• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Doing Talk Shows from Home

I look forward to the day when FTL has inspired like minded people of more talent. Talk radio needs more *real* Libertarians.

Bruce Williams still does his show from home in West Palm Beach. He's in Jersey sometimes and will do it from there, but I just don't remember where in Jersey. Somewhere in the south I believe.

Barry Farber was also broadcasting from home last time I heard him on the air. Anyone know if he's still broadcasting?

I don't know if its an everday thing or not, but Rush was wasting about 30 minutes of his show the other day telling about how the basement parking lot of his studio building got flooded due to the big storms they had in Florida and how they somehow couldnt get out. His shoes had to touch the water and he had to walk on the actual pedestrian sidewalk to be picked up by someone to get home.

His builder must have been on as much oxy as Rush to build a basement in Florida! :eek:

Just a few notes to all the above messages:

1) Mike Malloy does have a studio in his home. My engineer helped with the set up. Ofcourse, I don't know what he's doing with it now, since he is no longer on Air America. But he did all of his broadcasts out of Atlanta.

2) Royalties for bumpers: I got this direct from ASCAP/BMI from when I was running 1690 Air Atlanta. If you air 30 seconds or less of bumper music, there are no royalties due.

3) Ian has a great show! We would have aired it in Atlanta, if the station hadn't been sold.

To me, this is the best development in radio in a while... While consolidation has screwed a lot of things up,
letting on air talent work from home makes sense... why the "addiction" to old school "brick and mortar" studios when we have the technology to
work from home?
I used to work for a company where the CEO told me that "as long as I'm around, we'll always be a "paper" company," meaning that Powerpoint and other "digital" media would never be part of radio's future... even
protecting the stations URL!"
He's not there anymore.

Bob Valvano does The V Show weekend overnights on ESPN Radio from his house here in Louisville.

Jerry Doyle is now doing his show from affiliate KDWN in Las Vegas.

Back in the Chuck Harder/For the People days, quite a few of the weekend hosts did their shows from home, or at least not from Harder's facility in White Springs FL. Sometimes it was pretty obvious... the host who say something like "who's next" followed by a few seconds of dead air while the board op at the network told the host in his headset.

When Harder first moved to Talk America (was booted from For the People) he had somebody from Talk America in Boston as a "co-host" who handled putting the calls on the air. Later Harder went back to solo, but had the call screener in Boston come on the air to say who was next on the phone.

A few years ago, I heard Bruce Williams comment on how all it took to do the show from home was a unit the size of a cigar box and a sports headset mike. He was comparing to years ago in the Talknet days when he did his show from home after he was injured in a plane crash, and it took 2 or 3 engineers and a roomful of equipment.

How about Neil Rogers. He does his Miami-based talk show from Toronto. It still sounds local, and he gets solid ratings. And he freely admits to be broadcasting
from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in his apartment. Not only that but this guy is such a breath of fresh air for a far-leaning left-wing personality. He is not an apologist for anyone- George Bush, Michael Vick, OJ Simpson, or Sen. Craig.

Scott Ferrall used to do his show from his home from time to time when he was on Fox Sports Radio and has also done his show from there on Sirius..

Northwest Bobby said:
:eek:One reason why El Rushbo left New York was he could no longer smoke cigars in the EIB building.....so enough of that BS and went to the sunny and tax friendly state of Florida and build a seperate studio complex near his home...... :D

Are those Rode NT2 mics? What mic pre's do you use? Looks like Symetrix 528s.

I'm curious how you uplink the show from a home studio (eg. do your neighbors complain about the huge C-Band in the backyard :))

I'm trying to get a show syndicated as well (see signature), but have no idea where to start. The host does plenty of show prep daily and puts on a fantastic show, outside of that I do the technical work and attempt to promote it.

I feel his talents might be getting wasted a little since the total syndicated audience (two internet stations) consists of around 500-600 when its live, and 800-1000 during the "noon replay" the next day. Some extra exposure to the show would be great.

It is getting difficult to even get ISDN installed. It may be wise at this point to start looking into IP codecs.

I pay about 60 bucks a month, but I'm only taking incoming calls.

KJCB said:
Doing a show from home is stupid, just like homeschooling kids is stupid. Sure, it's feasible in theory, but sitting in some little room next to the kitchen usually with no interaction with producers, call screeners, other hosts for local shows, etc.

Homeschooling I agree with, Homemade radio shows are different....

A little room next to the kitchen...talk about PERFECTION! Yes, you even can smoke cigarettes on the air again if you like. Shoot-have an ice cold brewski too (just don't overdo THAT.)

As long as:

1. You don't have little kids (or even and sometimes ESPECIALLY teenagers "Whoa, dogg! I'm on the air! No, you can't test yer MC skills NOW! No...NO! DUDE! Like, GET LOST!...Anyway, about those Iraqi insurgents...DAMN! Don't even TELL me this thing was EVEN ON!..What, or, oh, hi, this is Talk Show America...")

2. Friends/fiends/neighbors/girlfriends/boyfriends hitting you up at the worst times.

3. Live in an apartment building full of crackheads or next door neighbors with loud stereos next to your walls or those that beat the crap out of each other every night.

Then broadcasting radio from home is smart, both for the host and the networks.

No messy HR details to conform to, you can work in your underwear-or less. You can save $$$ in gas. You can decorate your studio YOUR way, either flat out corporate professional, party palace, totally Spencer's/Hot Topic, absolutely chick, just "dude's place". Whatever.

There are some auto talk shows that originate from a garage-PERFECT place for it. Wherever gets your brain gears going, it's often a lot better than the vacuum of somebody else's studio. And when you're in your own space, you don't have leery freaks looking over your shoulder and directly breathing down your neck.

And did I mention? It's LOTS more fun too.....

One of my favorite parts is being able to come downstairs after a nap and have all of my settings right where I left them... flip the mics on and go!

FTL_Ian said:
One of my favorite parts is being able to come downstairs after a nap and have all of my settings right where I left them... flip the mics on and go!
Nice work if you can get it!

FTL_Ian said:
thats the life right there.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my home in Sarasota, FL. It has a professionally soundproofed studio and the rest of the house has been extensively remodeled. It is perfect for a radio person looking to work from home. Get details and pictures here: http://house.freetalklive.com 8)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom