• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music/Format Change Watch 2022

A shame we have lost our sense of humor.
Looks like it. LiveOne, the service formerly known as Slacker Radio, used to have a station of Christmas song parodies and weird holiday music called "Dysfunctional Christmas"; however, that station was removed several years ago. Also, of the 20 Christmas-themed holiday channels that SiriusXM offers, none of them is dedicated to song parodies and weird music.

Also, of the 20 Christmas-themed holiday channels that SiriusXM offers, none of them is dedicated to song parodies and weird music.
No one really plays those novelty songs anymore, which is such a shame. If I listen to a iHeart station long enough, I may eventually hear Snoopy's Christmas, or the Porky Pig version of Blue Christmas, but that's about it.

Also missing from the playlist are a lot of original Christmas songs as well. The common ones tend to stay on the playlist year after year, but there are so many good ones are missing from back in the day.

No one really plays those novelty songs anymore, which is such a shame. If I listen to a iHeart station long enough, I may eventually hear Snoopy's Christmas, or the Porky Pig version of Blue Christmas, but that's about it.

Also missing from the playlist are a lot of original Christmas songs as well. The common ones tend to stay on the playlist year after year, but there are so many good ones are missing from back in the day.
Arggggh. So much to think here as I've basically remained fuming throughout this thread (Spectator up to now, so too much catching up to really think anyone cares.)

The basics:
1) It's kind of a shame what radio has come to, that stations can afford flipping formats without thinking they'd alienate most of their audience (Which primarily, I think, is sort of a "Ghost Group" who likes background noise and still owns a radio, and preset it to a onetime favorable station.) I try to imagine WMMS in the original "Buzzard Morning Zoo" era or WHK in the "Gary Dee (Heaven help us, and yes...I'm showing my age)/Country music" era. Flipping formats and NOT thinking listeners wouldn't "flip them back".

2) WMJI need not worry about losing me as a listener (After 25 years) as they did when the let Action Jackson and Casey Kasem's 1970's/80's Top 40's go.

3) True...You notice few novelty songs and less of the older (Religious undertone) songs being played. Mostly, these pop artists who are probably hot and heavy on IHeart and other playlists anyway.

4) I like Christmas and everything...But 24/7 of it's music on one Station??? Not necessary, other than due to the corporate owned stations having nothing better to do, than pretend such a tradition is welcome.

5) In the early 1990's. I recall WDOK (Then, locally owned) playing a Sunday evening block of Christmas Music and encouraging recording it on tape if you wanted to hear it more often. That, made the most sense.

6) Currently, I miss radio but doubt I'll return (Probably to WHLK) until after New Year. It's difficult when even local stations have disc jockeys who can't relate to the current goings on outside our "Cleveland area windows".

8 Tracks perhaps?:)
Nope! Cassettes. The damn thing didn't have an input jack so basically just placed the mic in front of a speaker. Pissed off my brother when I told him to shut the hell up while I was "recording". Still the tunes sound better than the crap played today. NEVER liked 8-tracks, that "clunk" when it switched to another track annoyed the hell out of me, the way a song was faded out and then faded back up when it switched tracks pissed me off to no end. Still have a huge box of them sitting in my shed, someone gave them to me.

Last edited:
I taped a lot of stuff onto cassettes years ago before I had a CD burner. I still listen to many of them and will continue to do so until my cassette deck bites the dust. I doubt anyone sell cassettes decks anymore.

Nope! Cassettes. The damn thing didn't have an input jack so basically just placed the mic in front of a speaker. Pissed off my brother when I told him to shut the hell up while I was "recording".
"The era of suffrage" :cool:

We later worked our way up to "Built in microphones" which picked up not nearly as well as the corded ones.

