be.

I'm surprised that Seth Myers is still on the air. His show is so dry, nothing like Late Night used to be.
As @AbrahamJSimpson points out, most of us commenting are probably outside the key demo for these shows and the networks that carry them, but yeah...

The 11:30 slots used to be have the monologue, a few comedy bits, some goofy holiday gift or cooking demos and maybe some features with animals, and it was more lighthearted with interviews of more well-known celebrities, sports figures and folks doing plugs for TV shows, movies or books, etc. The 12:30 slot was more geared toward "night people" (a Jean Shepherd reference) and for college students up late - Craig Ferguson, Conan, Letterman when he had Late Night on NBC. It was more off the wall, eccentric with some more "goofy" stunts and concepts and odd ball interviews. Under Meyers and Corden the 12:30 slot hasn't felt much different overall than the 11:30 shows.

Seth Myers basically moved his weekend update to Late Night. I think what Corden did with The Late Late Show threw out the rules and did something different.

As @AbrahamJSimpson points out, most of us commenting are probably outside the key demo for these shows and the networks that carry them, but yeah...

The 11:30 slots used to be have the monologue, a few comedy bits, some goofy holiday gift or cooking demos and maybe some features with animals, and it was more lighthearted with interviews of more well-known celebrities, sports figures and folks doing plugs for TV shows, movies or books, etc. The 12:30 slot was more geared toward "night people" (a Jean Shepherd reference) and for college students up late - Craig Ferguson, Conan, Letterman when he had Late Night on NBC. It was more off the wall, eccentric with some more "goofy" stunts and concepts and odd ball interviews. Under Meyers and Corden the 12:30 slot hasn't felt much different overall than the 11:30 shows.
Remember too that there was a time when only the night owls watched the shows as a practical matter. Now people can watch whatever, whenever, wherever.

I'm young(ish) and still believe that late-night programming on the networks sucks nowadays. It's all making jokes on political statements and the same A-list celebrities peddling their new movie coming out 'this Friday'. Gone is the Carnac from Carson, the Headlines from Leno, Letterman's goofiness, and of course, Craig Ferguson and his puppets, Secretariat, and that robot Geoff.

If I watch any late night ANYTHING, it's Real Time with Bill Maher, Fridays on HBO. He's not afraid to tell it like it is, and he has some good journalists and political guests. I like his 'new rule' segment.

Corden lasted (IMO) solely because of Carpool Karaoke. It took off, it was the new trend. Young demos loved it. He even had First Lady Michelle Obama on one segment. Without Carpool, he would have been yanked after 1 year.

I'm young(ish) and still believe that late-night programming on the networks sucks nowadays. It's all making jokes on political statements and the same A-list celebrities peddling their new movie coming out 'this Friday'.
Another thing that many have noted is that the better hosts - Carson, Letterman, Ferguson, allowed their guests to shine and they knew when to get out of the way and just let an unexpected moment or a funny bit play out. Too many times, I've seen Fallon have a guest on who was telling a really interesting story or telling something very deep or personal, and Fallon completely cuts them off with a completely different line of questioning or feels the need to crack a joke and kind of destroys the moment. Fallon and Corden especially seem to need to be the focus at all times. If a funny bit happens, they try and insert themselves. If something starts playing out between two other guests, rather than just going silent and letting it happen spontaneously, they feel the need to involve themselves. Even on Carpool Karaoke, Corden sometimes tries to "out sing" or sing over his guests.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom