• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chaka Khan. Chaka Khan. Let me rock you, Chaka Khan.

Well, I'm not going to argue about why that is
It’s ok, we know the reason.
but I will point out that much modern rap that I've heard tends to have a very bass heavy
It has bass? 😱 Is it all about that bass?
, very dark sounding beat with most lyrics that aren't sampled delivered in a rather harsh, angry, and negative tone.
So…hard rock? Punk? Metal?
I'm not trying to say that all modern rap is like this, but as I said, much of it that I've heard does seem to fit this description to various extents.
And not all pop music has been about sex, drugs and violence for decades, but much of it does seem to fit this description to various extents.

"They took turns at Becky. There was three of them." -- Coward of the County.
"I told you once, you son of a b---- (or gun). I'm the best that's ever been!" -- The Devil Went Down to Georgia.
"My name is Sue! How do you do! You gonna die!" -- A Boy Named Sue.
Just because someone talks in a song doesn't make it Rap, imho.

Pigmeat Markham was a singer and comedian. He was on the TV show "Laugh-In for one season. He had a Top 20 hit called "Here Comes The Judge" in 1968. It was a comedy/ novelty hit based on that line used on "Laugh-In". It's worth checking out. IT'S RAP!!!! That's not a stretch ... in a comic setting, it's all there.

Pigmeat Markham was a singer and comedian. He was on the TV show "Laugh-In for one season. He had a Top 20 hit called "Here Comes The Judge" in 1968. It was a comedy/ novelty hit based on that line used on "Laugh-In". It's worth checking out. IT'S RAP!!!! That's not a stretch ... in a comic setting, it's all there.
Shorty Long recorded the same song and also had a hit with it. Thematically, the song was similar to Joe Tex's "Skinny Legs and All," another proto-rap hit. Tex's 1972 "I Gotcha" went even further in the rap direction.

One of Rap's great story-tellers was Slick Rick. He did a song called "Children's Story" which is interesting. It was a Top 5 hit on R&B and Hip-Hop/Rap charts. Unless I only heard an edited version on the radio, Ludacris, with Mary J. Blige, did "Runaway Love" , released in 2007, which tells devastatingly sad stories of young girls in deep trouble. The problem with "Runaway Love" is that, as I remember it, while Luda builds up a compelling narrative, he offers no worthy solution(s) to all of the terrible troubles described which would have made a satisfactory conclusion to the piece.

How about Kenny Rogers and Coward of the County, with sexual violence, a 2-fer. Afternoon Delight was about you-know-what in the daytime.
And Van Morrison was not talking about a poker game "behind the stadium".

Shorty Long recorded the same song and also had a hit with it. Thematically, the song was similar to Joe Tex's "Skinny Legs and All," another proto-rap hit. Tex's 1972 "I Gotcha" went even further in the rap direction.
Thanks for the update. I haven't heard Shorty Long's version. As for Joe Tex, I don't "hear" much Rap in either song, although "I Gotcha" gets close.

Thanks for the update. I haven't heard Shorty Long's version. As for Joe Tex, I don't "hear" much Rap in either song, although "I Gotcha" gets close.
Long and Markham were on the charts at the same time. Which one you heard depended on which one your local Top 40 or R&B station chose to play. I can't imagine that many played both.

What?!?! I’m shocked. 😂

Next you’ll tell me Little Red Corvette wasn’t really about a car.

Or Sugar Walls wasn’t about a house constructed of candy.
Country artist Dierks Bentley has a side project called the Hot Country Knights (actually Bentley himself and his road band playing under assumed names), who specialize in double-entendre send-ups of cliched country music themes.

Long and Markham were on the charts at the same time. Which one you heard depended on which one your local Top 40 or R&B station chose to play. I can't imagine that many played both.
Yes. They were out at the same time, however Shorty Long's version does not approach Rap at all like Pigmeat Markham's take does. Markham's is something special in regards to Rap which wouldn't become a hit genre for another decade.

Sex, drugs and violence have been part popular music for years, but we’re going to single out rap? Barry Manilow for crying out loud, and Copacabana 😀.

How about Kenny Rogers and Coward of the County, with sexual violence, a 2-fer. Afternoon Delight was about you-know-what in the daytime.

And drugs? Come on, let’s be real. That was a recurring theme in all kinds of songs.

But gee, I wonder why it is that rap gets repeatedly singled out for songs with those topics. Hmmm….what could it be…what could it be….
Contemporary music has always been about sex for the most part.

This is Pollyannish, but bear with me…if Rap lyrics would focus on telling stories, instead of relying on lyrics that denigrate women and promote violence, it might be better received. Here’s a challenge for those of you that love rap music…send me complete lyrics of just one current rap song that fits the above criteria. I am always searching for new music, and will not automatically reject rap in its entirety. Also, for those that enjoy old-school rap, please consider doing the same. At least, please just send song titles, and I will do the rest!
It seems to me that a lot of the earlier stuff was more about story telling.

Ostensibly, contemporary rap still is.

But from what I've heard on the radio, I can't follow what that story might be, because it sounds more like angry ranting.

And not all pop music has been about sex, drugs and violence for decades, but much of it does seem to fit this description to various extents.
Of course! I wasn't trying to single out rap in this respect by any means.

Just because someone talks in a song doesn't make it Rap, imho.
Right.

Just fyi, since I don't think it was mentioned in this thread so far, is Rapture by Blondie, which has a rap section in it. It was released in 1980, I think.

So…hard rock? Punk? Metal?
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not saying I don't like all songs that are played with a sad, negative tone, just that I like them soft. I don't really care much for the really hard and loud stuff.

c

Back
Top Bottom