• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could Sinclair or Tribune be forced to sell in Seattle?

Or 'Q13 Plus+' like they did with KICU San Francisco and WFTC Minneapolis. 'KTVU Plus' and 'Fox-9 Plus'.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sinclair-inches-closer-merger-tribune-1078794

Here is an update on the Sinclair Tribune deal

The merger agreement came in the wake of the FCC's relaxed ownership rules.

The U.S. Department of Justice is very close to blessing the merger of Sinclair Broadcast Group and Tribune Media as regulators appear to be satisfied with a plan that would have the pair divest of some of their TV stations.

The $3.9 billion deal, once blessed by the DOJ, would still need the FCC's approval.

Broadcasting & Cable reported Friday that the OK from the DOJ could come today or next week, citing insiders familiar with the negotiations.

The merger agreement came in the wake of the FCC's relaxed media ownership rules, though combining Sinclair's 193 TV stations with Tribune's 42 was still too much to stomach for some regulators, hence some stations will be sold.

Insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that 21st Century Fox is negotiating for roughly 10 stations, but that won't likely persuade detractors from objecting to the deal.

Some who oppose the merger — Media Matters for America, for example — do so on political grounds, given Sinclair management and much of its programming lean conservative, so detractors object to it growing larger through acquisition.

You are just stirring the pot. That tvspy article says KCPQ is wanted by Fox. KOMO/KUNS are going to remain Sinclair. What happens to Joe TV remains to be seen.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/sinclai...to-companys-political-action-committee/200489

Here is an update over Sinclair and its political practices.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is asking its managers, including news directors, to considering contributing to the company’s Political Action Committee, a solicitation that violates journalistic norms, ethicists say.

“Please take the time to evaluate the importance that the Sinclair PAC can have towards benefiting our company and the needs of the industry as a whole,” reads an employee solicitation letter obtained by The Washington Post.

Sinclair’s senior vice president of strategy and policy Rebecca Hanson, told The Post there’s was nothing compromising about the request. The news directors “were solicited as a result of being part of our managerial level, not because of their role in editorial,” she said. “Participation is completely voluntary. There is no corporate pressure to participate and no consequence for not participating. It doesn’t put them in any ethical bind whatsoever.”

Journalism ethicists disagree, however. The policy “violates every standard of conduct that has existed in newsrooms for the past 40 or 50 years,” said Lewis Friedland, a journalism professor at the University of Wisconsin and a former TV news producer. “I’ve never seen anything like this. They certainly have the right to do it, but it’s blatantly unethical.”

This could hurt KOMO, or not. Some savvy viewers will see this and tune out. Most won't give a flying leap. The bigger question is how the ownership situation settles out.

Already tons and tons of complaints on KOMO's Facebook page. Over here, Jake Taylor was forced to say the same script at KIMA. At least NBC Right Now's Glenn Cassie & Tracci Dial care about local news even if some of the news comes from Tri-Cities...and they'll never be forced to say a script from a mass conglomerate. (I don't even touch KVEW due to their awful 'green screen' set and cheap quality overall.)

Already tons and tons of complaints on KOMO's Facebook page. Over here, Jake Taylor was forced to say the same script at KIMA. At least NBC Right Now's Glenn Cassie & Tracci Dial care about local news even if some of the news comes from Tri-Cities...and they'll never be forced to say a script from a mass conglomerate. (I don't even touch KVEW due to their awful 'green screen' set and cheap quality overall.)

Though this has gotten away from the Seattle thread, I agree on one major point. Anchors in smaller markets are generally being paid minimal wages and follow corporate directions to keep their jobs. Perhaps this even includes bigger Sinclair markets. Unfortunate. I hope Sinclair divests its NW holdings, but I doubt that will happen. Though I don't know why they think their political stance is popular in the PNW.

I don't think Sinclair will ever leave the NW unless they are forced out by some other company. Remember, not all of the northwest is blue-blooded Democrat. Sinclair tends to own stations in swing areas or Republican-majority cities...and this does NOT include KOMO, KATU or WJLA. Yakima County has not voted in a Democrat since LBJ in 1964; same with Benton County where KEPR is based. That's one reason why they want Boris and Mark Hyman on their newscasts. Not to make anyone mad, but local, over-the-air news should not have any slanted commentary whatsoever. Just report the NEWS...what's going on in my local community, nearby cities, and around the Northwest. Leave the talking points, whether liberal or conservative, to cable news.
And I notice Kristine Frazao and Scott Thuman are only titled as 'national correspondents' on KIMA's newscast. I guess corporate doesn't allow stations to say 'Sinclair correspondent' or such?

This could hurt KOMO, or not. Some savvy viewers will see this and tune out. Most won't give a flying leap. The bigger question is how the ownership situation settles out.

If one group really wanted to boycott Sinclair Television they would have to end their cable subscription and their app tv subscription from YoutubeTV, HuluTV, and Playstation vue to make that have an impact. I heard stuff that local TV stations make more money from retransmission fees than advertising.

But then again its a "Its easy for me to do this because my area does not have a Sinclair station and I have easy access to Public Media, Alternative media and can easily have a local news startup situation in my backyard"

But If you live in a Sinclair or Tribune market like Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego and Sacramento you could easily cut your cable subscription and donate to public media and Alternative media very easily. However in the case of smaller markets where Sinclair has stations like KIMA as mentioned here I am not so sure about that.

Last edited:
Radiopatrol, so few people are going to do that (despite being vocal online) that it won't make a blip. The goal hasn't even been articulated. "Stop doing those promos!" "OK, we stopped".

I hope Fox will let them keep the Q13 branding. 'Fox 13 News' sounds so bland.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom