• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music/Format Change Watch 2022

It doesn't matter if it's specifically Christmas music since some people of other faiths like Orthodox celebrate at a later time which is Jan, 7th 2023.
However, Orthodox Christmas (Jan. 7) is a completely religious holiday, with a different set of songs from those that are used in Western Christian churches.

However, Orthodox Christmas (Jan. 7) is a completely religious holiday, with a different set of songs from those that are used in Western Christian churches.
The holiday season which is related to the Christmas music beginning around Thanksgiving is secular to some individuals even though many celebrate it as a religious holiday/season. Orthodox believers just have a later date. I assume they listen to holiday/Christmas tunes just like anyone else but they won't hear it on the radio since most stations cut it off after Dec. 25th except WKHR and I think also The Fish still has some. Music used at church services is not part of what I am talking about.

Music used at church services is not part of what I am talking about.
I was refering to carols about the Christ Child such as "O Come, All Ye Faithful" and "Hark! The Herald Angles Sing." They are sung regularly at Christmas worship services within Western Christianity. I guess some of the Orthodox Christians do enjoy those carols despite never hearing them in their own churches.

While there are plenty of winter themed holiday tunes as mentioned above, any station that continues on with Christmas music after 12:01am on 12/26 sees a plummet in listeners and it's a huge tune out factor. Whether it's still the season or not, nearly all Christmas format P1s would rather hear holiday tunes the morning after Halloween rather than December 26.

While there are plenty of winter themed holiday tunes as mentioned above, any station that continues on with Christmas music after 12:01am on 12/26 sees a plummet in listeners and it's a huge tune out factor. Whether it's still the season or not, nearly all Christmas format P1s would rather hear holiday tunes the morning after Halloween rather than December 26.
That's because it all starts too early for some although that's in line with the general secularization of the holiday which is all about making money.

I see Star 102 is still identifying as "Cleveland's Christmas Music station" on its HD display.

EDIT: It's gone now after posting ten minutes ago!

Last edited:
Until you see how much they bill. Flipping in early November gives them two months worth of soaring ratings. Why would you not take advantage of a money maker?
Two months of ratings success? Not so. Going any sooner than around the week/weekend before Thanksgiving will not garner you ratings...at least in a diary market.

Two months of ratings success? Not so. Going any sooner than around the week/weekend before Thanksgiving will not garner you ratings...at least in a diary market.
Tell that to the countless stations that flip in the first two weeks of November.

There's a reason so many stations flip between Nov 1-15 and why hardly anyone that knows what they're doing dares play a Christmas song at 12:01am Dec 26.

...hardly anyone that knows what they're doing dares play a Christmas song at 12:01am Dec 26.

I thought the stations were on auto-pilot until the morning DJs come back at 6am on the 26th to flip the switch back to regular music. I wouldn't expect anyone to flip back until Tuesday morning, unless something gets automatically programmed to switch playlists back to normal right after the last song stops on Christmas.

Heck, I can remember some stations flipping right back to their regular playlists as soon as noon came around. It was like "OK, you've opened your F'n gifts, turned on the TV to watch football/basketball games and don't even know we exist anymore till all that crap is done playing."

>>>I thought the stations were on auto-pilot until the morning DJs come back at 6am on the 26th to flip the switch back to regular music. I wouldn't expect anyone to flip back until Tuesday morning.<<<

This may have been true many years ago, when automation systems were not so sophisticated. But these days, you can program it to go back to the regular playlist at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 26th, or whenever you want. Or what many stations do for the days just after Christmas to play one winter song every hour or two. That's what WLTW NYC does.

I thought the stations were on auto-pilot until the morning DJs come back at 6am on the 26th to flip the switch back to regular music. I wouldn't expect anyone to flip back until Tuesday morning, unless something gets automatically programmed to switch playlists back to normal right after the last song stops on Christmas.
There's not actually a switch. The 12am music log for December 26 is simply not programmed with Christmas music.

Back
Top Bottom