• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Coverage of Queen Elizabeth funeral

I would think that the basic coverage was pooled, with BBC News, ITN (Independent Television News, which produces newscasts for Britain's commercial television networks including ITV) and Sky News (Britain's major cable news channel) all providing equipment and personnel for what was the most complex remote telecast (British TV broadcasters call it "outside broadcast" as it took place outside of the studios) since at least the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, if not the entire history of British television.

It was on BBC America. Surprised it was on both Telemundo and Univision considering the situation in both Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
Since less than a couple of percent of Telemundo and Univision's audience is Puerto Rican (most of the Puerto Rican migration to the Northeast ended around 1970) and there are relatively few Dominicans, most of the news will be related to the needs of Mexicans and Central Americans.

Dominicans are also a relatively small group, with the majority in just a few northeastern cities and few in any of the other markets.

Obviously, the affiliate stations in markets with more Puerto Ricans who speak Spanish (Orlando and Atlanta) or Dominicans (New York and a few in Philly, Boston, Hartford, etc) can cover the hurricane in their local news coverage.

Gayle King wouldn't stop yapping and cutting to commercials on CBS. JEERS TO 'CBS MORNINGS'
NBC was the better of the 'big 3' networks.
PBS was top-notch altogether. Great shots, showing the somber mood of Windsor Castle and the procession.
My FOX affiliate stayed with their Spokane-fed morning show, albeit other Fox stations did go to an FNC simulcast.

Gayle King wouldn't stop yapping and cutting to commercials on CBS. JEERS TO 'CBS MORNINGS'
This is one of the reasons that, for larger political events in the USA like State of the Union speeches and Presidential inaugurations, I often watch C-SPAN. Most all the networks and carriers get the same video feed for events like that; the difference is that networks like C-SPAN offer minimal commentary without a bunch of useless banter and talking heads trying to prove how smart they are and how much they know. They also don't take cheap shots toward one political party or the other or put a "slant" on the events. In the case of historical events like the inauguration, it's sometimes refreshing when they simply offer the necessary details like identifying the people we're seeing or in the case of the SOTU speech, give a bit of information about the decorum and procedures, but then they stop yapping and are happy to allow the video to roll and allow viewers to simply take in the moment.

I happened to tune into the funeral on my local PBS channel just as the re-broadcast started at 1:00 PM local time. Thought I'd watch it for a little while and then move on to other activities, but I got pulled in by the historic magnitude of the event. Among my observations were:
• I appreciated that there wasn’t constant nattering by the commentators. (I think PBS was using the BBC commentary.) Long periods of nothing but ambient sound were perfectly appropriate.
• The quality of the video was fantastic. The sheer number of cameras involved was mind-boggling.
• The technical production was flawless as far as I could tell. I saw no hiccups or glitches at all in the audio or video during the entire telecast. Clearly this was well planned out and rehearsed long in advance. The hard work paid off.

Very impressive indeed.

This is one of the reasons that, for larger political events in the USA like State of the Union speeches and Presidential inaugurations, I often watch C-SPAN. Most all the networks and carriers get the same video feed for events like that; the difference is that networks like C-SPAN offer minimal commentary without a bunch of useless banter and talking heads trying to prove how smart they are and how much they know. They also don't take cheap shots toward one political party or the other or put a "slant" on the events. In the case of historical events like the inauguration, it's sometimes refreshing when they simply offer the necessary details like identifying the people we're seeing or in the case of the SOTU speech, give a bit of information about the decorum and procedures, but then they stop yapping and are happy to allow the video to roll and allow viewers to simply take in the moment.
The networks used to do that. And then came the "no-attention-span", addicted-to-TikTok, current generation. So, they always have to yip yap chit chat during somber OR celebratory events.

At least the new King decided on a Saturday Coronation so that those who don't live in the British Commonwealth (like here in the United States) can watch it on TV without having to miss school or (in most cases) work.

In Britain and the British Commonwealth, Coronation Day would be a legal holiday anyhow.

Also, this would allow for a proper period of time to pass between Queen Elizabeth it's death and the coronation of King Charles III.

He's already king. There's no reason for an elaborate ceremony to be held eight long months later other than the first reason TheBigA gave: Arrangements for something this big take time and the world leaders who'll be attending need to rearrange their schedules. Weather is a secondary factor, if it is a factor at all. The ceremony takes place indoors and winter weather in London is generally comparable to late fall weather in most of the U.S. Crippling blizzards with 3 feet of snow just don't happen there. Premier League soccer matches are held there right through the winter, in outdoor stadiums, with tens of thousands of people in attendance.for each one. Londoners survived the Blitz. Standing in spitting rain and 45-degree temperatures for a while to watch Charles and Camilla go by in a carriage isn't going to kill them.

I watched the BBC coverage from 2 AM PST until end... about 9 hours total. I have to say that this was the best television, both in terms of production and the narrative, that I have ever seen.
Totally agree. I was blown-away by the production quality at all levels. Lighting, camera angles, camera locations, directing, scripts, packages, everything was absolutely top drawer.
They did some of the most marvelous and dramatic photography, and the content was magnificent. They even got cameos of two of the Queen's corgi's and her most recent favorite horse.
They had a lot of camera positions, that's for sure.

“There is no reason for an elaborate ceremony” said CTListener.

You do realize we are talking about Great Britain. They love that stuff, always have.
I meant there was no reason for it to be held so long after his becoming king. I didn't think my original complete sentence was ambiguous, but I guess it was, at least to one person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom