• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Change at 106.7 as the Kimmer Arrives

I'm sorry, I tried, I really tried. Yesterday while working at the polls I took my lunch break and tried to listen to The Kimmer, hoping to catch up news. Couldn't take it. He was vapid, anything he said seemed insignificant. Jennifer read the news at such breakneck speed I honestly could not recall 5 minutes later what she'd reported. Kimmer seemed totally isolated from the rest of the broadcast. Many "welcome back" calls which was tedious and definitely not edifying to the audience. I'm going to miss my midday news fix because there is no place else on the dial to get it. AN1067 has stepped into a deep pile in the pasture in their Sunday shoes.

I coudl understand if they brought back a "legitimate" talk show host; someone who was doing "news" or something that closely resembles it. But Kimmer? "It's only the Kimmer." I'm done. You seemed to try more than me, Mike. Congrats!

Kimmer babes, talking about Miley Cyrus being hot and constant laughing at his own comments. Kind of sad really. The laughing is some sort of insecurity I think. The comments about the females old enough to be his great granddaughters is disturbing.

A better, fuller analysis of Kimmer 11/5/13

After pondering it, I've come to the evaluation that listening to Kim Peterson is like listening to a high school sophomore on a little 9-volt powered AM station 50 years ago. Lots of smutty language (not obscene mind you), giggling, throw-offs of serious topics, "Hey, glad you called, good to hear you, you're a good buddy!" conversation with the callers. Swipes at the station management and staff, supportive chortling by his minions. It's just not the type of radio that should be on midday. Maybe "John Boy and Opie" at 5:00 AM, but not midday.

How long are the rating periods? How long will it take The Cloud People to realize the disaster they have brought about? Surely as the election year news picks up after January, they'll maybe move him to evenings, then let him ride triumphantly back into the sunset in Florida ("hey, look what I did! I retired from a pretty strong station, went into hibernation for some years, then I came back. Boy, I sure showed Clear Channels a thing or two!")

Very sad, very sad. But then those who are delusional can never understand how far off the main stream they are.

Does The Wall Street Journal network or Bloomberg or AP or UPI or Reuters have a midday business news block they could drop in the noon slot, then go back to their regular AN format the rest of the 3-hour?

Let's hope and pray! they are already preparing a bail-out.

I may not be "middle America" but surely there are others who feel as I do.

Feedback anyone?

as stated earlier it's a train wreck and sad that the efforts of serious journalists who I'm sure work hard to try to make AN as successful as possible have a three hour laugh track in the middle of the day. There isn't another all news station in the world that would have compromised itself like this at any time mind you the middle of the day. This isn't WCBS when it aired Yankees or WBZ with its thoughtful talk shows at night, far from it.
Art

I never heard The Kimmer before and I was curious how he would fit into WYAY's programming. If it was a news oriented talk show featuring interviews with newsmakers, that's one thing, but from what I heard on the first day. this is a trainwreck. It's like the station comes to a screeching halt in the middle of the day. They run news all night,but run a three hour comedy talk show during midday? Strange move.

I am very interested in how Michelle Wright ceased to be the morning anchor. Of anybody at All News, she likely had the most job security given who was in her back pocket: Jim Mahaynay (Cumulus VP of N/T/S). He liked her and thought she did well at AN106.7.

Don't know why she is no longer the morning anchor. If you listened to the AM news drive when she was partnered with Andy Rose, it was terrible. A change was inevitable. I don't follow ratings, but I bet the PM drive with Greg Black and whoever they partnered with him (Cheryl Castro, Melissa Carter, etc.) had much higher ratings than the AM news block. WSB is a tough nut to crack and they probably did themselves a favor by making a change.

I don't know if I would call this a big change. Other than this message board I doubt anyone else cares. It's like if a tree falls in the forest ......

How long are the rating periods? How long will it take The Cloud People to realize the disaster they have brought about? Surely as the election year news picks up after January, they'll maybe move him to evenings, then let him ride triumphantly back into the sunset in Florida ("hey, look what I did! I retired from a pretty strong station, went into hibernation for some years, then I came back. Boy, I sure showed Clear Channels a thing or two!")

Well, I imagine it's a short trip. Pretty sure he's doing the show from his home in Florida. So he'll just have to turn off his microphone.

Sad. I was hoping for the Kimmer Show as it was back in the Newsmonster days.

I enjoyed the Kimmer on occasion back in the day. Early on he was an excellent radio news guy. But this just seems weird on this station. I've been listening online to his new show for a minute or two here and there, and it sounds like going back in time--exact same bits (like "please, I beg of you...we are professionals...") And the last time, just now, fart sounds. Right. Sad. Why couldn't he go back further in time to his WSB news days?

I just got word from a friend of mine that Kimmer called in to his own show from the hospital. He had a heart attack. Pete Davis is subbing for him. As much as we don't like his old schtick, perhaps some well wishes for the guy are in order.

Well, when The Kimmer was in studio on Veterans Day, I do remember him saying he had eaten something over the weekend IIRC, and then he mentioned he was having some pain in the chest. Now, he's become a victim of his having what he's saying because it says in the Bible that you can have what you say both good and bad. For example, the more you keep saying, "You're killing me," it will eventually result in anything life-threatening (heart attack, early death, etc.) The same is true if you keep saying something like, "This takes my breath away." Occasionally, when he has to wrap up a call real fast, he ends with "I gotta go. You're killing me." There's nothing wrong with saying that you have to go. If you have to go, you have to go. A better phrase would be either "I gotta go. You're hurting my ears." or "I gotta go. Your voice is annoying." I say that because sometimes, some people's voices when they talk on the phone can be annoying to others. It's better than saying "I gotta go. You're killing me." Now, if someone is literally causing you to be in pain, telling that person that he or she is hurting you and that they need to stop is the common sense way to go in that situation. I do not wish ill of The Kimmer. I want him to live a long time. With him back in Atlanta, I want him to keep his radio gig a long time until the day comes that he wants to leave on good terms without anyone forcing him to leave by way of firing him. Of course, I can say all this all I want, but if The Kimmer isn't taking good care of himself, he will die an early death. I do not wish an early death on The Kimmer. He's too valuable to the Atlanta market. Anyway, that is all.

Thank you, Brother Fan.

Let's all rise and stand for the offering, followed by the benediction.

Drive safely.

My apologies …

… for what may have been interpreted as an offensive reply. I just thought the biblical and theological/philosophical interpretation of one who hardly seems religiously oriented (at least in his professional persona to be contradictory.

And, meaning no disrespect, wishing no ill will, and casting no negatives, does anyone believe this might be a graceful way out of this situation for AN1067? Surely they would not stoop to such a depth. Can we say it just may be a sad, very sad, coincidence?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom