• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBSFM- Songs that should be added or re added to the rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all love 80s music but I feel like their rotation has been shortened and getting repetitive since dropping most 70s hits (Down to one an hour) Phil Collins, Richard Marx, Tina Turner, J Geils band, Fleetwood mac songs have mostly been dropped or significantly played less. Licensing issues or something else?

For the 90s its easy to play backstreet boys, Britney and Mariah but how about some Janet Jackson, Toni Braxton, Leann Rimes,Sophie B Hawkins. What other 90s song can they experiment with?

We all love 80s music but I feel like their rotation has been shortened and getting repetitive since dropping most 70s hits (Down to one an hour) Phil Collins, Richard Marx, Tina Turner, J Geils band, Fleetwood mac songs have mostly been dropped or significantly played less. Licensing issues or something else?
The decrease in '70s music is probably due to a hyperfocus on 40-49 year olds (or somewhere in that age range) and the fact that those listeners don't have memory of those songs as currents, if they were even alive then.

Stations don't program artists; they program songs.

The songs by those artists no longer test well with the target audience.
For the 90s its easy to play backstreet boys, Britney and Mariah but how about some Janet Jackson, Toni Braxton, Leann Rimes,Sophie B Hawkins. What other 90s song can they experiment with?
Stations don't experiment with library songs. They test them, and play the most mass appeal ones.

it seems like a very old way to choose the library, in the era of web radio and spotify
A million people can have Spotify on at the same time and there’s a chance that no more than a handful of them are listening to the exact same song.

Radio doesn’t have that luxury. They can only play one song at a time and that one song has to appeal to the greatest number of people possible to keep them listening.

Mariah Carey:

Emotions
Dreamlover
Fantasy
Always Be My Baby

Madonna:

Lucky Star
Borderline
Holiday
Material Girl
Like a Virgin
Dress You Up
Into the Groove
Crazy for You
Papa Don't Preach
Open Your Heart
True Blue
La Isla Bonita
Causing a Commotion
Like a Prayer
Cherish
Vogue

Time to test Madonna songs like Burning Up, Angel, Express Yourself, I'll Remember, Secret, Ray of Light, Beautiful Stranger and Music.

Michael Jackson:

Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
Rock with You
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Beat It
Billie Jean
Human Nature
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Smooth Criminal
Black or White
Remember the Time

Time to test two Michael Jackson songs like Off the Wall and You Rock My World.

Whitney Houston:

How Will I Know
I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)
So Emotional
I'm Your Baby Tonight
I Have Nothing
I'm Every Woman (like Chaka Khan)

Janet Jackson:

What Have You Done for Me Lately
Miss You Much

Time to test four Janet Jackson songs like When I Think of You, Escapade, Together Again and All for You.

Usher:

You Make Me Wanna...

Time to test Yeah! feat. Lil' Jon and Ludacris.

Phil Collins:

In the Air Tonight
You Can't Hurry Love (like The Supremes)
Sussudio
Don't Lose My Number
Take Me Home

Time to test Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.

George Michael:

Faith
Father Figure
One More Try
Freedom '90
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John)

Time to test I Want Your Sex.

Hall & Oates:

Kiss on My List
Private Eyes
I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
Maneater
Out of Touch

Time to test You Make My Dreams

Paula Abdul:

Straight Up
Opposites Attract (with the The Wild Pair)

Time to test Cold Hearted.

Prince:

I Wanna Be Your Lover
Little Red Corvette
Let's Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Kiss

Time to test U Got the Look with Sheena Easton.

Bon Jovi:

Runaway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Livin' on a Prayer
Wanted Dead or Alive
It's My Life

Time to test Bad Medicine.

TLC:

Waterfalls
No Scrubs

Time to test Unpretty.

Rod Stewart:

Do Ya Think I'm Sexy
Some Guys Have All the Luck
Forever Young
Rhythm of My Heart
Have I Told You Lately

Time to test Young Turks.

Roxette:

The Look
It Must Have Been Love

Time to test two Roxette songs like Listen to My Heart and Joyride.

Lionel Richie:

You Are
All Night Long (All Night)
Say You, Say Me

Paul McCartney:

Time to test Say, Say, Say with Michael Jackson.

Destiny's Child:

Say My Name

Time to test two Destiny's Child songs like Independent Woman, Pt. 1 and Survivor.

Cher:

If I Could Turn Back Time
Believe

Time to test I Found Someone.

Boyz II Men:

Time to test Motownphilly.

Bryan Adams:

Run to You
Heaven
Summer of '69
(Everything I Do) I Do It for You

and more songs of artists.

Many young listeners are into oldies. The people in the radio business will disagree with me, but there are songs from the 60s and 70s that have universal appeal and should be in rotation. Examples are:

My Girl -Temptations
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
Hey Jude - Beatles

I suggest classic stations have a "Heart of Rock n Roll" show on a Sunday night playing only 60s and 70s hits.

Mariah Carey:

Emotions
Dreamlover
Fantasy
Always Be My Baby

Madonna:

Lucky Star
Borderline
Holiday
Material Girl
Like a Virgin
Dress You Up
Into the Groove
Crazy for You
Papa Don't Preach
Open Your Heart
True Blue
La Isla Bonita
Causing a Commotion
Like a Prayer
Cherish
Vogue

Time to test Madonna songs like Burning Up, Angel, Express Yourself, I'll Remember, Secret, Ray of Light, Beautiful Stranger and Music.

Michael Jackson:

Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
Rock with You
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Beat It
Billie Jean
Human Nature
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Smooth Criminal
Black or White
Remember the Time

Time to test two Michael Jackson songs like Off the Wall and You Rock My World.

