• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC NOV For 92.5 K223CW

The FCC issued a Notice of Violation to SDK Franco owned 92.5 K223CW Houston for multiple violations improperly receiving its programming feed (KFNC-HD2) via internet stream, operating with TPO of 100 watts as opposed to licensed 7 watts, and a modified directional antenna pattern than licensed.
Thanks for the insight and the link, Lance. What impact will this have for KFNC, other than the future lowered output power on 92.5 or forced CP or STA?
Does Gow have any liability for allowing a translator with his signal to operate illegally?

Hopefully the FCC is aware that there is no KFNC HD-2, and that K223CW is not a full simulcast of the main KFNC signal.
Read it in FCC terms. The FCC could only go after SDK Franco as the licensee, saying it was internet fed was their way of saying it wasn't rebroadcasting KFNC-HD2. There's nothing they could do against Gow in this circumstance.

Read it in FCC terms. The FCC could only go after SDK Franco as the licensee, saying it was internet fed was their way of saying it wasn't rebroadcasting KFNC-HD2. There's nothing they could do against Gow in this circumstance.
We should point out that Gow claims to be operating an HD-2 on 97.5, as the KFNC TOHID includes “KFNC HD-2”. There is NO HD on KFNC, so Gow is participating in a ruse.

We should point out that Gow claims to be operating an HD-2 on 97.5, as the KFNC TOHID includes “KFNC HD-2”. There is NO HD on KFNC, so Gow is participating in a ruse.
They can say whatever they want to say. Doesn't mean anything in terms of the FCC inspector's visit to 92.5...

Perhaps another visit was made to KFNC and a further violation notice is coming. Right now all we know is what the FCC sent to Franco.

They can say whatever they want to say. Doesn't mean anything in terms of the FCC inspector's visit to 92.5...

Perhaps another visit was made to KFNC and a further violation notice is coming. Right now all we know is what the FCC sent to Franco.
As was said on Dragnet a over a half century ago, "Just the facts, m'am".

Attachments

• 1701468994097.jpeg
    1701468994097.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1
There's a very interesting gray area here - because the 92.5 translator is a non-fill-in for KFNC, there's not supposed to be any financial support for the translator from the primary station's owner.

Even so, I think the violation there would fall on SDK Franco as the translator's licensee, not on Gow as the primary station's licensee.

I would be surprised if this turns out to be the only NOV, though. In my experience, when the EB comes to town, it comes for everyone.

There's a very interesting gray area here - because the 92.5 translator is a non-fill-in for KFNC, there's not supposed to be any financial support for the translator from the primary station's owner.

Even so, I think the violation there would fall on SDK Franco as the translator's licensee, not on Gow as the primary station's licensee.

I would be surprised if this turns out to be the only NOV, though. In my experience, when the EB comes to town, it comes for everyone.
The FCC just visited Boston and busted every pirate , not just one

Just checked at my current location just south of Conroe and it seems the same. But College Station is blasting in currently so KWUP is strong and the HD is actually coming in over the translator in spots

View attachment 6139
The FCC inspector must have missed this. K223CW is being fed over the air by KFNC-HD2. This is the HD radio up on top of Wells Fargo. The only one in the world that can receive KFNC-HD2
They noticed .

Here is the break down for those that don't want to read the FCC letter gibberish. 3 Violations noted.

"On May 17, 2023, based on a complaint, agents of the Enforcement Bureau’s Dallas Office inspected FM radio translator station K223CW (the Station) and observed the following violations:"

1. "At the time of monitoring and inspection, the Station was not receiving their primary station (KFNC-HD2), Mont Belvieu, Texas (Facility ID No. 52407) signal directly through space but was using an internet audio stream to retransmit KFNC-HD2."

2. "At the time of inspection, agents observed the Station operating with a yagi antenna radiating at an azimuth of approximately 310°. The Station did not file an FCC Form 349 to make changes to their transmitting antenna system."

3. "The Station is authorized an effective radiated power (ERP) of 28 watts in the horizontal plane and a transmitter output power of 7 watts. At the time of inspection, the Station’s transmitter indicated the Station was operating with a transmitter output power of 100 watts"

Back
Top Bottom