• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music

My family kept our Christmas lights up all year and no one ever hassled us about it.
Were they on or off? :)

I was friends with a family that kept their Christmas tree up year round and covered in a corner of their house to make it easier to set up. There are also people who keep a tree up year round with decorations for other holidays in the year, like Valentine's Day, Easter, July 4th, etc.

I was friends with a family that kept their Christmas tree up year round and covered in a corner of their house to make it easier to set up. There are also people who keep a tree up year round with decorations for other holidays in the year, like Valentine's Day, Easter, July 4th, etc.
I hope this is still on topic. First, many people who observe the Christian feast day of Epiphany on Jan 6, when Jesus was baptized and the 3 kings came to visit, will keep their decorations up until that time.
But traditionally in California, radio stations will stop playing Christmas music at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 26, when they return to regular programing. That includes songs that reference winter only, such as Frosty the Snowman, Winter Wonderland, etc.

For Christmas decorations: Some homeowners' associations require that decorations be taken down by January 2. But they also have to make exceptions for unusually cold or icy weather. I cannot imagine trying to walk around on an icy or wet roof in freezing temps to get decorations down.

What I did with the Christmas lights: I took down the multi-colored outdoor strings of lights by Jan. 2. But I kept up the clear white mini-lights I had on the outdoor shrubs, which were along a portion of our street which is really dark. It gets dark so early in the evening and gets light so late in the morning, that people who have to walk their dogs on that street have a hard time seeing the sidewalk. There are also nocturnal creatures like coyotes and raccoons, which can be aggressive and are better off avoided.
So I turn those clear lights on each day at early dusk and keep them on all night. The neighbors have told me how nice and cheerful they look in the drizzle and fog. ( We get Tule ground fog from the San Joaquin Valley and Sacramento Valley). Then 3 of our other neighbors put up clear mini-lights of their own. So far, the HOA has not said anything about it.
( I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but at least it is about events in January - Daryl)

If anyone really, REALLY still needs a Christmas music fix, Music Choice's "Sounds of the Seasons" channel which is available on Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, DirecTV, etc. will still be playing Christmas music through February 1, when they'll switch to Valentines Day-themed music.

I switched on that channel today while working, as I sometimes enjoy listening to "The Pulse" that they usually play between the various holidays throughout the year and was a bit shocked to hear Burle Ives belting out "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas". Needless to say I grabbed the remote immediately to change it. No one loves Christmas and all it brings more than me, but when it's over for the year, I'm done until next Thanksgiving.

@AbrahamJSimpson if you keep your lights on until the SuperBowl, at least if you have a party, your friends/relatives will be able to find your house! :)

Last edited:
I'm curious as to the percentage of light-removal laggards who actually think about Epiphany and intentionally delay until that date has passed vs. those who simply dread taking the decorations down every year and put it off as long as possible -- either until the next good weather day or until the spouse's nagging gets to be too much. My money is on the latter.

Last edited:
My son married into an Irish Catholic family. They take down their yard decorations on Jan 1. But they keep their tree up indoors until Epiphany, in order to honor the 3 kings. That’s what they told me.
I agree with you that the main reason for keeping decorations up is that it’s a lot of work to put it all away, especially when much of the USA, Canada, and Northern Europe are under severe winter weather. So yes, the lack of motivation is probably more of a factor than religion.

Sorry for veering completely off the subject of radio and TV broadcasting, but we have a slightly different take regarding our lights and decorations: We normally don't put up our stuff until about December 10'ish. Then the madness of the holiday season starts - sending cards, buying gifts, attending work-related parties and meeting up with friends, planning travel, working OT so everything is caught up before Christmas, wrapping and shipping stuff, the list goes on... So really, the first time I get to just put my feet up and enjoy it all, to listen to some Christmas music and enjoy the decorations around the house with a nice glass of wine, usually doesn't happen until the actual holiday and NYE have passed. Yes, I usually keep it lit until Epiphany, but beyond that, we like to keep it all going for a week or two after Christmas, after the hustle and bustle is over, when we can actually sit and relax and enjoy it all. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

I have another option: leave the tree naked. I know that Hamilton Park’s tree is left naked on the other times of the year.

There are still plenty Christmas movies on the typical channels for them, especially on streaming. I usually go through a wind down period in January and February of not seeing or hearing much Christmas related items, but during the rest of the year if I run into Christmas music I wand I'll get it and take a quick listen, but then hold it until the Christmas season.

Back
Top Bottom