Whitney Houston:

How Will I Know
I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)
So Emotional
I'm Your Baby Tonight
I Have Nothing
I'm Every Woman (like Chaka Khan)

Janet Jackson:

What Have You Done for Me Lately
Miss You Much

Time to test four Janet Jackson songs like When I Think of You, Escapade, Together Again and All for You.

Usher:

You Make Me Wanna...

Time to test Yeah! feat. Lil' Jon and Ludacris.

Phil Collins:

In the Air Tonight
You Can't Hurry Love (like The Supremes)
Sussudio
Don't Lose My Number
Take Me Home

Time to test Something Happened on the Way to Heaven.

George Michael:

Faith
Father Figure
One More Try
Freedom '90
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John)

Time to test I Want Your Sex.

Hall & Oates:

Kiss on My List
Private Eyes
I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
Maneater
Out of Touch

Time to test You Make My Dreams

Paula Abdul:

Straight Up
Opposites Attract (with the The Wild Pair)

Time to test Cold Hearted.

Prince:

I Wanna Be Your Lover
Little Red Corvette
Let's Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Kiss

Time to test U Got the Look with Sheena Easton.

Bon Jovi:

Runaway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Livin' on a Prayer
Wanted Dead or Alive
It's My Life

Time to test Bad Medicine.

TLC:

Waterfalls
No Scrubs

Time to test Unpretty.

Rod Stewart:

Do Ya Think I'm Sexy
Some Guys Have All the Luck
Forever Young
Rhythm of My Heart
Have I Told You Lately

Time to test Young Turks.

Roxette:

The Look
It Must Have Been Love

Time to test two Roxette songs like Listen to My Heart and Joyride.

Lionel Richie:

You Are
All Night Long (All Night)
Say You, Say Me

Paul McCartney:

Time to test Say, Say, Say with Michael Jackson.

Destiny's Child:

Say My Name

Time to test two Destiny's Child songs like Independent Woman, Pt. 1 and Survivor.

Cher:

If I Could Turn Back Time
Believe

Time to test I Found Someone.

Boyz II Men:

Time to test Motownphilly.

Bryan Adams:

Run to You
Heaven
Summer of '69
(Everything I Do) I Do It for You

and more songs of artists.
Many young listeners are into oldies. The people in the radio business will disagree with me, but there are songs from the 60s and 70s that have universal appeal and should be in rotation. Examples are:

My Girl -Temptations
Hey Jude - Beatles

I suggest classic stations have a "Heart of Rock n Roll" show on a Sunday night playing only 60s and 70s hits.

As was mentioned above by others, terrestrial radio stations especially, aren't in the business of trying to keep every single listener happy or to cater to individual tastes or random opinions of how the station should be programmed. They're also not in the business of "throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks" by airing various songs to see how the ratings do. Most every station (and their advertisers) also have a key demographic in mind that they're trying to attract and program to. They do research and testing. Songs that test well with the greatest amount of people in their key demo are the ones that get airplay. Songs that only appeal to a few, songs liked by people who are considered "outliers" and random ideas about expanding the format or specialty programming usually don't fly. The risks are too high and margins too thin at best to do otherwise. Remember, at its core, radio is a business and must be run and operated like one. To do otherwise is asking for failure unless you're running a signal that's self-funded as more of a hobby.

Last edited:
it seems like a very old way to choose the library, in the era of web radio and spotify
The web sources don't identify songs based on your station's audience or even the age group, ethnicity and gender you target. Music tests select a proportional sample of a station's heavier users and lets them score each song on "how much I'd like to hear it on my station today".

Many young listeners are into oldies. The people in the radio business will disagree with me, but there are songs from the 60s and 70s that have universal appeal and should be in rotation.
No, they don't have "universal appeal". First, there are age considerations, and then ethnicity, gender and TSL. Unless a song scores a "passing grade" (About the equivalent of a "C" in school) with the average of a sample of listeners, it will not be played as otherwise it will drive a bunch of listeners away each time it rotates.
Examples are:

My Girl -Temptations
Hey Jude - Beatles
No significant group of listeners in any sales demo will like those enough to play. Oh,a d Neil's song is great for a stadium or a wedding, but not, BUT NOT, for airplay on any station targeting any portion of the sales demos
Good. Drive your 35-54 listeners away and get a few seniors. Lose-lose situation.

Here we go…waiting for 10 pages within a week 🤣
And we have played this song too many times already. But the site has lots of new participants, so we try to refresh the topic so that there is understanding of how one-to-many ad-supported media works.

Mariah Carey:

Emotions
Dreamlover
Fantasy
Always Be My Baby
And more.

Don't you think any station in a major market has music test information that tells us which songs are acceptable and which will drive listeners away? You made a list of a bunch of songs that, mostly, do the latter.

Has Mariah aged out of the demo. Has her music really stood up to todays listening habits. I grew up with her music being everywhere. Now I'm fine not hearing it.

What do all of those songs have in common? They were mainly Dance songs, not pop hits.

Are you trying to make CBS-FM a Dance station?

There are some really good ways to kill a radio station shared here.

The songs that should be added are ones that test well with the actual target audience. It’s not that hard. If Madonna song A tests well and song B doesn’t, you don’t play song B. Doesn’t matter why people don’t like it now even if they loved it back in 1980-something. Doesn’t matter if they like a huge chunk of her catalog but not that song. Doesn’t matter if they hate all but that one song.

They’re in business to make money, not force songs people say “no” to just for the sake of some supposed variety of songs by an artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom