• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dolby Atmos over the air?

That's for sure. You started calling me names for saying SDR's are toys. Can't imagine how high your blood pressure would spike if I actually tried to insult you. Bet you're a lot of fun to be around.

If you've bothered to look at other posts from Kirk, he's fascinated with quad, binaural, and now Atmos. Kirk is under the impression that if radio would adopt Atmos, that somehow listeners would return to being audiophiles like back in the 70's.
How I can block your permanently so we can't see each other? This would help a lot because I'm really not interested on your trolling on this forum. You're doing this in ever thread. Nobody asked for your opinion if my thread is relevant or not. Go away dude please.

^^^
We know 5.1 audio is important to many of you...

I'm hoping that moves like this influence Radio to (re)consider surround sound (even if it's just selected songs -the DJ could announce the following song is in surround sound - maybe a variation of the NBC color TV show reminder/promo - the following song is brought to you in Living Surround Sound [RCA used the phrase "Living Stereo" to promote their stereo albums]).

Kirk Bayne

I'm hoping that moves like this influence Radio to (re)consider surround sound (even if it's just selected songs -the DJ could announce the following song is in surround sound - maybe a variation of the NBC color TV show reminder/promo - the following song is brought to you in Living Surround Sound [RCA used the phrase "Living Stereo" to promote their stereo albums]).
Here's another reality statement that may cause mpx's head to explode: But the vast majority of audio consumers don't know whether they're listening to stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or NHK's new entry 32.1. Chances are if a music station in their car was operating in mono, they might notice a difference, but probably couldn't identify what the difference is. The majority of the popular smart speakers are already mono.

^^^
We know 5.1 audio is important to many of you...

Kirk Bayne
Even youtube knows surround is a nice thing. The tools are here. 6 channel mixers for broadcast production are avaible since early 2000s. HRTF over Stereo is perfectly possible on FM Stereo, On Headphones or good aligned stereo speakers this can bring up a new spice to radio. Atmos gives even more possiblites.

Atmos gives even more possiblites.
^^^
Much discussion of Atmos (and related systems), but not much about Atmos via FM radio.

IMHO, perhaps just adding a third (surround channel) to FM stereo (via another subcarrier in the FM signal) would be best, it could provide surround sound in vehicles with only 1 added amp and speaker (Atmos could be downmixed from 11 channels to 3 channels).

Kirk Bayne

Even youtube knows surround is a nice thing. The tools are here. 6 channel mixers for broadcast production are avaible since early 2000s. HRTF over Stereo is perfectly possible on FM Stereo, On Headphones or good aligned stereo speakers this can bring up a new spice to radio. Atmos gives even more possiblites.
Having a six-bus mixer is barly part of the discussion to get surround out to FM, though. It's frankly the easy part. Surround production is vastly more expensive than two-channel stereo. It takes a calibrated monitor environment, and lots of extra time but the target audience is relatively tiny.

HRTF is of course possible, but completely incompatible with any speaker system without serious, and specially calibrated DSP. Not going to happen. Headphones only, sorry. HRTF/Binaural on stereo speakers, no matter how they are aligned, is worse than stereo, it sounds very mono-ish and strange. That alone is one big reason binaural has never actually succeeded in the marketplace.

So far, Atmos on headphones is specific to headphones, and Atmos on speakers requires each system to be properly set up regardless of the speaker count. It's far from universally operable.

I'm all for surround on FM, but I really feel that horse has left the barn. Or was never in the barn to begin with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom