• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Diginet shuffle

There will be some shuffling amongst the diginets come January 1

WDLI 17 will switch from Court TV to Bounce (coming over from WUAB 43.2)
WVPX 23.2 will then pick up Court TV, replacing Grit (which will still be on WEWS 5.2, so that will end the double shot of Grit)
WUAB 43.2 will switch from Bounce to Circle (moving up a spot from 43.3)
And the aforementioned 43.3 will then carry Oxygen.

So now Bounce will join all the rest of the Scripps networks on the Scripps/Inyo NEO cluster (WEWS/WVPX/WDLI)

Not really a part of a shuffle, but Newsy - the Scripps owned news network airing here on WVPX 23.3 - will change it's name to Scripps News on 1/1/23.

IMO, that name has more gravitas than the cutesy-fartsy Newsy name.

Not really a part of a shuffle, but Newsy - the Scripps owned news network airing here on WVPX 23.3 - will change it's name to Scripps News on 1/1/23.

IMO, that name has more gravitas than the cutesy-fartsy Newsy name.
Newsy = Millennial like, therefore I never viewed it. (Sounds as bad as the "Cheddar" news channel that's seemed to fade away over the years).

Scripps News = More "Eyewitness News" like. I'm almost curious to see the type of news it delivers.

I wish someone would tell WOIO/WUAB/WTCL to stop repeating the digitals. I'm not sure if Oxygen is worth picking up or just a band-aid to heal the "Losing Bounce" wound. Circle (I had hoped to be more TNN like), became a disappointment over the past 18 months. Overall, I get an awful lot of "Picture freeze" on the WOIO spectrum...I think it may be connected to having so many channel s over the three main stations. (IIRC - They are all technically, "Channel 19's" )

The other "Big Change" I'd like to see is if WOCV would let us know it's plan's for 2023. If they do take MeTV from WOIO, I'd consider that somewhat of a major loss for WOIO. And -- Just maybe, some Weigel inspired local programming on WOCV???

Newsy = Millennial like, therefore I never viewed it. (Sounds as bad as the "Cheddar" news channel that's seemed to fade away over the years).

Scripps News = More "Eyewitness News" like. I'm almost curious to see the type of news it delivers.
I still think NewsNet is much better than Newsy. Unfortunately, it's limited to the Akron/Canton area on WIVM/N/X/D-LD.

I wish someone would tell WOIO/WUAB/WTCL to stop repeating the digitals.
Agreed. Hopefully the 19.1, 43.1 and Circle simulcasts on WTCL-LD will go away once WOIO signs on their new 30 kW broadcast. At least put a weather radar on it (not in Spanish) if anything, or pick up This TV, The Grio (similar to Bounce) or Retro TV.

I'm not sure if Oxygen is worth picking up or just a band-aid to heal the "Losing Bounce" wound. Circle (I had hoped to be more TNN like), became a disappointment over the past 18 months. Overall, I get an awful lot of "Picture freeze" on the WOIO spectrum...I think it may be connected to having so many channel s over the three main stations. (IIRC - They are all technically, "Channel 19's" )
The freezes on Circle is likely satellite feed related. It is also seen on WTCL-LD 6.2. This also affected Dabl on 19.3 several months ago, but they seemed to have addressed that. Brief picture stuttering and flickering is likely the result of bandwidth limitations during fast movements. I've been seeing this on MeTV as of late.

The other "Big Change" I'd like to see is if WOCV would let us know it's plan's for 2023. If they do take MeTV from WOIO, I'd consider that somewhat of a major loss for WOIO. And -- Just maybe, some Weigel inspired local programming on WOCV???
MeTV's contract with WOIO was just renewed in June, probably just days before Weigel recieved approval to buy channel 35. Unless they void it like they did with WBNX and Decades, the soonest MeTV could potentially leave WOIO would be November of 2025. Also, Start TV on WBNX was also renewed in November, so unlike Scripps, Weigel isn't completely interested in moving all their networks over to an O&O station to avoid paying 3rd party broadcasters for carriage. As for local programming, Job Hunt Cleveland airs Sundays at 8 AM to fulfill the public affairs requirement. However, it's just Skype video calls from their Chicago headquarters with people in the Cleveland area. Don't expect WOCV-LD to show anything else with a local focus, or turn .1 into a independent format with its own branding.

I thought Cheddar News was something you only saw on gas station TVs when filling up. Never saw it on any regular TV channel.
Cheddar was on one of WQDI's subchannels a while back. I never saw it because it was back when WQDI was blasting out a whopping .25 kW of power, so it never made it to my location, or anywhere for that matter. Cheddar mostly streams now, and is carried on several streaming platforms.

Cheddar was on one of WQDI's subchannels a while back. I never saw it because it was back when WQDI was blasting out a whopping .25 kW of power, so it never made it to my location, or anywhere for that matter. Cheddar mostly streams now, and is carried on several streaming platforms.
I think, it was WQDI's Charter station. If I recall correctly - They passed out a limited number of digital antennas at Dunkin Donuts to promote the concept. Cheddar (Apparently), and DTVAmerica (In the Cleveland market) became somewhat of a letdown, shortly thereafter.

I wonder if Me TV+ will eventually pop up in Cleveland area anytime soon?
I was told that it's unlikely, as Weigel only adds it to their O&O stations if MeTV isn't carried on a 3rd party broadcaster in the same market. (MeTV must be carried on a Weigel O&O station in order to carry MeTV+). If that wasn't the case, they probably would have added it to WOCV-CD by now.

WQHS 61.5 has now been deactivated.

It was carrying Dabl, the cooking/DIY oriented network that is also shown on WOIO 19.3 (where it still airs)

So this now eliminates a duplication.

On March 27, Scripps will merge their female targeted reality network TruReal with their male counterpart network Defy TV into one all purpose reality network under the Defy TV banner.

The shopping channel Jewelry TV will replace TruReal on the Scripps spectrum.

So WEWS 5.4 will switch from TruReal to JTV, while Defy will continue to air on WVPX 23.5.

So we're all clear what things will look like:

WEWS 5
.1 - ABC
.2 - Grit
.3 - Laff
.4 - Jewelry TV
.5 - HSN
.6 - QVC

WVPX 23
.1 - Ion
.2 - Court TV
.3 - Scripps News
.4 - Ion Mystery
.5 - Defy TV
.6 - QVC
.8 - HSN

(there is no 23.7)

Yes QVC and HSN are double dipped (cha-ching).

I'm hearing reports that WOHZ-CD is now being used as a WTCL-LD repeater in the Canton area. In addition, Circle on 6.2 has been replaced with MeTV.

I'm hearing reports that WOHZ-CD is now being used as a WTCL-LD repeater in the Canton area. In addition, Circle on 6.2 has been replaced with MeTV.
It honestly makes more sense to duplicate the WTCL mux with WOHZ than the WUAB-WOIO mux (which is already duplicated on the Akron, Ohio DRT).

Back
Top Bottom