Didn't you try the "Taping -- Do not disturb" sign? Odds are no, as in most cases that's an open invitation for people to make as much noise in the household as possible. We always looked forward to the "G-98 New Years Eve Countdown" of whatever year. To make our "Greatest Hits" tapes for the winter. Wish I still had them. My last recollection of that was 1976 -- The Bay City Rollers last high(er) charted hit, I think. With rock music, I was always the "M-105" person of the household, anyways.

I taped a lot of stuff onto cassettes years ago before I had a CD burner. I still listen to many of them and will continue to do so until my cassette deck bites the dust. I doubt anyone sell cassettes decks anymore.
You see some old decks at garage sales and resale stores such as Goodwill, Savers etc. But being as old as they are, they may not work correctly but you never know. They're usually cheap enough although there is some cassette nostalgia starting up similar to records so prices may go up.

Same here, but since my stock of blank tapes (both cassette & VHS) were very limited at the time, I often reused them. I really wished that I didn't, and I do regret that at times, especially when I find the existing portion of the original recording that didn't get taped over.

With modern computers and access to much larger hard drives, I eventually ended up direct feeding my radio into the computer and capturing radio that way. However, it's been ages since I last did this as there's really nothing worth recording off the radio anymore.

I think they do. Try the Wal-Mart electronics section (It's the old "mono"/portable one which is great if your lousy at guitar like I am).
There are some tape decks being sold online, some of which have a built-in analog-to-digital circuit which allows for transferring tapes via USB. However, these decks are usually just good enough for acceptable results. It would be better to get a hold of a working tape deck from the 80's/early 90's and connect its output to the computer's line in, especially if archiving in the best possible quality is a must.

You see some old decks at garage sales and resale stores such as Goodwill, Savers etc. But being as old as they are, they may not work correctly but you never know.
Garage sales, maybe. Goodwill, forget about it! I haven't seen a good tape deck pop up at Goodwill in years, and when one does, it's either beat up and broken with a high price tag or a cheap budget unit that was sold back in the day. Side note: Goodwill continues to sell DVD and Blu-Ray players with no remotes, making the unit practically useless you can obtain a replacement remote, or a universal remote that mostly works, which can be another 10-20 dollars.

Belts are usually the cause of inoperable tape decks. Some are easy to replace, others require a bit of disassembly. Other issues can include dirty heads, broken plastic gears, bad capstans, and oxidized contacts.

My grandpa bought me a cassette tape player back in the late 60s [67/68 maybe] as a birthday or Christmas gift, can't remember. I just started going through my cassette tapes and found one from 1969, still sounded pretty good.

I probably have a couple hundred cassettes that I recorded over the years, a few go back to the early 80s. They still sound good. Some of them were recorded from vinyl, but most were from CDs. I also have a lot of pre-recorded cassettes that I bought. I am currently in the process of making CDs of the ones I still like to listen to. I won't be able to redo all of them because the material is no longer available.

Last edited:
Garage sales, maybe. Goodwill, forget about it! I haven't seen a good tape deck pop up at Goodwill in years, and when one does, it's either beat up and broken with a high price tag or a cheap budget unit that was sold back in the day. Side note: Goodwill continues to sell DVD and Blu-Ray players with no remotes, making the unit practically useless you can obtain a replacement remote, or a universal remote that mostly works, which can be another 10-20 dollars.

Belts are usually the cause of inoperable tape decks. Some are easy to replace, others require a bit of disassembly. Other issues can include dirty heads, broken plastic gears, bad capstans, and oxidized contacts.
Decent units go fast so it's no surprise that you don't always find good ones unless you go to those stores on a daily basis like some people do. I assume they're going to resell them somewhere. A lot of resale stores do split the remotes and put those in bags on the walls which is not a good idea. In other cases, some people might have donated the units without remotes. Many of the universal ones work fine with a lot of gear out there but you have to spend time programming them.

Earlier today, I heard John Lennon's "Merry Xmas (War is Over)" played twice in a row on WDOK. Must have been a scheduling mistake or everyone at Star loves that song so much.

Back
Top Bottom