• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC NOV For 92.5 K223CW

K223CW and K287BQ interfered with Cool 92.5 and Free 105.3 within their 60 dbu. They should not make it that far east.
I was aware of the 105.3 interference, because they are in Winnie and usually covered to the Sam Houston Tollway East. Once the translated downtown fired-up, they weren't able to cover Baytown. Cool 92.5 is further East, and I'm not sure if they could cause interference to them except during tropo.

K223CW and K287BQ interfered with Cool 92.5 and Free 105.3 within their 60 dbu.
Probably the worst is the interference to KTWL. I know KWUP gets interference within the 55 dBu around Montgomery and I’m sure even in parts of the 60. 94.1 does interfere with parts of the southern 60 dBu contour of the translator in Willis. Also in parts of the 60 for KLTR (unknown if that’s the case if they weren’t underpowered). If these translators interfere with the powerful Beaumont stations like that, I’m sure the smaller ones around Bay City like KKHA get interfered with. And don’t even get me started on all the unfortunate LPFMs in the greater Houston area like KZCW-LP in Willis.

I just can’t wait to see the day these translators are in spec and can check out what these stations would be like interference free.

(These are all personal observations)

Probably the worst is the interference to KTWL. I know KWUP gets interference within the 55 dBu around Montgomery and I’m sure even in parts of the 60. 94.1 does interfere with parts of the southern 60 dBu contour of the translator in Willis. Also in parts of the 60 for KLTR (unknown if that’s the case if they weren’t underpowered). If these translators interfere with the powerful Beaumont stations like that, I’m sure the smaller ones around Bay City like KKHA get interfered with. And don’t even get me started on all the unfortunate LPFMs in the greater Houston area like KZCW-LP in Willis.

I just can’t wait to see the day these translators are in spec and can check out what these stations would be like interference free.

(These are all personal observations)
The Conroe LPFMs are basically useless anyway, with low volume audio only in one channel, weird podcasts, and obscure country music the rest of the day. No major loss lol

The Conroe LPFMs are basically useless anyway, with low volume audio only in one channel, weird podcasts, and obscure country music the rest of the day. No major loss lol
That may be true and they’re extremely weak as is but if I’m driving and they’re talking about an emergency happening, I would sure like to listen (in mono).

That may be true and they’re extremely weak as is but if I’m driving and they’re talking about an emergency happening, I would sure like to listen (in mono).
I’ve tuned in a few times where I’d expect them to be talking about an emergency, and instead I get country stiffs or some goofy podcast in one channel. It seems like the city has basically given the stations to some guy at “Lone Star Community Radio” to use as his personal playground.

I’ve tuned in a few times where I’d expect them to be talking about an emergency, and instead I get country stiffs or some goofy podcast in one channel. It seems like the city has basically given the stations to some guy at “Lone Star Community Radio” to use as his personal playground.
Often they’ve been dead air during extreme weather. Thankfully that’s been awhile. Once I’ve heard some interesting electronic music before midnight

There seems to be three LPFM stations operating in Conroe. Two are licensed to the City of Conroe (KZCC 106.1 and KZCW 104.5 FM) and one that appears to be a Spanish religious broadcaster (KCVE 107.3). Are you telling me that the City of Coinroe has relinquished control of their station to a third party who is apparently not operating it in the public interest, since it does appear to be licensed to the City of Conroe?

According to Wikipedia, the stations are intended to relay emergency information to residents in the event of an emergency (the COVID-19 pandemic was mentioned), and regional programming otherwise. Richard Schissler and Sean Keith Thompson host the station's morning talk program. This program is called "Dick and Skippy In The Mornings" and airs weekday mornings from 9 AM to 10 AM CST.[4] Rick Sellers hosts the station's afternoon show, called "Afternoons With Lone Star" which runs from 3-7 PM.[5] The station also hosts a county and southeast Texas-wide news radio and television show called The County Pulse, which airs every Thursday afternoon from 1-2 PM.[6] The County Pulse is hosted by Jack Paylor, Rawson Duplantis, Sanat Nair, Isabella Foristeri, and Jason Sharer. Various other news, talk, and music shows fill the mid-day time slots.

So, are you telling me some guy at Lone Star Community Radio (whatever that is) has commendeered the stations, fired all the numerous air talent, and is using it "as his personal playground?" I've never heard of Dick and Skippy in the Mornings, but it seems like they have an awful lot of programming for a Low-Power FM station.

Last edited:
The City of Conroe's web site shows that both LPFM stations 104.5 & 106.1. The partnership between Lone Star Community Radio and the City of Conroe was developed to provide the Citizens with hyperlocal community programming 24/7 as well as an emergency alert system that will help connect citizens directly with the City of Conroe’s emergency management team in the event of an emergency.

The City of Conroe's web site shows that both LPFM stations 104.5 & 106.1. The partnership between Lone Star Community Radio and the City of Conroe was developed to provide the Citizens with hyperlocal community programming 24/7 as well as an emergency alert system that will help connect citizens directly with the City of Conroe’s emergency management team in the event of an emergenc
Now I'm confused. The licensee is the City of Conroe, but the operator is Lone Star Community Radio (whatever that is). However, "some guy" is instead using it as his personal playground.

There are other stations that appear to also be in control of people other than the licensee name. Maybe it is time for all stations to have to file ownership reports. One engineer told me that about 30% of LPFM stations have no valid SOS status as well as are at locations other than their licensed site. Then there are the stations that are not on the air and have not been for a long time.

There are other stations that appear to also be in control of people other than the licensee name. Maybe it is time for all stations to have to file ownership reports. One engineer told me that about 30% of LPFM stations have no valid SOS status as well as are at locations other than their licensed site. Then there are the stations that are not on the air and have not been for a long time.
In Conroe's case, they appear to be licensed to the City of Conroe, therefore it is licensed to the Citizens of Conroe.

There seems to be three LPFM stations operating in Conroe. Two are licensed to the City of Conroe (KZCC 106.1 and KZCW 104.5 FM) and one that appears to be a Spanish religious broadcaster (KCVE 107.3). Are you telling me that the City of Coinroe has relinquished control of their station to a third party who is apparently not operating it in the public interest, since it does appear to be licensed to the City of Conroe?
You forgot KJHJ-LP which is licensed to 94.9 but has always been on 102.5. Also KZCW might be licensed to Conroe but it’s located right in Willis.

Is the licensee aware of this? And how is it that one LPFM licensee can (or should) have two licenses?
I’m sure they’re aware of it. They’re the ones who requested to change from 102.5 to 94.9. Both KJHJ and KCVE are supposed to be on the same tower but they’re not on that tower. They do have the same coverage so I think they’re still sharing towers. KJHJ is La Mejor you can hear elsewhere in the city on 102.5 and KCVE is La Nueva you can hear on the 94.1 translator.

As for the 2 licenses I think they’re allowed because the licensee is the City of Conroe. I don’t know who this guy running it is but I know they have a studio in downtown Conroe inside one of the shops.

Are you telling me that the City of Coinroe has relinquished control of their station to a third party who is apparently not operating it in the public interest, since it does appear to be licensed to the City of Conroe?
It's local government. You're more than welcomed to call the city and I'm sure someone will direct you to the right people that can answer your questions. .
According to Wikipedia,
I'm going to have to stop you right there. Wikipedia is not the official mouthpiece of the City of Conroe.

Back
Top Bottom