• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Apollo, Standard General make $8 billion bid for Tegna

Will Tegna pump the brakes on this offer like they did with Apollo and Standard General over potential antitrust issues?

Will Tegna pump the brakes on this offer like they did with Apollo and Standard General over potential antitrust issues?
These types of deals always include provisions for divesting any properties that would create market conflicts. This will be true for both Apollo/Cox and Allen Media. The particular stations to be spun can be specified in the sale agreement and perhaps held in a trust or spun to a sidecar company while their own final sales are negotiated and approved.

I would think any sale of Tegna to Allen Media would fly through the approval process (assuming necessary divestitures) due to the push for greater minority representation in media ownership.

Byron Allen is the best if TEGNA wants to sell, unlike Apollo which has a lot to spin off even if it's Standard General. I think with Allen Media it's just a couple of stations they would have to sell but I'm not sure on the overlaps with TEGNA & Allen Media.

i wonder if Standard General or Byron Allen will still want TEGNA if Sinclair goes bankrupt and goes for sale or at least sells a portion of their stations to make up for lost revenue, especially with the Bally Sports purchase backfiring and ROH being snakebit by AEW's arrival as a wrestling promotion and the covid19 pandemic taking away fans.

I really think that Byron Allen is going to buy TEGNA they may say sometime in the next couple of weeks that TEGNA will be selling just in my opinion. I think it's an outside chance that TEGNA says they aren't going to sell.

Talks between Tegna, Standard General and Apollo have hit a roadblock. Details here.

Talks between Tegna, Standard General and Apollo have hit a roadblock. Details here.
One thing to keep in mind is that any merger/acquisition negotiations usually are done in relative secrecy, and often stretch out over many months, sometimes over a year before a deal is announced. The current Tegna/Apollo/Allen dance is being played out more openly.

It still seems that Tegna is interested in being acquired, and we are seeing haggling over price points. Any antitrust issues can be resolved with spinoffs, which would be detailed in any sales agreement.

If Tegna was determined to remain an independent company, they would have rejected the buyout offers out of hand months ago.

Sounds like as long as WSB identifies itself as a Cox station as opposed to being a component of Apollo and WXIA/WATL identifies as Standard General without naming Apollo as such, there will be no triopoly issues.

Sounds like as long as WSB identifies itself as a Cox station as opposed to being a component of Apollo and WXIA/WATL identifies as Standard General without naming Apollo as such, there will be no triopoly issues.
Looking elsewhere, there'll be issues in Jacksonville WJAX/WFOX (Cox, CBS/FOX) & WTLV/WJXX (TEGNA, NBC/ABC) & Seattle KIRO (Cox, CBS) & KING/KONG (TEGNA, NBC, IND).

Don’t assume that. The FCC and DOJ will be very interested and aware of ownership stakes in both companies.

I’ll cite a radio example from here in Houston, where iHeart was stripped of two full signal FMs some years back because some of the iHeart investors wound up with stakes in two other rimshot FMs, putting them over the market cap.

Re-reading the article, yeah. There'd have to be some change of hands along the line. First they've got to get past antitrust issues.

I think of Apollo as owning Cox Byron Allen would be better for buying TEGNA than Apollo/Standard General A.K.A. Media General coming back from the dead. I hope the DOJ & The FCC would deny Apollo if they buy TEGNA since they already own Cox Media and be over the cap.

TEGNA has been sold to Standard General for $5.4 billion. As a result of this, Cox Media Group will acquire TEGNA's stations in Austin (KVUE), Dallas (WFAA), & Houston (KHOU). In terms of ABC, this'll be a big boost for Cox, especially if they can keep powerhouse WSB in Atlanta which is possible how TEGNA has quite a relationship with NBC owning so many affiliates in big markets, WXIA will probably go with TEGNA to Standard General. https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/tegna-selling-to-standard-general-for-5-4-billion/

TEGNA has been sold to Standard General for $5.4 billion. As a result of this, Cox Media Group will acquire TEGNA's stations in Austin (KVUE), Dallas (WFAA), & Houston (KHOU). In terms of ABC, this'll be a big boost for Cox, especially if they can keep powerhouse WSB in Atlanta which is possible how TEGNA has quite a relationship with NBC owning so many affiliates in big markets, WXIA will probably go with TEGNA to Standard General. https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/tegna-selling-to-standard-general-for-5-4-billion/
This will be messy, due to Apollo’s ownership stakes in CMG and the TEGNA acquisition. FCC and DOJ might put up more than a few roadblocks requiring a restructure of the deal. Multiple market conflicts.

The KHOU and WFAA spin-offs also include the duopoly stations in those markets (KTBU and KMPX.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom