• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could Sinclair or Tribune be forced to sell in Seattle?

Interestingly enough, KCPQ just added Stadium and KZJO just added TBD, duplicating what KUNS has. I assume Stadium, ThisTV, and Escape will disappear and be replaced with what the other FOX O&O's offer (Usually Buzzr! and Light TV).

Here's what I see happening:

- Morning news rebranded "Good Day Seattle" 4:30-7 anchored by Alexandra Lewis and Brian Flores 7-10 anchored by Liz Dueweke and Bill Wixey.

- 9 PM dropped and possibly 4 PM don't believe any of the current Fox O&Os have a 4 PM or 9 PM newscast.

- 6 PM newscast added (likely 30 minutes)

- weeknight anchors on a M-F schedule weekend anchors Sat & Sun.

- Morning news rebranded "Good Day Seattle" 4:30-7 anchored by Alexandra Lewis and Brian Flores 7-10 anchored by Liz Dueweke and Bill Wixey.

- 9 PM dropped and possibly 4 PM don't believe any of the current Fox O&Os have a 4 PM or 9 PM newscast.

Probably get their own news chopper, "SkyFOX" or "SkyQ".

KTVU has 4pm and WTVT and KSAZ will soon add 4pm news themselves. The morning news may go to 4am since KDFW just joined it and I think if they do 6pm, it would be an hour, just like 4 and 5pm.

KCPQ set makeover is relatively new (February 2016)...so we shall see what happens there. Graphics were updated I believe in 2017. I would be surprised if they drop 4pm, but doubt they would add 6pm. Will be interesting to watch this changeover in the next year.

Saw something on Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt) that Sinclair is taking KZJO, and instead has divested KUNS but just having an agreement with it. Bye bye 9pm newscast. (Unless KOMO starts one up in that slot + add a 10pm).

What is your basis for your predictions?

Just what other Fox O&O's are doing? Seems pretty weak; those other Fox O&Os have been so for many years and have established their lineups. KCPQ has been doing it own thing and has a somewhat different look and feel than other Tribune stations. I haven't seen the ratings in a while, but they've been reasonably successful doing what they do, in this market.

For instance, the "Q13 This Morning" branding is nearly 20 years old at this point. Do you dump that just to match with what other Fox O&Os are doing? Why do you believe that Dueweke and Wixey would have their shifts reduced? They're ratings winners, and had their hours expanded to keep the stars on camera.

What about dropping the 4PM newscast? You say the other Fox O&Os don't have one. But does that matter? How is Q13's 4PM doing in the ratings. How does that compare to the revenue opportunities of the next best alternative (syndicated talk shows) to air at 4PM?

Weeknight anchors on a M-F schedule... The evening anchors work Sunday-Thursday because historically, Q13 wanted its best anchors working Sunday night, to push the news brand after a strong Fox Sunday night schedule (remember the X-Files) where the strength of the lead-ins would push viewership higher. As an O&O, isn't this logic even more important now than it was under Tribune?

What is your basis for your predictions?

Just what other Fox O&O's are doing? Seems pretty weak; those other Fox O&Os have been so for many years and have established their lineups. KCPQ has been doing it own thing and has a somewhat different look and feel than other Tribune stations. I haven't seen the ratings in a while, but they've been reasonably successful doing what they do, in this market.

For instance, the "Q13 This Morning" branding is nearly 20 years old at this point. Do you dump that just to match with what other Fox O&Os are doing? Why do you believe that Dueweke and Wixey would have their shifts reduced? They're ratings winners, and had their hours expanded to keep the stars on camera.

What about dropping the 4PM newscast? You say the other Fox O&Os don't have one. But does that matter? How is Q13's 4PM doing in the ratings. How does that compare to the revenue opportunities of the next best alternative (syndicated talk shows) to air at 4PM?

Weeknight anchors on a M-F schedule... The evening anchors work Sunday-Thursday because historically, Q13 wanted its best anchors working Sunday night, to push the news brand after a strong Fox Sunday night schedule (remember the X-Files) where the strength of the lead-ins would push viewership higher. As an O&O, isn't this logic even more important now than it was under Tribune?

Once Fox has full control over KCPQ I guarantee you changes will happen. You may not like them or agree with them but anything from Tribune or past ownership will go out the window. Take KTTV in LA for example they have what 3? Sets of anchors for a 6 hour or whatever is morning show...one set 4:30-5 another 5-7 and finally 7-10. I chose my schedule based on Fox 5 in NY. One set for 4:30-7 and another for 7-10. I gave the weeknight anchors a M-F schedule as it matches other Fox owned station.

KCPQ I think already had 3 for the morning, with Bill, Liz, and until she left for paternity reasons, Kaci.

As for the voiceover guy...They'll need to use another one because KIRO I believe already uses the same voiceover as KTTV...

Once Fox has full control over KCPQ I guarantee you changes will happen. You may not like them or agree with them but anything from Tribune or past ownership will go out the window. Take KTTV in LA for example they have what 3? Sets of anchors for a 6 hour or whatever is morning show...one set 4:30-5 another 5-7 and finally 7-10. I chose my schedule based on Fox 5 in NY. One set for 4:30-7 and another for 7-10. I gave the weeknight anchors a M-F schedule as it matches other Fox owned station.

I never said there wouldn't be changes.

What I did, however, was question your statement above about what the changes would be.

When Sinclair bought KOMO, and Gannett bought KING, in short order, there was all kinds of speculation about what the new owners were going to do.

Not one person saw Gannett/TEGNA absolutely gutting KING, while Sinclair, known for managing their stations with a heavy hand from corporate, has pretty much (other than non-renewing high salaried Dan Lewis) left things alone.

You say ... "anything from Tribune... will go out the window."

That's quite the statement.

KCPQ's news department has carved out a fairly successful niche in the market, with hours and hours of local news coverage. Q13 This Morning is a real competitor, and has some real (unique) star power helming the broadcast.

Why would Fox come in and throw it all "out the window" as you put it?

Doing so would only make sense if they feel they can do a better job, to make more money, with a new look, new brand, and new talent, versus continuing on with what they have.

TEGNA made the decision to basically start over at KING. How is that working out for them?

Not one person saw Gannett/TEGNA absolutely gutting KING

Really? I watched Gannett do it here in Phoenix years before their KING purchase. And I think I said it at the time. Virtually all of the long-time newscasters/reporters were gone in Phoenix (except for 1). KING actually has kept a few of their longtime reporters.

That said, your point is well taken. We don't know exactly what Fox will do with Q13. Inevitably, it will look more like a Fox O&O over time. The Fox affiliation will likely be emphasized more than it is now. I have no idea how/if they will revamp the anchor lineup on the morning show. Q13 already has a healthy amount of news, so I don't see wholesale major additions or subtractions on the news side. I would expect them to move the weekend morning newscast to Q13.

Sinclair is getting KZJO.

KUNS will be sold to Howard Stirk (Armstrong Williams) but run by Sinclair.

Saw something on Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt) that Sinclair is taking KZJO, and instead has divested KUNS but just having an agreement with it. Bye bye 9pm newscast. (Unless KOMO starts one up in that slot + add a 10pm).

Don't forget KTVU managed to keep some of their Anchors from the Cox ownership era once Fox Took over KTVU Fox 2 San Francisco. I know Frank Sommerville, Dave Clark, Julie Haener, Sal Casteneda, Mark Ibanez, and Bill Martin are some of the people that managed to stay with KTVU Fox 2 News 3 years after the ownership change. But during the three years that Fox took over KTVU they started a 4AM News and a 4PM Local Newscast plus they renamed KICU-TV the Secondary Fox affiliate in the Bay Area as KTVU Plus.

I don't think any of us have any idea what changes may be ahead for KCPQ, unless we are insiders, and I am not.

However, with my management history in my back pocket, I will expect that the Fox Network will look at what is working at KCPQ, and what may be not. Then make sensible decisions.

Does Matt Lorch even anchor the 4 & 5 PM news anymore? I haven't seen him anchoring in a while it always seems to be Brian Flores lately unless I'm missing something.

No, KIRO's voiceover is different. Scott Chapin hasn't done voiceover work for KIRO in many years, at least 10. He was the opening voiceover for their newscasts once KIRO got CBS back in 1997. Brian Lee has been the opening V/O for about 3-4 years now, the same one who opens up newscasts on the CBS O&Os. 7 was also using Chris Corley for V/O before Brian Lee, he does a lot of movie trailers and Fox promos.

No, KIRO's voiceover is different. Scott Chapin hasn't done voiceover work for KIRO in many years, at least 10. He was the opening voiceover for their newscasts once KIRO got CBS back in 1997. Brian Lee has been the opening V/O for about 3-4 years now, the same one who opens up newscasts on the CBS O&Os. 7 was also using Chris Corley for V/O before Brian Lee, he does a lot of movie trailers and Fox promos.

Ah OK. They all closely sound the same to me. So I bet KCPQ would be getting Scott Chapin then once FOX takes over.

I found this about Mr. Chapin. He also does the voiceover for WSVN in Miami (FOX station, but not an O&O):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au9D7aUe9AQ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom