• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Change at 106.7 as the Kimmer Arrives

I really hope this isn't true. I liked the Kimmer, but last thing AN1067 needs is a talk show. That opens the door to opinion and spin. They may as well just man up and flip it to an all talk station rather than play the "we'll try it first" angle which will likely lead to more talk.

Statement from All News 106.7's Kim Peterson printed in the AJC:

"It feels like coming home for the holidays. I'm really thrilled! We want to bring back a little common sense to the news/talk business and do some serious fooling around, too. We're bringing back the team – Jim Gossett’s ‘Newsmaker Line’ and sports with Pete “Snake” Davis -- so nobody is safe from ridicule. Sounds like fun."

With Kim Peterson doing a midday talk show, infomercials airing on the weekend and baseball on the way, 106.7 will hardly be "all news" any more. Why not change to "newsradio 106.7".? Many stations that mix news,talk and other features use the newsradio moniker.

There are very few stations that are 24/7 all news any more. WINS and KYW come to mind. Even WCBS carries 60 minutes and some football, as does WBBM in Chicago.

And some people on this board actually think you have to give it 5 years. I have not seen an All News format to even last five years.

With Kim Peterson doing a midday talk show, infomercials airing on the weekend and baseball on the way, 106.7 will hardly be "all news" any more. Why not change to "newsradio 106.7".? Many stations that mix news,talk and other features use the newsradio moniker.

There are very few stations that are 24/7 all news any more. WINS and KYW come to mind. Even WCBS carries 60 minutes and some football, as does WBBM in Chicago.

All News was never put on the air to even come close to ever beating WSB and becoming the go to spot on the dial for news weather and traffic., it is and was a spot carrier. Their not so subtle move away from 24-7 news is actually smart, the Braves and their new talk shows will generate new and more audience and you'll likely see their ratings improve beyond where they've been the last 15 or so months.

And WCBS carries the Yankees as well. I think the suggestion of re-branding to "Newsradio" is valid and should be seriously considered.

maybe Wayne will ome back as well,but since the Braves wil be on 106.7 next year he would have to drop the "no offense",because the braves big shots might not like it after the playoff debacle.lol:)

While it will be nice to have Peterson back on local radio after 6 years i just wish this was not the way it happens. It was nice to have a news station available whenever i got in the car but i see its no longer meant to be. Maybe i will just spend more time on 92.9 or go back to streaming music. I was cool listening to Kim Peterson on my PM commute those years because it was an entertaining program. Now my PM commute is usually 1 to 2 so his show will work good for me. I hope Maria will still be there when i go to work but i expect Red Eye Radio is coming to over night. And while Savage is the closest to mainstream conservative talk for me to support anymore so he has to be coming to 106.7fm also. I guess PM all news may dissappear.

While it will be nice to have Peterson back on local radio after 6 years i just wish this was not the way it happens. It was nice to have a news station available whenever i got in the car but i see its no longer meant to be. Maybe i will just spend more time on 92.9 or go back to streaming music. I was cool listening to Kim Peterson on my PM commute those years because it was an entertaining program. Now my PM commute is usually 1 to 2 so his show will work good for me. I hope Maria will still be there when i go to work but i expect Red Eye Radio is coming to over night. And while Savage is the closest to mainstream conservative talk for me to support anymore so he has to be coming to 106.7fm also. I guess PM all news may dissappear.

Alright, I don't really know what your thinking is here...but the only two (YES, TWO!) changes being made at All News are 1) 2014 Season Braves Baseball and 2) Kim Peterson debuting November 4th at Noon. Red Eye Radio is NOT coming to overnights and Savage WILL NOT be populating the 3-6pm time slot. No plan is in the works. And what do you mean, they "have to be coming" to 106.7? According to whom exactly? A guy who has it out for All News because they compete with WSB? His incoherent musings don't matter much in the long run.

Why would a news station add a 3 hour comedy/issue talk show to the middle of the work day and not make any other changes away from all news. While i hate braves play by play making the move to 106.7 i understand the possible benefits and would not say it wants to kill the format based on that. Considering WCBS in NYC had aired Yankee games. My concern with Tech sports play by play is why does GA Tech deserve a big FM signal for its basketball or football (unless its an all sports station). If the Kim Peterson show is not an experiment then whats the purpose. Having the current news anchors open up the phone lines would not be a format killer. The fact they only made these two programming announcements does not mean more changes are not coming later on. No further announcements would be made until they are ready. Companies and radio stations often say no other changes are coming and they are lying. Not saying Cumulus is lying about any major changes at this point but since when do we trust a radio station at face value.

Rick as mentioned in an earlier post I think the move away from AN will actually benefit the station, so agree more changes away from 24-7 News will likely come. As you can see from above if that is not your opinion you're hit with a reply shouting with Capital letters, exclamation points and comments like incoherent musings, sad.
art

WCBS dumped the Yankees at the end of the 2013 season and will stick with news 24/7.

Why would a news station add a 3 hour comedy/issue talk show to the middle of the work day and not make any other changes away from all news. While i hate braves play by play making the move to 106.7 i understand the possible benefits and would not say it wants to kill the format based on that. Considering WCBS in NYC had aired Yankee games.

While i hate braves play by play making the move to 106.7 i understand the possible benefits and would not say it wants to kill the format based on that. Considering WCBS in NYC had aired Yankee games. My concern with Tech sports play by play is why does GA Tech deserve a big FM signal for its basketball or football (unless its an all sports station).

If Georgia Tech/IMG is paying for it one way or another, why not? Might also be a way to put another nail in the coffin of 790 for the big man and his bros down the hall. Georgia Tech made it quite clear in their last radio deal that they wanted an FM signal.

As I said before, adult formats lose listeners after PM drive and on weekends, and I would think all-news would be the absolute worst in that respect (vs. AC, etc.). Sports PXP is one way to pick that back up. Don't be surprised if AN opts out of the Braves' day games during the week, since the 680 signal is a beast during the day.

why does GA Tech deserve a big FM signal for its basketball or football (unless its an all sports station).

Cumulus make$ money off GA Tech $port$.

GA Tech is the only major college sports team in Atlanta proper. With out getting into the whole Georgia / Tech rivalry, Tech occasionally does very well and has had several nationally ranked Football and Basketball teams. 106.7 is Cumulus' #3 or #4 FM signal (population in 60 dbm) coverage wise in the Atlanta market. 99.7 first, 101.5 second, and 100.5 could be third or forth:

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...0.5&contour=60&city=COLLEGE_PARK&state=GA.kml

and 106.7 could be forth:

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...06.7&contour=60&city=GAINESVILLE&state=GA.kml

IMHO Cumulus should have put All News on 100.5 with the stereo turned off (and have a really competitive signal with WSB / WSBB 99.5) and put the train wreck (ratings wise) WNNX on 106.7. I seriously doubt that TRG's have a lot of listeners that wake up in side of 285.

At one time Cumulus had filed with the FCC to swap the 106.7 signal with 106.5 WSKZ Chattanooga. IIRC They would had WYAY (106.5) on a tower inside of the perimeter and changed the City of License to Sandy Springs, but they backed out.

True, WCBS had been running the Yankees till last month. And 1010 WINS NYC ran the Yankees a few decades ago. Some of the CBS All-News stations in other markets run some weekend live sports. All-News KOMO Seattle used to run the Mariners. Interesting that KOMO Seattle had tried midday news-talk shows (always news-driven and caller-driven, not opinion shows) but gave that up. KCBS San Francisco also tried a midday news magazine, including having callers ask questions some years ago but went back to the All-News format in middays.

By the way, KYW Philadelphia does a couple of news round-ups, I think at noon and at 3pm, where the anchor interviews reporters at length when they come back from covering stories. But again, that's news driven. And they still get in Traffic & Weather Together on the 2's.

I hope Cumulus isn't getting nervous about WYAY's ratings. Among the three new All-News stations in Atlanta, Houston and Washington, WYAY has the better ratings. I hope the Kimmer show will be news driven and still does Traffic & Weather Together every ten minutes.

Two things I absolutely disagree with: Infomercials on weekends. A terrible idea, especially on weekend mornings. Don't they realize that All-News stations do much better in the ratings on weekend mornings? When other stations don't have their usual morning shows, All-News stations that run their normal formats on Saturdays and Sundays produce better ratings, sometimes better than weekdays. Adults want news, weather, sports, traffic, etc. when they wake up, be it weekdays OR weekends. We're not teenagers or college students staying up late Friday and Saturday and sleeping late weekends.

And why do the anchors read sports outside drive times? A sportscaster should do all the :15 and :45 updates, even if during fringe times they might be recorded. If some breaking sports news occurs, the anchor could add it at the end of the report.

I wonder if Cumulus doesn't fully understand the All-News concept? When I go to my sink, I expect cold and hot water at all times, 3pm or 3am, weekend or weekday. Apple juice is nice but I don't expect it to come out of my tap some hours of the week. I think as radio listeners, we're conditioned to expect live sports at times, breaking the format. But not infomercials or talk shows.

True, WCBS had been running the Yankees till last month. And 1010 WINS NYC ran the Yankees a few decades ago. Some of the CBS All-News stations in other markets run some weekend live sports. All-News KOMO Seattle used to run the Mariners. Interesting that KOMO Seattle had tried midday news-talk shows (always news-driven and caller-driven, not opinion shows) but gave that up. KCBS San Francisco also tried a midday news magazine, including having callers ask questions some years ago but went back to the All-News format in middays.

By the way, KYW Philadelphia does a couple of news round-ups, I think at noon and at 3pm, where the anchor interviews reporters at length when they come back from covering stories. But again, that's news driven. And they still get in Traffic & Weather Together on the 2's.

I hope Cumulus isn't getting nervous about WYAY's ratings. Among the three new All-News stations in Atlanta, Houston and Washington, WYAY has the better ratings. I hope the Kimmer show will be news driven and still does Traffic & Weather Together every ten minutes.

Two things I absolutely disagree with: Infomercials on weekends. A terrible idea, especially on weekend mornings. Don't they realize that All-News stations do much better in the ratings on weekend mornings? When other stations don't have their usual morning shows, All-News stations that run their normal formats on Saturdays and Sundays produce better ratings, sometimes better than weekdays. Adults want news, weather, sports, traffic, etc. when they wake up, be it weekdays OR weekends. We're not teenagers or college students staying up late Friday and Saturday and sleeping late weekends.

And why do the anchors read sports outside drive times? A sportscaster should do all the :15 and :45 updates, even if during fringe times they might be recorded. If some breaking sports news occurs, the anchor could add it at the end of the report.

I wonder if Cumulus doesn't fully understand the All-News concept? When I go to my sink, I expect cold and hot water at all times, 3pm or 3am, weekend or weekday. Apple juice is nice but I don't expect it to come out of my tap some hours of the week. I think as radio listeners, we're conditioned to expect live sports at times, breaking the format. But not infomercials or talk shows.

Umm Wyay is just following the KGO-Am formula look KGO-AM is supposed to be mostly news and Info to compete against KCBS-FM in San Francisco but WYAY is looking for a Ronn Owens or a Brian Copeland type person for the Atlanta Market.

I hope Cumulus isn't getting nervous about WYAY's ratings. Among the three new All-News stations in Atlanta, Houston and Washington, WYAY has the better ratings.

If WSB had not changed, AN106.7 would be much better ratings-wise (IMHO). AN106.7 caused WSB to tighten up and deliver a better product, resulting in virtually no loss of ratings. I bet most of AN106.7 listeners are new residents.

I hope the Kimmer show will be news driven and still does Traffic & Weather Together every ten minutes.

The Kimmer show will probably take a format much similar to Eric Erickson's.

Infomercials on weekends. A terrible idea, especially on weekend mornings. Don't they realize that All-News stations do much better in the ratings on weekend mornings? When other stations don't have their usual morning shows, All-News stations that run their normal formats on Saturdays and Sundays produce better ratings, sometimes better than weekdays. Adults want news, weather, sports, traffic, etc. when they wake up, be it weekdays OR weekends. We're not teenagers or college students staying up late Friday and Saturday and sleeping late weekends.

Amen! This town doesn't take weekends off and shouldn't be treated like it does.

The Kimmer show will probably take a format much similar to Eric Erickson's.

I hope to God that Jennifer Perry has told Kimmer to not be LIKE Erick Erickson. Nobody wants to hear the vile and sexists chats about coat-hangers and the like on yet another signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom