• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Doing Talk Shows from Home

I heard one of the talkers say that most syndicated talkers do their shows from their homes. Any ideas who does and who doesnt.

A lot of hosts do their shows from studios nowhere near their station or network.

Rush Limbaugh was perhaps the first. After years of counting WABC/770 New York City as his "flagship" station, broadcasting from the ABC talker's studios, he moved to Florida and started broadcasting from West Palm Beach. He didn't make a big deal about it at first, and when word started getting out, he started saying "it doesn't matter where 'here' is." He now calls his Florida base "the Southern Command in Sunny South Florida".

I don't know if he's broadcasting from his mansion in West Palm, though. He may have a studio building he uses there.

Bob Brinker (ABC's Money Talk) is also somewhere in Florida, and I'm pretty sure he's in a home studio.

A number of weekend hosts on ABC's KGO/San Francisco broadcast from their homes, including Dr. Bill Wattenburg (in the Sierra Nevada mountains) and "Karel" (from his home in Long Beach, in Southern California). Weekend law talk host Len Tillem broadcasts from his Sonoma law offices.

...as I recall, Art Bell always did (and still does, even from the Philippines). When Chuck Harder was running his "People's Radio Network," at least two of the show hosts -- Harder himself and Jack Ellery -- broadcsat from their residences (although Harder's residence was an old hotel he supposedly was restoring). I want to say Mike Malloy did his show from his home in Atlanta for a while during his i.e. America network days, but I'm not quite positive of that. Tom Leykis has a backup studio in his home and has used it from time to time. In the old days, Henry Morgan did his WOR New York show from his home for a while, and in fact even Alan Freed had a studio constructed in his home from which he did many of his WINS and WABC New York rock 'n roll music shows. I even did my afternoon drive show from my home in 1986 when I worked for WIBU in Poynette, Wisconsin...

:eek:One reason why El Rushbo left New York was he could no longer smoke cigars in the EIB building.....so enough of that BS and went to the sunny and tax friendly state of Florida and build a seperate studio complex near his home...... :D

I'm pretty sure Mike Malloy does his AAR late night show from home. I'm sure he does it in Atlanta, at any rate, if not from his actual home studio.

I'm thinking Rush did the show from home until the hearing loss, then moved to a studio somewhere in WPB..apparently needing extra staff on board.

That makes sense.

I believe he broadcasts from his own studio in an office building in WPB or something. I know he's not at WJNO/CC WPB, for example.

Doing a show from home is stupid, just like homeschooling kids is stupid. Sure, it's feasible in theory, but sitting in some little room next to the kitchen usually with no interaction with producers, call screeners, other hosts for local shows, etc.

AFAIK, most of the TRN hosts do shows from home because the network is too cheap and fragmented to have real studios built. Heck, they're too cheap to get each show it's own phone number! Call Savage at 9pm ET and they'll give you a menu of which show you want to talk on... geez. But Tammy Bruce from LA (although she might be at KABC), Jerry Doyle from his home in Vegas, Rusty Humphries from somewhere in Orlando I believe (not, IIRC, from "flagship" WDBO), and Savage alternating between his home and the CC SF complex.

And sorry, Ian, but I'm pretty sure your show doesn't qualify as a major syndicated show.

KJCB said:
Doing a show from home is stupid, just like homeschooling kids is stupid. Sure, it's feasible in theory, but sitting in some little room next to the kitchen usually with no interaction with producers, call screeners, other hosts for local shows, etc.

Homeschooling kids is stupid? If you knew much about homeschooling, you'd know that homeschooled kids perform even better than privately schooled kids do.

And sorry, Ian, but I'm pretty sure your show doesn't qualify as a major syndicated show.

I don't know what you've got against me, but the first post just says syndicated, not "major". Give me a little time, okay? Limbaugh wasn't "major" right out of the box either. ::)

I can't tell you for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Michael Savage never sets foot in the CC SF building. I read a recent article that I believe said he has three studios, one in the City (not at CC), one at home in Marin County and one at a third location.

Rush is different in the "home" category, since he has a huge mansion and could surely build up a broadcast studio to industry specs within it. It's not like he'd be using the third spare bedroom or something.

But as I said, I'm pretty sure Rush is now using a custom studio in a WPB office building somewhere.

FTL_Ian said:
KJCB said:

Homeschooling kids is stupid? If you knew much about homeschooling, you'd know that homeschooled kids perform even better than privately schooled kids do.

I commend Ian for doing something cool. I wish I had the time and initiative to do a show from my home, and get it syndicated. Good for you! Don't listen to the haters, and keep up the good work. Just checked out yer site,and I will tune in!
I don't know what you've got against me, but the first post just says syndicated, not "major". Give me a little time, okay? Limbaugh wasn't "major" right out of the box either. ::)

I believe Art Bell has been doing his from home for sometime...

We do our shows from our home studio but we also have a full crew. We broadcast to our internet station and other AM.FM stations pick it up and broadcast it in there market.

Why have the overhead?

evnlee said:
I commend Ian for doing something cool. I wish I had the time and initiative to do a show from my home, and get it syndicated. Good for you! Don't listen to the haters, and keep up the good work. Just checked out yer site,and I will tune in!

Thanks! It's really great not having managers in charge of me or my show. The only person above me is the syndicate. I have 15 program directors, and I appreciate their suggestions, but they are not in control of me. My access to a studio is not dependant on the whims of a drunken GM.

I love it. ;D

FTL_Ian said:
evnlee said:

Thanks! It's really great not having managers in charge of me or my show. The only person above me is the syndicate. I have 15 program directors, and I appreciate their suggestions, but they are not in control of me. My access to a studio is not dependant on the whims of a drunken GM.

I love it. ;D

Now that you have built your own studio, and assembled the talent, how/where did you find the syndicators? Did they find the station affiliates, or did you guys have to do that yourself?

How much feedback do you get from your affiliate stations? How much compared to internet listeners? Do many people listen to the podcast?

What about phone calls~ do you have a dump button in your home studio? How much did it cost to set up the home studio?( ballpark )Do you stream live on your site or on affiliate sites? What about using music on your show? Do you have to pay royalties?

Advertising revenue? Sorry for the many questions, but I find this fascinating! Do you make any $$ doing this, or is it just a really cool hobby?

Again~congrats! I'm a little jealous myself, but I'm not gonna hate on you for it..Kudos!

evnlee said:
Now that you have built your own studio, and assembled the talent, how/where did you find the syndicators?
Called and asked if they were looking for programs. Sent a demo. Followed up.

Did they find the station affiliates, or did you guys have to do that yourself?
I've found most of them. They have an AR dept, but they have to sell the whole syndicate. I can focus on just Free Talk Live.

How much feedback do you get from your affiliate stations?
My PDs say they get positive response, I'm not sure how much.

How much compared to internet listeners? Do many people listen to the podcast?
Internet listeners are more likely to give me direct feedback while radio listeners are more likely to give feedback to the affiliate. Currently about 2,000 people download the podcast.

What about phone calls~ do you have a dump button in your home studio?
No, the syndicate may be installing one soon though.

How much did it cost to set up the home studio?( ballpark )
About $20k.

Do you stream live on your site or on affiliate sites?
Our site: http://listen.freetalklive.com
Some radio affiliates have streams. We also have several internet affiliates who stream the show at various times.

What about using music on your show? Do you have to pay royalties?
We use a minimal amount for bumpers, I presume the stations pay.

Advertising revenue? Sorry for the many questions, but I find this fascinating! Do you make any $$ doing this, or is it just a really cool hobby?
We've been doing the show nearly four years, and now we finally have a little money coming in. Not much, and I reinvest every penny. Like any business, the initial part is investment, eventually it will be profitable... one of these days.

Thanks for your interest!

"Homeschooling kids is stupid? If you knew much about homeschooling, you'd know that homeschooled kids perform even better than privately schooled kids do."
Yeah but they have no ability to talk to anyone and will be virgins at 32.

As to Savage, I've heard him complaining about one of the urban or rhythmic stations in CC's SF cluster and having to put up with their talent and the station being piped in in the bathroom.

And nothing against Ian, but these people who do shows to audiences consisting of sixteen people in Topeka and Battle Creek really don't bring much credibility to the discussion. God bless them for following their dreams, but I learned by age 15 that everyone wants to be a talent, but most of them shouldn't be.

KJCB said:
And nothing against Ian, but these people who do shows to audiences consisting of sixteen people in Topeka and Battle Creek really don't bring much credibility to the discussion. God bless them for following their dreams, but I learned by age 15 that everyone wants to be a talent, but most of them shouldn't be.

Wow, I thought I was cynical and jaded. ::)

I'm qualified to answer the question. Say what you want about credibility, but for some reason I don't expect Limbaugh to drop in to respond to the original post.

I kind of consider the Free Talk Live bunch the equivalents of Graham McNamee (early play by play announcer) and Douglas Edwards (early TV newscaster). Not the greatest talents, but they got into a new arena first, and did well for a time because of it. I suspect FTL will have a similar career arc. It's not as if talk radio isn't full of "libertarians" (which in talk radio lexicon means conservatives trying to pretend that they aren't Bush shills).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom