• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

it's about time a Dance CHR should be attempted

2Son said:
2Son said:
Saladressing said:
Wow those are tight rotations for Hot 97.5. LOVE the uptempo feel, but might as well just load up the 15 tracks they play on your phone and spin them over and over every day, you'll get the same experience, minus the commercials.

I know, right? Well, here's hoping they starting adding some more tracks.

I'm happy KMVA has added David Guetta ft. Sia "Titanium" into regular rotation.
One of my favorites from David Guetta!!!

While I like some Dance tunes, it is not viable to put on a CHR in many markets unless a younger leaning format. Nothing personal, only business. In the markets I live in, Gold based CHR is a necessity to keep audience and ratings. Those 35-54 office listeners are necessity to keep the audience and ratings. And too much Dance, Hip-Hop, and Urban will lose that desirable audience.

Re: the last post, maybe in smaller towns, but generally speaking the wish for Dance CHR would be for it to go into places such as Denver (where it now is), Vegas (where it now is), NYC, Miami, etc.; the cosmopolitan markets.

Kent T said:
While I like some Dance tunes, it is not viable to put on a CHR in many markets unless a younger leaning format. Nothing personal, only business. In the markets I live in, Gold based CHR is a necessity to keep audience and ratings. Those 35-54 office listeners are necessity to keep the audience and ratings. And too much Dance, Hip-Hop, and Urban will lose that desirable audience.

CHR is in no way focused on 35-54 year olds
The concensus is 18-34 year olds, with some CHRs leaning younger focusing on 15-30 year old females, and a few focusing more on 25-34 year olds.

BTW, which markets were you referring to? Where do you live? Which CHRs were you pointing to?

Saladressing said:
Re: the last post, maybe in smaller towns, but generally speaking the wish for Dance CHR would be for it to go into places such as Denver (where it now is), Vegas (where it now is), NYC, Miami, etc.; the cosmopolitan markets.

Why would Vegas be a target market? That is a tourist town. I understand that they have a nice nightclub scene but its filled with tourist.

Dancerev889 said:
Saladressing said:

Why would Vegas be a target market? That is a tourist town. I understand that they have a nice nightclub scene but its filled with tourist.

You could say the same about Miami or Orlando, and both have had Dance stations
The clubs in Miami are full of tourists, but there's a lot of locals that enjoy dancing, or listening to Dance music. Why wouldn't the same hold true for Vegas?

CHRles said:
Dancerev889 said:
Saladressing said:

The clubs in Miami are full of tourists, but there's a lot of locals that enjoy dancing, or listening to Dance music. Why wouldn't the same hold true for Vegas?

Miami is the 12th largest market according to arbitron.

CHRles said:
Dancerev889 said:
Saladressing said:

I do think it could work for Las Vegas, but my educated "guess" on why corporate doesn't think so is in part of what Brett said. But we'll take it a step further than that.

Yes, Miami is number 12, but they also have a large metropolitan area to work with (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach Counties). The same could be said for Orlando (#34) as well (Orange, Seminole, Brevard, Lake, Volusia Counties). Even though Las Vegas is two notches above Orlando, the metro area is pretty limited. In a matter of minutes, you can be out in the desert. Add to the fact that most people that have moved to L.V. during the 90's economic boom are now leaving their foreclosed homes behind in droves. In that sense, the "home" audience is shrinking.

Like I had said...educated "guess"

Tony Santiago said:
CHRles said:
Dancerev889 said:
Saladressing said:

I do think it could work for Las Vegas, but my educated "guess" on why corporate doesn't think so is in part of what Brett said. But we'll take it a step further than that.

Yes, Miami is number 12, but they also have a large metropolitan area to work with (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach Counties). The same could be said for Orlando (#34) as well (Orange, Seminole, Brevard, Lake, Volusia Counties). Even though Las Vegas is two notches above Orlando, the metro area is pretty limited. In a matter of minutes, you can be out in the desert. Add to the fact that most people that have moved to L.V. during the 90's economic boom are now leaving their foreclosed homes behind in droves. In that sense, the "home" audience is shrinking.

Like I had said...educated "guess"

Most people leaving? That's quite a generalization. A few people have said that about Phoenix as well; however, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference here. Any person I know who had a house that went into foreclosure is either renting another home or has moved to an apartment in the valley.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom